• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A baaaad idea? Fort Bragg to stop using goats in medical training

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
We can see what the article is about from the thread title; but, we can't see what it has to do with anything or why it should be of interest.

You reveal your antipathy to courtesy with your signature line. Its just a simple courtesy to include a Fair Use quote. Not including one is bad enough, but to remain opposed and fuss back when called on it is something entirely different. To make such an issue of it, you're basically telling everybody your maturity level. I would just man-up, recognize that including a Fair Use quote is a convention with a genuine reason behind it, and just do it. Its not that hard.

Nice pun, though. Gotta appreciate that.

Last edited:

OC for ME

We can see what the article is about from the thread title; but, we can't see what it has to do with anything or why it should be of interest.

You reveal your antipathy to courtesy with your signature line. Its just a simple courtesy to include a Fair Use quote. Not including one is bad enough, but to remain opposed and fuss back when called on it is something entirely different. To make such an issue of it, you're basically telling everybody your maturity level. I would just man-up, recognize that including a Fair Use quote is a convention with a genuine reason behind it, and just do it. Its not that hard.

Nice pun, though. Gotta appreciate that.
Noted.

The thread title should prompt a reader to "click the link" only to find that the article provides nothing more than the sum of the thread title, in this particular case. Did you read the linked article? Or, did you just post your displeasure re the absence of a FUQ and not read the linked article because the thread title is all ya need to know?

Carping about the absence of a FUQ could be construed as not being courteous to those who post threads absent a FUQ who may have no idea what part of a article should be FUQ'd.

There is no pass or fail grade.

P.S. My maturity level tends to mirror others, but I'm working on this.

eye95

If it is in the link (I don't know; I didn't click the link), I would FUQ why they had been using goats and why they stopped.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would suggest using federal employees in lieu of goats ... democrats of course ... and to leave out the part about obtaining "medical" assistance...

A goat is a higher life form than a democrat...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...we can't see what it has to do with anything or why it should be of interest....

This.

And in ADDITION to a FUQ, if you find it interesting enough to link it, you should be interested enough to be able to summarize why, and start the actual discussion of it. Because that is the purpose of a thread, the discussion. Or are you just expecting replies of: "Hey, you're right; that was interesting."

As for knowing nothing but the thread title, I'm not yet interested enough to read about it and have the discussion.

Besides, I already saw the documentary.

MW1.jpg

Last edited:

eye95

1 Fort Bragg to stop using goats in medical training
2 A baaaad idea?

As much as you might be portraying that you have answered the questions, you have not. You only repeated the non-information already posted. Had I not already had a lot of respect for you, I would now seriously be questioning your motives for acting in this way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

OC for ME

As much as you might be portraying that you have answered the questions, you have not. You only repeated the non-information already posted. Had I not already had a lot of respect for you, I would now seriously be questioning your motives for acting in this way.

<o>
You are correct, I have been a baaaad boy. ;) Sorry, couldn't resist.

I found the article interesting not for the subject matter, but for the fact that the "federal government" will not listen to the people re our inalienable right to self-defense which is guaranteed under the 2A. But, the "feds" will listen to a bunch of animal rights whacos re goats and their use in training our medics to be ready to perform their duties on a battle field. Make no mistake, no "military" man worth his salt would give any animals rights whaco the time of day. Another indication of "liberal creep" into the federal bureaucracy.

The Fox story links to a local news story. the premise is askew in my view. Shoot a goat and if the medic trainee saves the animal's life he may very well save a soldiers life on the battle field.

A real goat rope, if you will, this has become. :uhoh:

eye95

I read the article. Your assessment is spot on. The animals are more important than the people.

<o>

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm a glutton for punishment, so will try to pull this back on track -

Whyfor/howcome the Army is still using goats? Just because Major Fackler could not get anything else is no reason to continue using something that in almost no way is even close to representing a human body, and it a PITA to cut into and sew up again.

Medical schools have been using pigs for centuries for a reason, and it had nothing to do with protection from jihadi terrorists. Pigs are as close to the human body as you can get in the animal kingdom. And since the pigs are already dead, or soon will be, there's no need to fret over the relative intelligence of the two species.

And if you don't screw it up too badly, you can get bacon after you are through doing the other stuff! (Just try getting bacon from a goat.:uhoh:)

stay safe.

Freedom1Man

I'm a glutton for punishment, so will try to pull this back on track -

Whyfor/howcome the Army is still using goats? Just because Major Fackler could not get anything else is no reason to continue using something that in almost no way is even close to representing a human body, and it a PITA to cut into and sew up again.

Medical schools have been using pigs for centuries for a reason, and it had nothing to do with protection from jihadi terrorists. Pigs are as close to the human body as you can get in the animal kingdom. And since the pigs are already dead, or soon will be, there's no need to fret over the relative intelligence of the two species.

And if you don't screw it up too badly, you can get bacon after you are through doing the other stuff! (Just try getting bacon from a goat.:uhoh:)

stay safe.

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/medical_training/qa/questions_answers.html
http://www.stripes.com/news/europe/...-training-on-live-animals-in-germany-1.105621

I will summarize the second link. Animals are used because, a live body is something that will cause a stress on the mental system of the medic/combat lifesaver so they are more prepared for the stress of another soldier being wounded.

That and "liberals" are too expensive to use for these types of testing.