• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC question

daveden

Okay, so here is the scenario. I live in uptown charlotte, and I must walk across the street to get to my vehicle. Technically, if I put my handgun in a bag to take it to the range, would this not be considered carrying concealed? Since concealed anywhere on or about your body, unloaded or loaded, without a ccp is illegal, wouldn't I be forced to OC to take it to my vehicle (even if I did not want to OC)?

rotorhead

Okay, so here is the scenario. I live in uptown charlotte, and I must walk across the street to get to my vehicle. Technically, if I put my handgun in a bag to take it to the range, would this not be considered carrying concealed? Since concealed anywhere on or about your body, unloaded or loaded, without a ccp is illegal, wouldn't I be forced to OC to take it to my vehicle (even if I did not want to OC)?

Technically....sorta yes. The big factor is accessibility, though. Put a lock on that bag and you might have a good defense.

11B2O

Putting in it's case or any gun case is the best option if you don't want to OC. It would be awfully hard for anyone to prove that you were doing anything other than transporting it to your car.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

daveden

Yeah, thanks for advice, that's what I'm thinking too. It's sad that we hafta formulate a "good defense" approach to carrying a legal firearm. I still plan on OC'ing, I just like knowing all my options. Also, most gun cases i've seen are generic looking, or have the maker on the gun case, like my USP has a big fat HK on the side of the gun case, so I'm basically advertising that I have a gun for a BG to steal easily since its locked up and unloaded and he has a Saturday night special and quickly gets free upgrade. Good times, OC is the way to go lol:banana:

carolina guy

Unless you open the case for a police officer to inspect it, it is a moot issue. :)

Although, if you are really concerned, why not just OC?

daveden

Unless you open the case for a police officer to inspect it, it is a moot issue. :)

Although, if you are really concerned, why not just OC?

lol, well yes, that's true. And the only thing i'm concerned with is knowing as much information as I can find all aspects of gun ownership, already said I don't have a problem OCing, just thought it was interesting that according to the letter of the law, the only absolutely legal way for me to transport to car was to OC.

WalkingWolf

If you are carrying in a locked gun case you should be OK. Two points is that a gun case is really not concealed because it is clearly a case for a gun. Second is that the firearm is not accessible. It has been years since I asked, but this is the explanation of a Harnett county magistrate to me. If it is a factory case that that has no lock but a firearm lock supplied by the manufacturer IMO it would not be concealed. Keep in mind I am not an attorney just speaking from common sense and what I have been told.

But why not just open carry the firearm, that solves the concealed problem totally.