• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NEW YORK protects gun permit holders privacy!

TFred

Ok folks I am starting to get ANGRY about this.

After years of introducing bills to protect the privacy of Virgina CHP holders, only to be shot down by death-star committees and last year killed by a REPUBLICAN Senator Norment, we finally have the New York newspaper fiasco which outraged the entire country, giving us a decent chance to get it out of the Senate this year, and we can't get ANYONE in the whole Virginia General Assembly to even put the bill IN this year!

Even NEW YORK has protected their permit holders' privacy. How utterly disgusting and downright embarrassing that we can't get this bill in this year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/16/n...w-restricts-public-access-to-permit-data.html

TFred

TFred

You did look at what that "protection" cost NY though right?
I don't know what you mean. Yes, the rest of the law is an abomination and a direct insult to the law-abiding citizens of New York, but in this one area, it embarrasses Virginia that they have seen the value in protecting the identities of their gun owner list, while Virginia still has not.

http://theconservativetreehouse.com...s-the-new-new-york-gunownership-restrictions/

I love the headline of this article, "Stuck on Stupid"... hard to find better words for the most of this new law.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

OC for ME

Ok folks I am starting to get ANGRY about this.

After years of introducing bills to protect the privacy of Virgina CHP holders, only to be shot down by death-star committees and last year killed by a REPUBLICAN Senator Norment, we finally have the New York newspaper fiasco which outraged the entire country, giving us a decent chance to get it out of the Senate this year, and we can't get ANYONE in the whole Virginia General Assembly to even put the bill IN this year!

Even NEW YORK has protected their permit holders' privacy. How utterly disgusting and downright embarrassing that we can't get this bill in this year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/16/n...w-restricts-public-access-to-permit-data.html

TFred
Is VA a open carry state? Is a CHP required to OC?

TFred

Is VA a open carry state? Is a CHP required to OC?
Absolutely yes, a CHP is required to Open Carry, if you want to not be a Federal Felon, and you wish to move about within any of the urban or suburban areas of the state, which is literally impossible to do without encroaching upon a 1,000 foot radius of some school property.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Absolutely yes, a CHP is required to Open Carry, if you want to not be a Federal Felon, and you wish to move about within any of the urban or suburban areas of the state, which is literally impossible to do without encroaching upon a 1,000 foot radius of some school property.

TFred

Also in accordance with the Joint Resolution (et tu Brute) in the GA and Capitol Buildings.

TFred

TFred

Also in accordance with the Joint Resolution (et tu Brute) in the GA and Capitol Buildings.
Ah, yes, that too!

TFred

OC for ME

TFred
"If" is not the issue. The 1000 rule does not apply beyond the 1000 feet. Is a CHP required to OC in Virginia? It seems, based on your response, that a CHP is not required to OC in Virginia. But, this is beyond the scope of the OP. I will rephrase; if you do not have a CHP then a database of CHP holders is irrelavent to the OCing citizen.

TFred

"If" is not the issue. The 1000 rule does not apply beyond the 1000 feet. Is a CHP required to OC in Virginia? It seems, based on your response, that a CHP is not required to OC in Virginia. But, this is beyond the scope of the OP. I will rephrase; if you do not have a CHP then a database of CHP holders is irrelavent to the OCing citizen.
And again, I will answer, if you live in any area that is not absolute "sticks", and you want to leave your house and go to work or to a store or to just about anywhere else, then yes, you will be committing a federal crime if you do so without having a CHP.

Yes, we all know this is virtually never enforced. But the law is there. If you wish to stay within the letter of the law, a CHP is required for the vast majority of Virginia residents due to their proximity to some school property.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Many do have however.

Who is next under the wheels of the bus? Hunters? Target shooters?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Let's be fair here about the Federal law, it not only affects those who OC without a permit, but affects any person who is in possession of any firearm on public grounds without the firearm being locked and carried within the specific requirements of the law. This includes hunters, folks simply transporting their firearms to the range or shop, or someone just bringing a gun home from the store for the first time if they do not have a CHP. With only about 250,000 CHP holders (I think that was about the last number I recall seeing) and certainly far more gun owners than that around the state, it affects nearly anyone with a gun that doesn't follow the specific transportation requirements.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Many do have however.

