Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Connecticut Carry - Reminder - Weston gun ban meeting

  1. #1
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910

    Connecticut Carry - Reminder - Weston gun ban meeting

    Reminder: Weston Gun Ban meeting tonight at 7:30 pm.

    We need to make a final push and help the residents of Weston in stopping this nonsense.

    http://ctcarry.com/Announcement/Deta...d-fe826dbc83e8
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Weston
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Reminder: Weston Gun Ban meeting tonight at 7:30 pm.

    We need to make a final push and help the residents of Weston in stopping this nonsense.

    http://ctcarry.com/Announcement/Deta...d-fe826dbc83e8
    I'm a Weston resident, and I'll be there along with other Weston residents that believe in the rule of law/US and CT Constitutions. The focus of our elected officials should be on improving school security, and not restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens. Fortunately, many others here feel the same way.

  3. #3
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    I'm attempting to attend tonight, but it will depend on when I actually finish the day's work. not taking the motorcycle this time if I do go lol

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    They may mention my FOIA request .. you know "a person is trying to find out our capabilities" aspect.

    Right now, the FIC has continued the hearing in this FOIA request to February. So this matter is not resolved.

    And DESPP has written a directive letter under CGS 1-210(d) that notes that handgun information should be disclosed so the issue before the FIC is one of the rifles that were shown in a video that the town allowed a newspaper organization to record and then promptly put on youtube.

    And DESPP acknowledged in their letter that they did purchase the rifles (duh?!).

    So if anyone wants the video, I can email it to them .. shoot me a PM and I'll send it to you. I have offered this before and no one was interested ... I would show the video at the town meeting and say "why can't I have the guns and magazines that YOU have ... what? Why are you trying to disarm me so that I can offer no resistance to any potential or future paramilitary attacks by your police force?"

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Weston
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    They may mention my FOIA request .. you know "a person is trying to find out our capabilities" aspect.

    Right now, the FIC has continued the hearing in this FOIA request to February. So this matter is not resolved.

    And DESPP has written a directive letter under CGS 1-210(d) that notes that handgun information should be disclosed so the issue before the FIC is one of the rifles that were shown in a video that the town allowed a newspaper organization to record and then promptly put on youtube.

    And DESPP acknowledged in their letter that they did purchase the rifles (duh?!).

    So if anyone wants the video, I can email it to them .. shoot me a PM and I'll send it to you. I have offered this before and no one was interested ... I would show the video at the town meeting and say "why can't I have the guns and magazines that YOU have ... what? Why are you trying to disarm me so that I can offer no resistance to any potential or future paramilitary attacks by your police force?"
    At least at the CT Town level, I believe the most effective approach is to focus on facts--SCOTUS ruling on fundamental rights and types of arms covered by the 2nd Amendment, the requirement that any government actions impacting a fundamental right has to be tightly (and demonstrably/evidence-based) linked to a vital government interest and be narrowly tailored to the problem at hand in the least restrictive manner, and finally (and probably most effective and "real" to town leaders) that the cost of inevitable litigation (and the high likelihood the litigants would succeed on Constitutional bases) cannot be justified. On the State level focusing on the SCOTUS rulings are the best defense, but I'm convinced that Hartford is going to pass these absurd and ineffective laws and it will take years of court cases for all or most of these restrictions to be struck down on constitutional grounds. On the National level, I don't see any gun control regulations (other than mandatory background checks and improved reporting of mental disabilities to NICS) getting through Congress. All just my opinions, of course.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by motoxmann View Post
    not taking the motorcycle this time if I do go lol
    Are they calling for hail again? ;-)
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by SWY View Post
    At least at the CT Town level, I believe the most effective approach is to focus on facts--SCOTUS ruling on fundamental rights and types of arms covered by the 2nd Amendment, the requirement that any government actions impacting a fundamental right has to be tightly (and demonstrably/evidence-based) linked to a vital government interest and be narrowly tailored to the problem at hand in the least restrictive manner, and finally (and probably most effective and "real" to town leaders) that the cost of inevitable litigation (and the high likelihood the litigants would succeed on Constitutional bases) cannot be justified. On the State level focusing on the SCOTUS rulings are the best defense, but I'm convinced that Hartford is going to pass these absurd and ineffective laws and it will take years of court cases for all or most of these restrictions to be struck down on constitutional grounds. On the National level, I don't see any gun control regulations (other than mandatory background checks and improved reporting of mental disabilities to NICS) getting through Congress. All just my opinions, of course.
    For some it is the best approach ... for others, different approaches work. Clearly the selectman feel that the ordinances ARE OK per the 2nd amendment though ... otherwise they would not propose them. For the selectman, I think that talking to the 2nd amendment violations would likely fall on deaf ears.

    Talking about the reality of the passage of such ordinances .. like it may entice an attack on a school .. turn law abiding citizens into criminals, etc. may hit their consciousness more... factual and opinion based on logic.

    Also, there have been no SCOTUS rulings specifically saying that ARs are OK or that standard mags are OK, etc. Even though one could easily come to these conclusions based on current SCOTUS rulings. I think that the "dangerous weapons" noted in Heller I are actually focusing on chemical and biological weapons, not AR15s. Take away or limit firearms and crazy people will turn to chemical and biological weapons more than they do now. Or simple bombs, the poor man's disposable device.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 01-17-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •