• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting around magazine round limits - technical solution?

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...e+magazine+"part+of+the+gun"&hl=en&as_sdt=2,7

US v. Woodfolk, 656 A. 2d 1145 - DC: Court of Appeals 1995

We cannot agree that as a matter of law, a magazine must be deemed an integral part of a machine gun so that the "expertise" test of Curtice is determinative.[4] Officer Dandridge, who was qualified as an expert on the subject of firearms testing, testified that a magazine was not an integral part of the machine gun itself but rather an accessory. He testified that when buying a machine gun, one often will get two magazines to go with the weapon. Similarly, Officers Lucas and Baxter, who responded to the radio run,[5] testified without objection that the magazine was not a part of the gun but was separate. Officer Baxter described the magazine as "just a reservoir for holding ammunition." Officer Lucas said that the magazine was "an accessory, separate in itself." Other testimony and pictures shown to the jury also demonstrated the ready removability and separate nature of the magazine.

Internal mag guns look like they would not be covered with a mag limit

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
None of the machineguns had original Sten receiver tubes (the part of the gun that houses the cartridge when the weapon is fired)

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...e+magazine+"part+of+the+gun"&hl=en&as_sdt=2,7

US v. Stewart, 348 F. 3d 1132 - Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit 2003

Part of gun?

There is not much case law regarding if a magazine is "part of the gun" ... so if they outlaw this part, then your gun won't operate as designed .. and an AR platform is designed around a 30 rd mag...

Last edited:

motoxmann

there needs to be some formal case where evidence is provided that many firearms are non-functional unless a magazine is currently attached to the firearm. of the two handguns I own, one will fire without a mag in place, and the other will NOT fire without a mag in place. therefore the second must appropriately deem the magazine as an integral part of the firearm.

davidmcbeth

Banned
there needs to be some formal case where evidence is provided that many firearms are non-functional unless a magazine is currently attached to the firearm. of the two handguns I own, one will fire without a mag in place, and the other will NOT fire without a mag in place. therefore the second must appropriately deem the magazine as an integral part of the firearm.

Interesting argument about a specific model...also, can one design a mag so that it can be load while still attached? If so, then screw the large capacity mag into place and it is no longer a mag that would be covered by any mag ban?

BoiledFrogs

Interesting argument about a specific model...also, can one design a mag so that it can be load while still attached? If so, then screw the large capacity mag into place and it is no longer a mag that would be covered by any mag ban?

I think that's called a bullet button. Feinstein called the use of one a "loophole" and intends to "fix" that "problem" this go around.

motoxmann

I think that's called a bullet button. Feinstein called the use of one a "loophole" and intends to "fix" that "problem" this go around.

david is speaking of being able to load a mag without detaching the mag from the gun.
a bullet button is a mag release button that cannot be activated by a simple press of the finger, it requires sticking something small into a hole to detach the mag, like the tip of a bullet. this was used to get around the law of "easily detachable magazine"

davidmcbeth

Banned
david is speaking of being able to load a mag without detaching the mag from the gun.
a bullet button is a mag release button that cannot be activated by a simple press of the finger, it requires sticking something small into a hole to detach the mag, like the tip of a bullet. this was used to get around the law of "easily detachable magazine"

Correct ... it would no longer make it a detachable "magazine" .. it would make it part of the gun itself.

beebobby

I don't understand what the big deal is. My AR will cycle just fine with a 10 rnd mag. It's not like I can go out hunting with a 30.

KRM59

I don't understand what the big deal is. My AR will cycle just fine with a 10 rnd mag. It's not like I can go out hunting with a 30.

So I take it you would also be fine if they told you that you can only have a Car with two seats ? give a little they will take a lot then all.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
...also, can one design a mag so that it can be load while still attached? ....

Many of the early semiautomatic pistols had integral magazines that were fed via stripper clips. I'm thinking just about any of the "modern" semiautomatic pistols could be modified to accept stripper clips.

stay safe.

motoxmann

what does cycling have to do with anything?
you can do whatever you want, but the millions upon millions of americans who own guns with mags having capacities above 10 will not allow such an atrocity. it has NOTHING TO DO WITH HUNTING!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
what does cycling have to do with anything?you can do whatever you want, but the millions upon millions of americans who own guns with mags having capacities above 10 will not allow such an atrocity. it has NOTHING TO DO WITH HUNTING!
Could he mean that the longer magazines get cought in the spokes of the wheels?Seriously, even Srurm-Ruger figued out that Bill R. was both an idjit and bad for business and renounced his 10-round magazine limit before he was fully in the ground.stay safe.