Thread: Can a Presidential Executive Order...

Can a Presidential Executive Order...

...amend the U.S. constitution? Or a state constitution?

I suspect that it can't, because otherwise there would be no amendment process built into the constitution, the founders would just have directed Congress to petition that the President to do it.

I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    ...amend the U.S. constitution? Or a state constitution?

I suspect that it can't, because otherwise there would be no amendment process built into the constitution, the founders would just have directed Congress to petition that the President to do it.
    No.

Basically an EO can adjust the rules/policy under a current law passed by congress. In general it applies to federal employees and/or federal property only.
    Live Free or Die!

"United States Presidents issue executive orders to help officers and agencies of the executive branch manage the operations within the federal government itself"

"Although there is no constitutional provision or statute that explicitly permits executive orders, there is a vague grant of "executive power" given in Article II, Section 1, Clause 1 of the Constitution, and furthered by the declaration "take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed" made in Article II, Section 3, Clause 5. Most executive orders use these Constitutional reasonings as the authorization allowing for their issuance to be justified as part of the President's sworn duties,[2] the intent being to help direct officers of the U.S. Executive carry out their delegated duties as well as the normal operations of the federal government"

Wikipedia.org
    Last edited by Nightwing; 01-17-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Obama plans on using Royal Decrees...
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump