• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Told you so: agreeing to any criminalization of OC is BAD!

PDinDetroit

You say No Compromise now, yet there are those here that praise how Shall Issue has made things so much better. So you acknowledge the benefit of one compromise while striking down the idea of any others? Or is it because the Shall Issue compromise threw the CC people under the bus instead?

I believe that what I wrote was not understood - I did not state "No Compromise" as is clearly evident from my post below.

PDinDetroit said:
I believe that we should do our best not to compromise and should fight hard for what we want - Rights Recognized.

There were those who, before Shall Issue became law with PFZ's added, did obtain a CCW and could carry concealed in what we know as PFZ's today. Those people did lose Recognition of Rights with the PFZ Compromise. That compromise is now what some are fighting to remove and have been unsuccessful to date more than a decade later and plenty of evidence/facts to back up PFZ Removal. I believe it would have been better to fight for No PFZ's then instead of trying to get PFZ's repealed later.

Here is some experience I have gained by fighting hard for what we want instead of compromise.

1. Arts, Beats, and Eats Firearm Carry on Festival Property: It seemed that the deck was stacked against us in many ways - Public Opinion, Fellow Firearm Owners Afraid We Would Lose Further Rights and Openly Criticizing Us For Open Carry as "In Your Face" Tactics, and Some in the Open Carry Community Itself Suggesting that We Compromise for 2010 and Fight Harder in the Next Year. I was concerned myself as I had never undertaken such a challenge with a group like this, I had Medical Issues ongoing where I was in debilitating pain daily which required Major Surgery at the End of August 2010, Royal Oak was my Home City and I was concerned with Repercussions from both the General Public and City Officials, and my Work Role is a Highly Visible Position where Publicity on this issue at hand could have adversely affected my career. Despite these concerns, I believed it best to pursue the issue and fight hard to resolve the issue for the best possible outcome we could achieve.

We were approached to compromise by various persons involved including the Festival Promoter, Jon Witz. I had 5-6 phone conversations with Mr Witz and 3 in person discussions where multiple compromises were proposed that at times seemed reasonable but would have traded away Recognition of Our Rights in some shape or form. I sincerely listened to the proposals offered, discussed openly why they would not work or not be accepted, and stood firm to not compromise if at all possible since I believed in what we were doing. I and others personally put ourselves in the Public Spotlight with Speaking During Public Comments Sessions of the Royal Oak City Commission Meetings (which are televised), a WXYZ TV News Interview which aired as the Lead Story on the 6 PM and 11 PM News Reports, and a 2 Page Spread in the Detroit Free Press Sunday Edition. I wrote Multiple Letters to the City Officials, to Oakland County Officials, and even to the Michigan Legislators pressing our points home.

What was the result of Fighting Hard and Not Compromising Here?

A. The City of Royal Oak and Jon Witz agreed to amend the Festival Contract to Remove the No Firearm Clause Exactly as We Requested (The Second Amendment to the Festival Contract - pretty ironic). Even the Governor of Michigan (Jennifer Granholm) would not step in to Ban Firearms at the festival even though City Officials tried this angle.

B. Millions of Michigan Residents and Residents of Other States found out that Open Carry is Legal in Michigan and helped put Open Carriers in a better light with Fellow Firearm Owners (though not as much as I would like).

C. Multiple News Outlets, including TV, Radio, and Print, Reported that there were No Issues with Firearm Carry at the Festival (approximately 423,000 persons attended - a record for the festival).

D. Mr Jon Witz stated to me that he was pleasantly surprised that there were No Issues and that the controversy actually helped promote the Festival. His extra effort to Ban Firearms from Festivals like these went exactly nowhere.

E. The Cities of Royal Oak, Berkley, and Huntington Woods voted on Resolutions to implore the State Legislature to Ban Firearms from Public Buildings and/or Give Cities Home Rule Abilities/Powers to Regulate Firearms. These went exactly nowhere.

F. This helped give MOC "Street Cred" and helped discussions with other cities go smoother as they knew we would fight hard for what we believed to be right.

G. MSP Legal Update #86 was published 2 months later with the assistance of members of the Open Carry Community, which I truly believe was done as a result of this very public effort.

H. Open Carriers being harassed by Law Enforcement is now few and far between when before that time it seemed to be a weekly occurrence.

2. CADL V MOC Legal Action. It seemed that the deck was stacked against us in many ways yet again - Public Opinion, An Anti-Gun Circuit Court Judge, Existing Laws Not Mentioning District Libraries under MI Firearm Preemption, Fellow Firearm Owners Afraid We Would Lose Further Rights and Openly Criticizing Us For Open Carry as "In Your Face" Tactics, and Some in the Open Carry Community Itself Suggesting that the "Shotgun Guy" face the Music all by himself. Even though I did not like how the Legal Action started, I was first to donate to the MOC Legal Defense Fund for $500. I attended the Circuit Court Proceedings where we lost, attended the MI Court Of Appeals Proceedings where we won, and truly believe that the MI Supreme Court will not hear the case at all.

