• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No special treatment for cops -- 7 bullet limit applies to all!

Repeater

It's called:

Equal Protection of the Law!

[strike]Additions[/strike] Privileges to be made to gun laws for law enforcement
It appears someone forgot to exempt police officers from the ban of ammunition clips with more than 7 bullets in New York State's new gun control law.

It's a big oversight that apparently happened in the haste by the Cuomo Administration to get a tough package of gun-control measures signed into law.

On Tuesday, Governor Andrew Cuomo signed the sweeping gun measure, the nation's toughest. It includes a ban on the possession of high-capacity magazines.

Specifically, magazines with more than 7 rounds will be illegal under the new law.

The problem as the statute is currently written does NOT exempt law enforcement officers.

The NYPD, the State Police and virtually every law enforcement agency in the state carry 9-milli-meter guns, which have a 15-round capacity.

Unless an exemption is added by the time the law takes effect in March, police would technically be in violation of the new gun measure.

Within the last hour, the Patrolman's Benevolent Association President released a statement saying, "The PBA is actively working to enact changes to this law that will provide the appropriate exemptions from the law for active and retired law enforcement officers."

State Senator Eric Adams, a former NYPD Captain, told us he's going to push for an amendment next week to exempt police officers from the high-capacity magazine ban. In his words, "You can't give more ammo to the criminals"

A spokesman for the Governor's office called us to say, "We are still working out some details of the law and the exemption will be included."

"You can't give more ammo to the criminals" -- or the good guys who aren't cops.

This is hilarious. Unless New York gun owners are a bunch of sissies, they all should unite and use the leverage to fight the cops who want it all to themselves.

Yes, you have Leverage!

motoxmann

why does it say "...the law takes effect in march..."? I thought the law was effective immediately?

Last edited:

Baked on Grease

There is a grace period for people turning in their 'hi capacity' magazines. I believe that this period would end in March, but don't quote me because I haven't read the law in it's entirety yet. (I don't think anyone who voted on it has either)

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

davidmcbeth

Banned
State Senator Eric Adams, a former NYPD Captain, told us he's going to push for an amendment next week to exempt police officers from the high-capacity magazine ban. In his words, "You can't give more ammo to the criminals" http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...Y-cops-are-not-exempt-from-the-new-ban-Oooops

OH, the police should have as much ammo as criminals but not us.

This idiot former cop provides a good reason why the law hurts citizens.

He already has given more ammo to criminals ... dumbass.

I expect the number of mags turned in will be zero or close to it ... who would turn in their mags? You need to defend yourself ... like Sen. Adams said.

Last edited:

motoxmann

I expect the number of mags turned in will be zero or close to it ... who would turn in their mags? You need to defend yourself ... like Sen. Adams said.

x2. I would re-state while replacing a single word with "suggest", but I don't want to condone "illegal activity" according to forum rules.

P.S. I can't help but notice how dead the NY section is ever since these new laws passed

carolina guy

When is anyone going to push to have "retired" law enforcement officers subjected to the SAME restrictions/conditions that as ALL current NON-LEO's? Is the rationale that they are "used" to being able to carry with impunity and should be allowed to continue?

motoxmann

When is anyone going to push to have "retired" law enforcement officers subjected to the SAME restrictions/conditions that as ALL current NON-LEO's? Is the rationale that they are "used" to being able to carry with impunity and should be allowed to continue?

apparently. though that does not give them the right to squat. same as for active leo's carrying while off-duty; shouldnt have the right to anything different than any other citizen

davidmcbeth

Banned
shouldnt have the right to anything different than any other citizen

Which is to carry any mag capacity they like ! cannot have 1 law for citizens and 1 law for government ... want to ban semi-autos? Ban it for all ... police, military, everyone. If not, no bans at all.

motoxmann

Which is to carry any mag capacity they like ! cannot have 1 law for citizens and 1 law for government ... want to ban semi-autos? Ban it for all ... police, military, everyone. If not, no bans at all.

x2!
it is afterall the entire purpose of the 2A, to defend against gov

motoxmann

Kimber is in Yonkers. Kahr is in Rockland County. Remington is in New York as well, is it not? What is with all these manufacturers in NY? Historical reasons?

there are a lot of gun manufacturers in CT as well. Sturm Ruger being the biggest I believe

Ctclassic

Using your 'logic' David, that would mean anyone should be able to go down to' XYZ Gun Shop' and pick up a H&K full auto grenade machine gun .....right? ( yes, they do exist )

...Oh wait, maybe a Tec9, for those days I may feel like I may want to conceal.

We have enough on our plates right now Dave, please don't piss in our milk.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
Using your 'logic' David, that would mean anyone should be able to go down to' XYZ Gun Shop' and pick up a H&K full auto grenade machine gun .....right? ( yes, they do exist )

Sorry, Ctclassic, that is exactly his point. It is the U.S. Constitution's 2nd Amendment, of which both the Nutmeg State (your moniker) and the Empire State are signatories, that supposedly guarantees that the right of THE PEOPLE to keep and bear ARMS shall not be infringed. I suggest you read the Preamble to the Bill of Rights. Arms is arms is arms, be it an evil-looking rifle, a machine gun or a grenade launcher. If I have enough money, I can indeed go out an purchase a tank (it's been done), a jet fighter (it's been done), or something a bit more portable.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

One can buy a fully auto machine gun ... I should know, I was a gun dealer for 20+years .. so just trust me

The more you know; the less you blow

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sorry, Ctclassic, that is exactly his point. It is the U.S. Constitution's 2nd Amendment, of which both the Nutmeg State (your moniker) and the Empire State are signatories, that supposedly guarantees that the right of THE PEOPLE to keep and bear ARMS shall not be infringed. I suggest you read the Preamble to the Bill of Rights. Arms is arms is arms, be it an evil-looking rifle, a machine gun or a grenade launcher. If I have enough money, I can indeed go out an purchase a tank (it's been done), a jet fighter (it's been done), or something a bit more portable.

He thinks that fully autos are not available to the public ... he has been brainwashed -- don't worry, we can "d-program" him.

And you can own fully auto machine guns in CT .... they are not outlawed (just not selective fire) ... not that fully autos have much use but to make your opponent keep his head down and to disallow large expansive areas to access.

The typical soldier in the Army carries 210 rounds ... in fully auto, they would piss through their ammo pretty quick and then be sitting ducks...

Last edited:

nonameisgood

The question should be "does anyone really need a full auto grenade launcher?"

And I love me some full auto and disciplined trigger control, but some things are probably destructive without being useful. Not that it should be up to the government to limit such things, when it comes to conventional arms.

FallonJeeper

New Yorkers don't need to get rid of their firearms or magazines that are 10 round capacity. You have a year to sell, disable or surrender to authorities. You will not be able to purchase any firearms/magazines with more than 7 rounds.

MAGAZINE CAPACITY http://www.newsday.com/news/region-state/what-new-york-state-s-new-gun-law-says-1.4477221

Magazines are restricted to seven bullets, down from 10. If you owned a 10-round clip before the law, you can keep it, but legally load only seven rounds.

If you own a pre-1994 clip that holds more than 10 rounds, you have a year to sell them to a licensed dealer or to someone out of state, or disable them. Or surrender them to authorities.

As I understand it, the law doesn't take effect until April 15, 2013.

Last edited: