Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No special treatment for cops -- 7 bullet limit applies to all!

No special treatment for cops -- 7 bullet limit applies to all!

It's called:

Equal Protection of the Law!

Additions Privileges to be made to gun laws for law enforcement
    It appears someone forgot to exempt police officers from the ban of ammunition clips with more than 7 bullets in New York State's new gun control law.

It's a big oversight that apparently happened in the haste by the Cuomo Administration to get a tough package of gun-control measures signed into law.

On Tuesday, Governor Andrew Cuomo signed the sweeping gun measure, the nation's toughest. It includes a ban on the possession of high-capacity magazines.

Specifically, magazines with more than 7 rounds will be illegal under the new law.

The problem as the statute is currently written does NOT exempt law enforcement officers.

The NYPD, the State Police and virtually every law enforcement agency in the state carry 9-milli-meter guns, which have a 15-round capacity.

Unless an exemption is added by the time the law takes effect in March, police would technically be in violation of the new gun measure.

Within the last hour, the Patrolman's Benevolent Association President released a statement saying, "The PBA is actively working to enact changes to this law that will provide the appropriate exemptions from the law for active and retired law enforcement officers."

State Senator Eric Adams, a former NYPD Captain, told us he's going to push for an amendment next week to exempt police officers from the high-capacity magazine ban. In his words, "You can't give more ammo to the criminals"

A spokesman for the Governor's office called us to say, "We are still working out some details of the law and the exemption will be included."
    "You can't give more ammo to the criminals" -- or the good guys who aren't cops.

This is hilarious. Unless New York gun owners are a bunch of sissies, they all should unite and use the leverage to fight the cops who want it all to themselves.

Yes, you have Leverage!

why does it say "...the law takes effect in march..."? I thought the law was effective immediately?
    Last edited by motoxmann; 01-17-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Re: No special treatment for cops -- 7 bullet limit applies to all!

There is a grace period for people turning in their 'hi capacity' magazines. I believe that this period would end in March, but don't quote me because I haven't read the law in it's entirety yet. (I don't think anyone who voted on it has either)

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
    "A Right Un-exercised is a Right Lost"

"According to the law, [openly carrying] in a vehicle is against the law if the weapon is concealed" -Flamethrower (think about it....)

Carrying an XDm 9mm with Hornady Critical Defense hollowpoint. Soon to be carrying a Ruger along with it....

Banned
    State Senator Eric Adams, a former NYPD Captain, told us he's going to push for an amendment next week to exempt police officers from the high-capacity magazine ban. In his words, "You can't give more ammo to the criminals" http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...new-ban-Oooops

OH, the police should have as much ammo as criminals but not us.

This idiot former cop provides a good reason why the law hurts citizens.

He already has given more ammo to criminals ... dumbass.

I expect the number of mags turned in will be zero or close to it ... who would turn in their mags? You need to defend yourself ... like Sen. Adams said.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 01-18-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I expect the number of mags turned in will be zero or close to it ... who would turn in their mags? You need to defend yourself ... like Sen. Adams said.
    x2. I would re-state while replacing a single word with "suggest", but I don't want to condone "illegal activity" according to forum rules.

P.S. I can't help but notice how dead the NY section is ever since these new laws passed

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    SNIP Yes, you have Leverage!
    Ironic comment from a guy with your avatar.

I prefer gas pistons, myself. As in, "Give me a gas piston large enough and I can pry the despot right outa his palace."
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-18-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by motoxmann View Post

P.S. I can't help but notice how dead the NY section is ever since these new laws passed
    they be all sad ... and getting ready

When is anyone going to push to have "retired" law enforcement officers subjected to the SAME restrictions/conditions that as ALL current NON-LEO's? Is the rationale that they are "used" to being able to carry with impunity and should be allowed to continue?
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    When is anyone going to push to have "retired" law enforcement officers subjected to the SAME restrictions/conditions that as ALL current NON-LEO's? Is the rationale that they are "used" to being able to carry with impunity and should be allowed to continue?
    apparently. though that does not give them the right to squat. same as for active leo's carrying while off-duty; shouldnt have the right to anything different than any other citizen

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    So, what's Kahr Arms (Yonkers, N.Y.) going to do with its 8-round, 9mm magazine production line? Hmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    So, what's Kahr Arms (Yonkers, N.Y.) going to do with its 8-round, 9mm magazine production line? Hmmm?
    Kimber is in Yonkers. Kahr is in Rockland County. Remington is in New York as well, is it not? What is with all these manufacturers in NY? Historical reasons?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by motoxmann View Post
    shouldnt have the right to anything different than any other citizen
    Which is to carry any mag capacity they like ! cannot have 1 law for citizens and 1 law for government ... want to ban semi-autos? Ban it for all ... police, military, everyone. If not, no bans at all.