A. Michigan Open Carry (MOC) and Michigan Gun Owners (MGO) worked together on the case, where MGO actually filed suit against CADL but that case was dismissed. These 2 Michigan Firearm Rights Organizations now have a better working relationship.

B. The MI Court Of Appeals (COA) ruled that the State of Michigan Preempts the Entire Field of Firearm Regulation against far more than what is listed under MCL 123.1101. I believe that this ruling will form the basis for additional legal challenges yet to come where Rights will be further Recognized and Supported, with Firearm Carry being allowed in places it is currently not allowed.

C. Open Carriers are seen by Fellow Firearm Owners as leading the Fight for Firearm Rights and more Support has been garnered by same.

I post these things here with the express intent of showing that Fighting Hard can work and Compromise should be a Last Resort if at all used. If we fight hard together for what we believe to be right, I truly believe that we can achieve far more than we realize to be possible.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
There's the old saying that a tyrant should never be allowed to die a natural death.

So, my idea of a compromise would be to concede to using a hemp rope instead of a polypropylene rope. :D

Which is just another way of saying, "No compromises on rights."

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I believe that what I wrote was not understood - I did not state "No Compromise" as is clearly evident from my post below.

There were those who, before Shall Issue became law with PFZ's added, did obtain a CCW and could carry concealed in what we know as PFZ's today. Those people did lose Recognition of Rights with the PFZ Compromise. That compromise is now what some are fighting to remove and have been unsuccessful to date more than a decade later and plenty of evidence/facts to back up PFZ Removal. I believe it would have been better to fight for No PFZ's then instead of trying to get PFZ's repealed later.

Here is some experience I have gained by fighting hard for what we want instead of compromise.

1. Arts, Beats, and Eats Firearm Carry on Festival Property: It seemed that the deck was stacked against us in many ways - Public Opinion, Fellow Firearm Owners Afraid We Would Lose Further Rights and Openly Criticizing Us For Open Carry as "In Your Face" Tactics, and Some in the Open Carry Community Itself Suggesting that We Compromise for 2010 and Fight Harder in the Next Year. I was concerned myself as I had never undertaken such a challenge with a group like this, I had Medical Issues ongoing where I was in debilitating pain daily which required Major Surgery at the End of August 2010, Royal Oak was my Home City and I was concerned with Repercussions from both the General Public and City Officials, and my Work Role is a Highly Visible Position where Publicity on this issue at hand could have adversely affected my career. Despite these concerns, I believed it best to pursue the issue and fight hard to resolve the issue for the best possible outcome we could achieve.

We were approached to compromise by various persons involved including the Festival Promoter, Jon Witz. I had 5-6 phone conversations with Mr Witz and 3 in person discussions where multiple compromises were proposed that at times seemed reasonable but would have traded away Recognition of Our Rights in some shape or form. I sincerely listened to the proposals offered, discussed openly why they would not work or not be accepted, and stood firm to not compromise if at all possible since I believed in what we were doing. I and others personally put ourselves in the Public Spotlight with Speaking During Public Comments Sessions of the Royal Oak City Commission Meetings (which are televised), a WXYZ TV News Interview which aired as the Lead Story on the 6 PM and 11 PM News Reports, and a 2 Page Spread in the Detroit Free Press Sunday Edition. I wrote Multiple Letters to the City Officials, to Oakland County Officials, and even to the Michigan Legislators pressing our points home.

A. The City of Royal Oak and Jon Witz agreed to amend the Festival Contract to Remove the No Firearm Clause Exactly as We Requested (The Second Amendment to the Festival Contract - pretty ironic). Even the Governor of Michigan (Jennifer Granholm) would not step in to Ban Firearms at the festival even though City Officials tried this angle.

B. Millions of Michigan Residents and Residents of Other States found out that Open Carry is Legal in Michigan and helped put Open Carriers in a better light with Fellow Firearm Owners (though not as much as I would like).

C. Multiple News Outlets, including TV, Radio, and Print, Reported that there were No Issues with Firearm Carry at the Festival (approximately 423,000 persons attended - a record for the festival).

D. Mr Jon Witz stated to me that he was pleasantly surprised that there were No Issues and that the controversy actually helped promote the Festival. His extra effort to Ban Firearms from Festivals like these went exactly nowhere.

