• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearm Laws

Sundiver

It sounds great but I'm not so sure that it would work. State law doesn't trump federal law...does it?

It comes down to who you speak with on any given day and how the Supreme Court is loaded in any given year. State's Rights has been a hot topic of debate since the formation of the United States. Take for example, legal drinking age. The Feds compelled the States to adopt a universal legal drinking age of 21 by threatening to withhold Federal highway funds unless they complied. Same thing with back when we had a speed limit of 55 MPH, so there are certain actions that the Feds recognize as States Rights, they have been able in the past to "persuade" most states to go along.

Edit: Here's a decent link to the Tenth Amendment which is essentially everything that restricts Federal powers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
It sounds great but I'm not so sure that it would work. State law doesn't trump federal law...does it?

Congress cannot pass a law that violates a state law or a state constitution (Article Six, Section Two). Of course we all know they do this all the time, and the Constitution doesn't stop them.

The Federal Government can only enact limited legislation, and any restriction on firearms is not permitted by the US Constitution. Sadly the US Supreme Court has trampled our Constitution into a meaningless piece of parchment.

In such a situation, state law would trump federal law. The states and the people are the supreme power in the United States, not the Federal Government which so many people believe.

The states can enact legislation that prohibits the enforcement of an illegal or unconstitutional federal law in that state, and they have every right to do so. The states can do much more than the Federal Government.

Read over Article One and Article Two of the US Constitution to see what powers the Federal Government and Congress truly have, and you will be amazed at how unconstitutional our current Federal Government is.

MrOverlay

Congress cannot pass a law that violates a state law or a state constitution (Article Six, Section Two). Of course we all know they do this all the time, and the Constitution doesn't stop them.

The Federal Government can only enact limited legislation, and any restriction on firearms is not permitted by the US Constitution. Sadly the US Supreme Court has trampled our Constitution into a meaningless piece of parchment.

In such a situation, state law would trump federal law. The states and the people are the supreme power in the United States, not the Federal Government which so many people believe.

The states can enact legislation that prohibits the enforcement of an illegal or unconstitutional federal law in that state, and they have every right to do so. The states can do much more than the Federal Government.

Read over Article One and Article Two of the US Constitution to see what powers the Federal Government and Congress truly have, and you will be amazed at how unconstitutional our current Federal Government is.

While your analysis may well be correct, in reality these state laws are little more than feel good measures. The federal government, once it chooses a course of action, will complete that using whatever force is necessary. Presidents have sent federal troops into states to integrate schools and the local authorities wilted away in the face of the 101Airborne.

The federal government has already demonstrated to everyone that they have no hesitation in killing unarmed citizens. I refer you to Ruby Ridge and Waco as examples.

Don't count on state and local authorities to form a skirmish line and face the federal forces on the other side of the road when push comes to shove.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
While your analysis may well be correct, in reality these state laws are little more than feel good measures. The federal government, once it chooses a course of action, will complete that using whatever force is necessary. Presidents have sent federal troops into states to integrate schools and the local authorities wilted away in the face of the 101Airborne.

The federal government has already demonstrated to everyone that they have no hesitation on killing unarmed citizens. I refer you to Ruby Ridge and Waco as examples.

Don't count on state and local authorities to form a skirmish line and face the federal forces on the other side of the road when push comes to shove.

You are absolutely right, and it is rather sad. The mere fact that the citizens of this country have allowed the Federal Government to attain the level of absurdity that it has is a real shame.

One can only hope that the people and governments of the states can finally come to their senses and realize what is best for OUR country and its people. I still have a small sliver of faith in the citizens of this once great nation, and I hope the few can overwhelm the many.

Last edited:

MrOverlay

You are absolutely right, and it is rather sad. The mere fact that the citizens of this country have allowed the Federal Government to attain the level of absurdity that it has is a real shame.

One can only hope that the people and governments of the states can finally come to their senses and realize what is best for OUR country and its people. I still have a small sliver of faith in the citizens of this once great nation, and I hope the few can overwhelm the many.

Well said my friend, well said. I do fear though that that sliver will be harder to maintain as years progress.