Thread: Question About Open Carry In Nevada/Oregon? Driving While On Person.

Question About Open Carry In Nevada/Oregon? Driving While On Person.

Hey All ,

I'm new to the forum, but I have a question I can't seem to find an answer on.

I have my Washington State CPL/CCW, but it does not cross over into Oregon or Nevada.

While driving into these states, "Nevada" most of all, can I open carry while driving?

I have a outside the waist band holster, and I'm curious to get a firm answer on this.

I know it must be concealed in NO way to open carry, but can I stop at border then drive into those state open carrying on person uncovered?

thanks

Activist Member
    NV allows loaded open carry of handguns without a permit, including while driving.

NV forbids having a long gun with a loaded chamber inside the vehicle, however.

Here is some info on NV gun law: http://armsinfo.com/nevada/#carry
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 01-18-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks you for the response.

So it's fine if its still on my person just not covered or concealed?

Is Oregon the same?

thanks

Question About Open Carry In Nevada/Oregon? Driving While On Person.

Yes you are fine to open carry in Nevada, in the car it can be anywhere. On your person it has to be exposed.

Activist Member
    Correct, in your car it can be hidden in gloveboxes, behind the seat, or hidden anywhere else or kept in the open. But you can't hide the gun on your person without a permit, such as in your pants pocket, even in the car.

On your person you can carry so long as it is discernible to ordinary observation. Before I got my permit to conceal, I carried openly in a belt holster in Nevada, and I just kept it holstered while driving.

I am no expert on Oregon. In general, you can open carry in Oregon, but there is no preemption there. There are cities in Oregon that ban open carry, if I am not mistaken. I have open carried through some eastern counties in Oregon.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 01-20-2013 at 02:15 PM.

In a camera case on my belt is OC?

I would like to carry a snubbie in a camera case the completed encloses it on my belt, with nothing hiding the case. Is this OC? Thanks.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike king5 View Post
    I would like to carry a snubbie in a camera case the completed encloses it on my belt, with nothing hiding the case. Is this OC? Thanks.
    A gun enclosed in a case is concealed, not open carry of a handgun.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    A gun enclosed in a case is concealed, not open carry of a handgun.
    Correct. It would not be discernible as a firearm to ordinary observation, and thus would be a felony in Nevada without a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Felid`Maximus View Post
    Correct. It would not be discernible as a firearm to ordinary observation, and thus would be a felony in Nevada without a permit.
    Bingo.

Why a camera case? If you want to openly carry it, you would use a holster. Your use of a camera case is clear intent of concealing it.
    Last edited by MAC702; 03-27-2013 at 02:37 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip