• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any Experiences Open Carrying A Handcannon In Central VA (Judge etc) ?

half_life1052

I just purchased a Public Defender for my wife and I am thinking back to the story a few months ago about the kids in Lynchburg getting hassled for a Mac11. If I recall correctly the cop made a big todo about "a gun like that".Any experiences carrying big revolvers like the judge or similar? I don't have the pistol in hand yet to test fire it. Anyone have thoughts on the recoil etc?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Hey, PeterNap! Half_life thinks a Judge is a big revolver!

Shhhh. Don't tell him about Ruger Redhawks and Alaskans, nor S&W 629s. :)

You should be fine, HL. There are plenty of revolvers of a similar size and larger that are just fine for carry. For example, a 4" S&W .357mag six-shooter is plenty big, slightly longer than a 1911 if I recall. So are the Ruger .357s with 4" barrels.

Judges and Defenders have been around for a while now. And, its not like they are a hunting revolver. If a cop says something about your Defender, he woulda said something about anything else you were carrying, too.

Last edited:

DJEEPER

Uhm, a pistol is a pistol.

DJRichmondOC1.jpg

half_life1052

Hey, PeterNap! Half_life thinks a Judge is a big revolver!

Shhhh. Don't tell him about Ruger Redhawks and Alaskans, nor S&W 629s. :)

You should be fine, HL. There are plenty of revolvers of a similar size and larger that are just fine for carry. For example, a 4" S&W .357mag six-shooter is plenty big, slightly longer than a 1911 if I recall. So are the Ruger .357s with 4" barrels.

Judges and Defenders have been around for a while now. And, its not like they are a hunting revolver. If a cop says something about your Defender, he woulda said something about anything else you were carrying, too.
Sorry I asked. I have fired .44 with 9" barrels and .357 with knee length barrels ;) . Now how many of you have pulled the trigger on one of these
5in54mk45.jpg

This gun is hand loaded,hand aimed, and hand fired(at least it can be). I think that qualifies it as a handgun. ;)

VApatriot

I don't know about big revolvers and the like, but I OC'd my XD in Lynchburg this past weekend. It was only for gas and a quick run inside the convenience store, but I didn't have any problems.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The Judge will be fine. It's not that big. I've found it's best not to carry the biggers places where I didn't want to attract attention. Cracker Barrel is a good example. I carry Girlie guns like Glocks there:lol:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
You should be dandy half_life. Our tall bearded friend here used to OC a Judge with him everywhere before he switched to a Glock and he had no issue with it. I occasionally carry my Taurus revolver with a 6 1/2" barrel and don't have any hassle either. Of course with the size and the big tan holster it does get noticed more than my more compact pistols. :)

Marco

All of my carry guns are Full sized.... Coonan, Glock24 and Glock 20, LAR Grizzley, S&W 610, Rossi Ranch hand , no issues.

DJEEPER

Just remember, that a bigger gun isnt necessarily better contrary to popular belief.

If I had my AR pistol on while my XDm40 is on my hip, In a crisis I would grab for my XDm40 first because it is quicker to dispatch.