• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Contact your local Sheriff...

frairsoft

This is a call to arms, of sorts. I have contacted my local Sheriff in Larimer County Colorado. I hope that you all do as well, and at least drop the hint to him/her that you expect them to protect your rights from the people in Washington, DC. I believe if we get a large enough coalition of Sheriffs from around the country to announce that they will arrest federal officers who attempt to violate the Constitutional rights of those in his/her county, we may be able to help push back against this gun grab. Thanks for your time.

Sheriff Smith,

I am curious as to the direction that the LCSO is planning on taking if the federal government attempts to violate the 2nd Amendment rights of Larimer County residents. Will you sit idle, or will you take the lead for liberty, as many Sheriff's across the country are doing, and publicly announce that you will arrest federal officers for violations of your citizen's civil rights?

I am asking, because your website (justinsmithforsheriff.com) states the following: "Justin didn’t arrive on the scene, making the same old promises and courting the special interest groups. He started over two decades ago, serving and protecting the Citizens of Larimer County. In 1991, he took an oath to the Citizens of Larimer County uphold and protect the Constitution of the United States and the State of Colorado and he has upheld that oath every day since."

Thank You,

Quick Draw

For the record, Sheriff Smith has a very pro gun record. I have met him and have a great deal of respect for him. As a firefighter and resident affected by the High Park Fire, he did a fantastic job helping us out this summer. He also actively encourages CCW. I do not know where he stands on open carry, but he earns my respect as a good guy.

As for the other Sheriff's that do what you are suggesting: It often seems to be more of a publicity stunt than anything else.

eye95

I wouldn't say a sheriff is pro-2A unless I knew he actively supported the unfettered Right. In most jurisdictions, that is OC without a license, NOT CCW. Sheriffs who support CCW with a license are supporting a government-sponsored privilege, and not the Right.

Besides, most politicians don't know what the 2A says or means. When they say that they are pro-2A, they mean hunting, a gun in the home, or licensed carry. None of those things, by themselves, are the Right. The Right is to carry wherever and whenever the spirit moves you to do so. Does Sheriff Smith support that?

I know that the sheriff in Montgomery County, Alabama does. I wouldn't say that Sheriff Marshall is pro-2A. I'd say that he supports the individual RKBA--just as the Founders and Framers intended.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I think it is always good to have a conversation with your Politicians The more local they are the easier it is to have influence on them. The smaller the areas population the easier the contact.

Put them on notice that they are going to be held responsible for the actions they take.

Also if they do a good job let them know that also.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Last time I checked in my civics class, the only ones that could rule a law unconstitutional sit on the U.S. Supreme Court," Commissioner Steve Johnson said. "There are lots of laws as a public official that I don't like, but I don't have the authority to declare a law unconstitutional.

Not only does he has a duty to delare a law unconstitutional. He has a duty to fight to get rid of it,

I so sick of Politicians failing to up hold their duty my falling back on the excuse its not my job.

Quick Draw

I agree with that to an extent. Who is some hick town sheriff to decide what is and is not constitutional? But again, I see it as a political statement or even a publicity stunt. Maybe even an empty threat. But at the same time, he is standing for the rights of citizens. And I agree with it, so by default I must applaud him. But for those who see things differently, I can see some outrage for picking and choosig what laws he wishes to enforce.

Quick Draw

I stand corrected. I just learned that he is not required to enforce federal law. Just like they are not required to charge you with posession of marijuana in Colorado. So it seems that he is well within his job description to declare that.

Many more Sheriffs in Colorado are following suit. El Paso, Mesa and Weld County are on board.

Last edited:

notalawyer

I stand corrected. I just learned that he is not required to enforce federal law. Just like they are not required to charge you with posession of marijuana in Colorado. So it seems that he is well within his job description to declare that.

Many more Sheriffs in Colorado are following suit. El Paso, Mesa and Weld County are on board.

I just learned that he cannot enforce federal law.
Fixed it for you. (Except in very limited situations.)

Malcolm

That's awesome.

Here's what worries me and I see the beginning now. Because of the American Publics apathy at large, and their inability to fulfill their duty to the country we have this terrible unbalance within the checks and balances system. Here's why. The system only works if all parts are working, they are not. The American voters complacency has led to the executive and legislative branches becoming inoperable. This being said, our rights as Americans are being so heavily weighed upon by the Judicial Branch, AKA the Supreme Court. This is sad. Everyone is currently afraid that Justices will retire and our president will nominate individuals that do not respect America. People have that fear because they know that the Executive/Legislative Branch is not working. What do we do about it? Things like the firearm protection bill and others that are floating around states, then, we go to the county level to ask for support, then the Mayor will be our friend. We'll finally get down to our neighbors, about an hour before the fed's show up for that $3000 piece of steel in your closet. Once we fix the problems in or house (aka ourselves, immediate family), we can begin to set the example for others to follow. I may be speaking to the choir on this one, but I've been really itching to get this theory out there for a while.
We The People are the only ones that can truly fix this problem. This society needs some values, and most importantly it needs to be remembered that being involved is not a choice, its a duty. One can fulfill their duty or fail to fulfill it, the choice is theirs. My sergeant once said "Like it or not, you signed the contract, fulfill your duty". I looked him in the eyes, picked that mop up, and went to work. LOL.