• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama's 23 EO's

TFred

There was a lot in these and his speech that was written in between the lines.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
Does this mean that every traffic stop (or any other kind of police stop), during which an officer may discover that there is a gun in your possession, and which the officer may seize for his/her "safety" would mean you must submit to a background check before your gun is returned?

Background checks can take hours as it is now. This would mean they can disarm you for at least hours, if not days at a time for no legal reason whatsoever.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As always: to expand government power.

He'll make allies with the mental health stuff.

And, he'll pick up political capital with the masses whose knee-jerk reaction was to "do something!" about mass murders.

And he'll take much of the focus off of higher taxes, health care and our economy crashing around us.

Esanders2008

As always: to expand government power.

He'll make allies with the mental health stuff.

And, he'll pick up political capital with the masses whose knee-jerk reaction was to "do something!" about mass murders.

But this is better than we expected, right? He didn't just come out and say "ban this ban that."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Have any bills actually been introduced? I haven't written my weekly letter yet, and when I do, I want to make sure I can positively identify the bills I oppose.

At least two have been re-introduced.
The 21st or 22nd is when the real bills will start. Several have been written but not introduced yet.

Feinstein's should be introduced on the 21st.

The Federal Bills will be a slow process. We have state bills to deal with right now.

Last edited:

Esanders2008

At least two have been re-introduced.
The 21st or 22nd is when the real bills will start. Several have been written but not introduced yet.

Ok well we will have to keep on top of this. My rep, Scott Rigell, seems to have a good voting record from what I can see. But I am not sure about Virginia's senators, who are both democraps :banghead:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Ok well we will have to keep on top of this. My rep, Scott Rigell, seems to have a good voting record from what I can see. But I am not sure about Virginia's senators, who are both democraps :banghead:

It never stops Eddy!

Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.
Water, water, every where,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink.

Last edited:

Numenor

Mark Warner has been fairly good in the past, however he seems to be wavering a bit this time. Kane, well... he's a freshman and blocked the restaurant carry bill in VA while he was Governer, I'd say he's a mixed bag who will probably go for the bills.

OC for ME

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
??? How on earth will any given FFL know when to run a background check on a private sale? Or, how will any given FFL know when to assist in a private sale?

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
Irony if the NRA gets into this. Financial incentive?

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
really? Research on gun violence? Really?

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
But, does the ACA compel the patient to answer the question(s)?

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

Esanders2008

It never stops Eddy!

Day after day, day after day,We stuck, nor breath nor motion;As idle as a painted shipUpon a painted ocean.Water, water, every where,And all the boards did shrink;Water, water, every where,Nor any drop to drink.

Coleridge's "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" I like that. It's very applicable to our cause. :)

Esanders2008

Reading the proposed bills and came across this:

‘‘(ii) Clause (i) shall not apply to an at- tached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rim- fire ammunition.

What does this mean, in English?

EDIT: Oh I think I get it. Like tube magazines on a lever action .22, right?

Last edited:

Numenor

‘‘(ii) Clause (i) shall not apply to an at- tached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rim- fire ammunition.

Yeah, tubular magazines on .22's.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Many 22 rifles have a tubular magazine under the barrel.

Esanders2008

Yeah, tubular magazines on .22's.

So It appears that one bill wishes to provide a tax credit to individuals surrendering their "assault weapons". They would receive a $1000 credit one year and another $1000 the next... Hell, if this passes, I'm going to go out and find myself a cheap "scary black rifle," surrender it, and profit! No taxes for me :D :banana::p

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
But this is better than we expected, right? He didn't just come out and say "ban this ban that."

I think that if we actually expected "ban this and ban that", it would be more a testament to lack of flexibility in our own thinking; lack of ability to guesstimate. Basically a bit of political ineptness.

He's got tons of advisors and lobbyists handing him ideas, so its not whether any one or group of us could predict which ideas would be on his list; just that we'd be a bit shortsighted to not realize some sort of list like this would be coming.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
So It appears that one bill wishes to provide a tax credit to individuals surrendering their "assault weapons". They would receive a $1000 credit one year and another $1000 the next... Hell, if this passes, I'm going to go out and find myself a cheap "scary black rifle," surrender it, and profit! No taxes for me :D :banana::p

Well, yes. But, you're milking everybody else whose taxes are paying you for your rifle.

EMNofSeattle

Does this mean that every traffic stop (or any other kind of police stop), during which an officer may discover that there is a gun in your possession, and which the officer may seize for his/her "safety" would mean you must submit to a background check before your gun is returned?

Background checks can take hours as it is now. This would mean they can disarm you for at least hours, if not days at a time for no legal reason whatsoever.

TFred

maybe. but even if congress authorizes it the actions still must be legal in the state that the police officer is working in, Washington's constitution requires "authority of law" before a persons privacy may be invaded, and courts in WA have held that our privacy protection is much greater, thus officers in our state may not be able to utilize any powers congress tries to grant.

now I know this is the VA subforum, and I don't know much on VA case law, but this is just an example to illustrate maybe nothing will change depending upon the case law and protections your own state provides.

EMNofSeattle

or the in-stock magazine on the remington nylon 66....