Which is to carry any mag capacity they like ! cannot have 1 law for citizens and 1 law for government ... want to ban semi-autos? Ban it for all ... police, military, everyone. If not, no bans at all.
    x2!
    it is afterall the entire purpose of the 2A, to defend against gov

Quote Originally Posted by optiksguy View Post
    Kimber is in Yonkers. Kahr is in Rockland County. Remington is in New York as well, is it not? What is with all these manufacturers in NY? Historical reasons?
    there are a lot of gun manufacturers in CT as well. Sturm Ruger being the biggest I believe

Using your 'logic' David, that would mean anyone should be able to go down to' XYZ Gun Shop' and pick up a H&K full auto grenade machine gun .....right? ( yes, they do exist )

...Oh wait, maybe a Tec9, for those days I may feel like I may want to conceal.

We have enough on our plates right now Dave, please don't piss in our milk.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctclassic View Post
    Using your 'logic' David, that would mean anyone should be able to go down to' XYZ Gun Shop' and pick up a H&K full auto grenade machine gun .....right? ( yes, they do exist )

Sorry, Ctclassic, that is exactly his point. It is the U.S. Constitution's 2nd Amendment, of which both the Nutmeg State (your moniker) and the Empire State are signatories, that supposedly guarantees that the right of THE PEOPLE to keep and bear ARMS shall not be infringed. I suggest you read the Preamble to the Bill of Rights. Arms is arms is arms, be it an evil-looking rifle, a machine gun or a grenade launcher. If I have enough money, I can indeed go out an purchase a tank (it's been done), a jet fighter (it's been done), or something a bit more portable.
    Last edited by Statkowski; 01-22-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Banned

One can buy a fully auto machine gun ... I should know, I was a gun dealer for 20+years .. so just trust me

The more you know; the less you blow
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 01-22-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Sorry, Ctclassic, that is exactly his point. It is the U.S. Constitution's 2nd Amendment, of which both the Nutmeg State (your moniker) and the Empire State are signatories, that supposedly guarantees that the right of THE PEOPLE to keep and bear ARMS shall not be infringed. I suggest you read the Preamble to the Bill of Rights. Arms is arms is arms, be it an evil-looking rifle, a machine gun or a grenade launcher. If I have enough money, I can indeed go out an purchase a tank (it's been done), a jet fighter (it's been done), or something a bit more portable.
    He thinks that fully autos are not available to the public ... he has been brainwashed -- don't worry, we can "d-program" him.

And you can own fully auto machine guns in CT .... they are not outlawed (just not selective fire) ... not that fully autos have much use but to make your opponent keep his head down and to disallow large expansive areas to access.

The typical soldier in the Army carries 210 rounds ... in fully auto, they would piss through their ammo pretty quick and then be sitting ducks...
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 01-22-2013 at 08:45 PM.

No special treatment for cops -- 7 bullet limit applies to all!

The question should be "does anyone really need a full auto grenade launcher?"

And I love me some full auto and disciplined trigger control, but some things are probably destructive without being useful. Not that it should be up to the government to limit such things, when it comes to conventional arms.

New Yorkers don't need to get rid of their firearms or magazines that are 10 round capacity. You have a year to sell, disable or surrender to authorities. You will not be able to purchase any firearms/magazines with more than 7 rounds.

MAGAZINE CAPACITY http://www.newsday.com/news/region-s...says-1.4477221

Magazines are restricted to seven bullets, down from 10. If you owned a 10-round clip before the law, you can keep it, but legally load only seven rounds.

If you own a pre-1994 clip that holds more than 10 rounds, you have a year to sell them to a licensed dealer or to someone out of state, or disable them. Or surrender them to authorities.

As I understand it, the law doesn't take effect until April 15, 2013.
    Last edited by FallonJeeper; 01-22-2013 at 10:05 PM.
    Hoka hey

Sounds like as good a reason as any to take NY to court ASAP. Although, I am sure there is some FRCP that will say that nobody can sue until they have been "harmed" and thusly will have to wait until the police thugs try to disarm them.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    The question should be "does anyone really need a full auto grenade launcher?"

And I love me some full auto and disciplined trigger control, but some things are probably destructive without being useful. Not that it should be up to the government to limit such things, when it comes to conventional arms.
    Not "does" .. but when ... read the 2nd again .. it does not say "small arms", does it?

And who doesn't need a full auto grenade launcher

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    Sounds like as good a reason as any to take NY to court ASAP. Although, I am sure there is some FRCP that will say that nobody can sue until they have been "harmed" and thusly will have to wait until the police thugs try to disarm them.
    You can sue in fed ct if a federal law is involved w/o waiting for an arrest ...

One can buy a fully auto machine gun ... I should know, I was a gun dealer for 20+years .. so just trust me

The more you know; the less you blow
    So David, I asked you a couple months ago on another post why it was you don't have your FFL anymore, but I never saw a reply. Could you please let us all know? And, for the record, NO I don't ( and wont ) trust a thing you say, ever. I also know I'm not alone sharing the same sediments. just saying.

David, you need to get ahold of yourself and realize there IS a difference between, what we SHOULD be able to have and what we ARE able to have. You and I will NEVER see the day when the common folk will be stuffing our safes with full auto grenade launchers and you know it!

The question should be "does anyone really need a Police Department?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast