Thread: OC question

OC question

Okay, so here is the scenario. I live in uptown charlotte, and I must walk across the street to get to my vehicle. Technically, if I put my handgun in a bag to take it to the range, would this not be considered carrying concealed? Since concealed anywhere on or about your body, unloaded or loaded, without a ccp is illegal, wouldn't I be forced to OC to take it to my vehicle (even if I did not want to OC)?

Quote Originally Posted by daveden View Post
    Okay, so here is the scenario. I live in uptown charlotte, and I must walk across the street to get to my vehicle. Technically, if I put my handgun in a bag to take it to the range, would this not be considered carrying concealed? Since concealed anywhere on or about your body, unloaded or loaded, without a ccp is illegal, wouldn't I be forced to OC to take it to my vehicle (even if I did not want to OC)?
    Technically....sorta yes. The big factor is accessibility, though. Put a lock on that bag and you might have a good defense.

Re: OC question

Putting in it's case or any gun case is the best option if you don't want to OC. It would be awfully hard for anyone to prove that you were doing anything other than transporting it to your car.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    The M4...serving scum the laws of terminal ballistics at 2,900FPS

Yeah, thanks for advice, that's what I'm thinking too. It's sad that we hafta formulate a "good defense" approach to carrying a legal firearm. I still plan on OC'ing, I just like knowing all my options. Also, most gun cases i've seen are generic looking, or have the maker on the gun case, like my USP has a big fat HK on the side of the gun case, so I'm basically advertising that I have a gun for a BG to steal easily since its locked up and unloaded and he has a Saturday night special and quickly gets free upgrade. Good times, OC is the way to go lol

Unless you open the case for a police officer to inspect it, it is a moot issue.

Although, if you are really concerned, why not just OC?
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

OC downton charlotte would def be awesome

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    Unless you open the case for a police officer to inspect it, it is a moot issue.

Although, if you are really concerned, why not just OC?
    lol, well yes, that's true. And the only thing i'm concerned with is knowing as much information as I can find all aspects of gun ownership, already said I don't have a problem OCing, just thought it was interesting that according to the letter of the law, the only absolutely legal way for me to transport to car was to OC.

If you are carrying in a locked gun case you should be OK. Two points is that a gun case is really not concealed because it is clearly a case for a gun. Second is that the firearm is not accessible. It has been years since I asked, but this is the explanation of a Harnett county magistrate to me. If it is a factory case that that has no lock but a firearm lock supplied by the manufacturer IMO it would not be concealed. Keep in mind I am not an attorney just speaking from common sense and what I have been told.

But why not just open carry the firearm, that solves the concealed problem totally.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump