• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama turns doctors into gun control snitches running health care spy network

Pulp

The Department of Health and Human Services is issuing a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits these reports in any way.

Nothing there that says they have to report it either. I can't speak for doctors in the big cities, but in my neck of the woods, most of the doctors own more guns than I do.

okiephlyer

The only time my Dr. mentioned guns is when we played a round of you show me yours and I'll show you mine. Mine was bigger. G23 vs Diamondback 9mm.

Archerman99

Your doctor needs to know why you are in his office, not what you own in your home! Unless there is a genuine comradery and even friendship with your doctor, I would be very hesitant to relinquish any information that wasn't pertinent to the visit at hand. I'm hoping most of us understand that and will not answer any stupid questions about guns in our homes.

Supertrapped

Imagine your kid going to the doctor and asking your kid all sorts of questions about you and your guns. Ugh.

MKEgal

Archerman99 said:
I'm hoping most of us understand that and will not answer any stupid questions about guns in our homes.
I see three ways out:
1) keep quiet, don't answer, make them try to explain how that question is related to your health care (the reason you're there that day)

2) pull out the "yes, I'm qualified to teach firearm safety and household risk management, and yes, my insurance company covers the liability associated with that" form & hand it to them to fill in & sign

3) kill them with kindness
"Yes, of course I have firearms. I also teach firearm safety. Would you like to set up a class for your staff, or did you have a safety question you'd like me to answer?"

77zach

This is what all totalitarian regimes do. There is always an alliance between psychiatry and the state to marginalize libertarians, gunowners, etc. Basically anyone the ruling class happens to dislike. This is why the fascist state of New Jersey is introducing legislation requiring a shrink to sign off on you buying a gun. This is all very transparent.

docachna

Not required to ask - not required to answer

"...The Department of Health and Human Services is issuing a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits these reports in any way...."

This appears to mean nothing more than saying that Federal law does not PROHIBIT a physician from asking the question.

I have seen nothing REQUIRING them to ask the question.

I have seen nothing REQUIRING a patient to answer (truthfully or otherwise).

AFAIC, much ado about nothing. Once they make it a Federal offense to withhold such information from my physician, then I'll be concerned. Not until. We have much bigger things to be worried about right now...

F350

I see three ways out:
1) keep quiet, don't answer, make them try to explain how that question is related to your health care (the reason you're there that day)

2) pull out the "yes, I'm qualified to teach firearm safety and household risk management, and yes, my insurance company covers the liability associated with that" form & hand it to them to fill in & sign

3) kill them with kindness
"Yes, of course I have firearms. I also teach firearm safety. Would you like to set up a class for your staff, or did you have a safety question you'd like me to answer?"

NEGATIVE ON ALL 3

Anything other than a simple straight forward "NO" will go into the data base as a big fat "YES".

I saw this coming 20 years ago and I haven't told the truth about anything not directly to the immediate reason I was there since. Doesn't matter if it looks harmless at the time. If you look at my medical records I have never used tobacco, do not drink, have never engaged in promiscuous sex, always wear my seat-belt, never speed.. (yes a couple doctors ago had all those questions on the first visit form) hell I'm damned near a monk, just ask my doctor :rolleyes:

JoeSparky

Centurion
NEGATIVE ON ALL 3

Anything other than a simple straight forward "NO" will go into the data base as a big fat "YES".

I saw this coming 20 years ago and I haven't told the truth about anything not directly to the immediate reason I was there since. Doesn't matter if it looks harmless at the time. If you look at my medical records I have never used tobacco, do not drink, have never engaged in promiscuous sex, always wear my seat-belt, never speed.. (yes a couple doctors ago had all those questions on the first visit form) hell I'm damned near a monk, just ask my doctor :rolleyes:

You forgot to include that you NEVER swear!:shocker: LOL