Who is next under the wheels of the bus? Hunters? Target shooters?

There's another issue though. Many of us work very hard for transparency laws. How many classes of people have a blanket exemption from them?....Really none I know of.

There is a solution though. Pass a law that requires the court in a persons Venue, at no charge, upon application of a CHP holder, to seal his/her record.

Last edited:

TFred

There's another issue though. Many of us work very hard for transparency laws. How many classes of people have a blanket exemption from them?....Really none I know of.

There is a solution though. Pass a law that requires the court in a persons Venue, at no charge, upon application of a CHP holder, to seal his/her record.
That is actually the basic way the New York law works.

From the original post's linked article:

The new law, passed on Tuesday, requires that, for the next 120 days, no information about gun permit holders in a new statewide gun registration database is made available publicly, according to Robert Freeman, the executive director of the State Committee on Open Government. After that, gun permit holders will have the right to have their names and addresses removed from the database by contacting their local county clerks or police departments.​

I am absolutely fine with that. I would even be OK with opening a CHP record if a person is later convicted of a gun crime. That seems to be what the newspapers are so interested in.

TFred

T-Jack

TFred

Okay, so I'm a little confused at the moment. I was under the impression that OC in VA was legal without a CHP. Has something changed? What's the deal here? As far as schools are concerned, I thought you just couldn't go on property.

TFred

TFred

Okay, so I'm a little confused at the moment. I was under the impression that OC in VA was legal without a CHP. Has something changed? What's the deal here? As far as schools are concerned, I thought you just couldn't go on property.
In practical terms, there is almost no chance that you will have a problem. In actual terms, there is a Federal law called the Gun Free School Zone Act, which states that a person may not carry a firearm within 1,000 feet of any school property, unless they are holding a license to carry firearms from the state in which they are situated.

If you pull up a Google map, you will quickly see that it is virtually impossible to live in any urban or suburban area without encroaching inside this 1,000 foot zone. If you want to get REALLY technical, Virginia does not actually issue a license to carry a firearm, so in fact, EVERY citizen in Virginia who carries a firearm (within 1,000 feet of any school property) is a Federal felon.

TFred

Last edited:

OC for ME

<snip> If you want to get REALLY technical, Virginia does not actually issue a license to carry a firearm, so in fact, EVERY citizen in Virginia who carries a firearm (within 1,000 feet of any school property) is a Federal felon.

TFred
A database of CHP(L) holders is moot if you are not within the 1000' zone. The practicality of this is not the issue re the OP.

Please allow me to explain. It is my understanding that a CHP(L) means that you can carry concealed, not that you must carry concealed. Is there a requirement in VA law that a citizen who has been issued a CHP(L) must carry concealed if within the 1000' zone. If there is no legal requirement to only carry concealed within the 1000' zone and you are OC does LE have RAS to stop a citizen who is witnessed to be in possession of a firearm within the 1000' zone. Or, is it, or could it be, logically presumed by a LEO that a citizen must have CHP(L) because no criminal would, or a citizen not issued a CHP(L) would OC within the 1000' zone.

If a citizen does not have a CHP(L) then that citizen must be vigilant in their travels to avoid any legal entanglements. I agree, VA must have a CHP(L) database secured from public scrutiny.

TFred

A database of CHP(L) holders is moot if you are not within the 1000' zone. The practicality of this is not the issue re the OP.

Please allow me to explain. It is my understanding that a CHP(L) means that you can carry concealed, not that you must carry concealed. Is there a requirement in VA law that a citizen who has been issued a CHP(L) must carry concealed if within the 1000' zone. If there is no legal requirement to only carry concealed within the 1000' zone and you are OC does LE have RAS to stop a citizen who is witnessed to be in possession of a firearm within the 1000' zone. Or, is it, or could it be, logically presumed by a LEO that a citizen must have CHP(L) because no criminal would, or a citizen not issued a CHP(L) would OC within the 1000' zone.

If a citizen does not have a CHP(L) then that citizen must be vigilant in their travels to avoid any legal entanglements. I agree, VA must have a CHP(L) database secured from public scrutiny.
What is a CHP(L)?

TFred