E. The Cities of Royal Oak, Berkley, and Huntington Woods voted on Resolutions to implore the State Legislature to Ban Firearms from Public Buildings and/or Give Cities Home Rule Abilities/Powers to Regulate Firearms. These went exactly nowhere.

F. This helped give MOC "Street Cred" and helped discussions with other cities go smoother as they knew we would fight hard for what we believed to be right.

G. MSP Legal Update #86 was published 2 months later with the assistance of members of the Open Carry Community, which I truly believe was done as a result of this very public effort.

H. Open Carriers being harassed by Law Enforcement is now few and far between when before that time it seemed to be a weekly occurrence.

2. CADL V MOC Legal Action. It seemed that the deck was stacked against us in many ways yet again - Public Opinion, An Anti-Gun Circuit Court Judge, Existing Laws Not Mentioning District Libraries under MI Firearm Preemption, Fellow Firearm Owners Afraid We Would Lose Further Rights and Openly Criticizing Us For Open Carry as "In Your Face" Tactics, and Some in the Open Carry Community Itself Suggesting that the "Shotgun Guy" face the Music all by himself. Even though I did not like how the Legal Action started, I was first to donate to the MOC Legal Defense Fund for $500. I attended the Circuit Court Proceedings where we lost, attended the MI Court Of Appeals Proceedings where we won, and truly believe that the MI Supreme Court will not hear the case at all.

A. Michigan Open Carry (MOC) and Michigan Gun Owners (MGO) worked together on the case, where MGO actually filed suit against CADL but that case was dismissed. These 2 Michigan Firearm Rights Organizations now have a better working relationship.

B. The MI Court Of Appeals (COA) ruled that the State of Michigan Preempts the Entire Field of Firearm Regulation against far more than what is listed under MCL 123.1101. I believe that this ruling will form the basis for additional legal challenges yet to come where Rights will be further Recognized and Supported, with Firearm Carry being allowed in places it is currently not allowed.

C. Open Carriers are seen by Fellow Firearm Owners as leading the Fight for Firearm Rights and more Support has been garnered by same.

I post these things here with the express intent of showing that Fighting Hard can work and Compromise should be a Last Resort if at all used. If we fight hard together for what we believe to be right, I truly believe that we can achieve far more than we realize to be possible.

All VERY true...

DanM

Ezerharden said:
DanM said:
Ezerharden said:
Remember, Michigan would still be a May Issue state without compromise.

Really? What gun rights available to the general citizenry at that time did we lose in order to get shall-issue passed?

PFZ's . . .

. . . prior to Shall issue, PFZ's didn't exist. The PFZ's were the poison pill to get Shall Issue passed. In other words, a compromise.

I asked, "what gun rights available to the general citizenry at that time did we lose to get shall-issue passed?"

Before shall-issue, CC'ing--and CC'ing in PFZ's--were not gun rights available to the general law-abiding citizenry. Other than a few areas that were exceptions, those were political favors handed out like candy to cronies.

In other words, the entire state of Michigan was a CC PFZ for practically the entire general citizenry.

For the general citizenry of Michigan, shall-issue reduced the PFZ from the entire state to a few areas.

The only ones who could complain that what they had was compromised away were the cronies, and I don't give a sh*t about them.

Shall-issue legislation in Michigan was a pure ADVANCE in gun-rights for the general citizenry.

TheQ

I asked, "what gun rights available to the general citizenry at that time did we lose to get shall-issue passed?"

Before shall-issue, CC'ing--and CC'ing in PFZ's--were not gun rights available to the general law-abiding citizenry. Other than a few areas that were exceptions, those were political favors handed out like candy to cronies.

In other words, the entire state of Michigan was a CC PFZ for practically the entire general citizenry.

For the general citizenry of Michigan, shall-issue reduced the PFZ from the entire state to a few areas.

The only ones who could complain that what they had was compromised away were the cronies, and I don't give a sh*t about them.

Shall-issue legislation in Michigan was a pure ADVANCE in gun-rights for the general citizenry.

Some counties were in practice "unrestricted shall issue"

Ezerharden

I got my first CPL in 1996 in Monroe County, no issues. So yes, I LOST something to a compromise that is said to be a victory. Now it does allow pretty much anyone to get a CPL now, but at the expense of a compromise to the minority that had CPL's prior. You accused MOC of throwing the minority of gun owners (OC) "under the bus" for better CPL laws. Didn't passing Shall Issue, which benefited the majority throw the minority at the time (prior CPL holders) under the bus? I think this is what is referred to as situational ethics. If a compromise affects me badly, I am against it no matter how many people benefit over all.

Raggs

What exactly did you lose? How is more people being able to get a CPL somehow take away from you?

I got my first CPL in 1996 in Monroe County, no issues. So yes, I LOST something to a compromise that is said to be a victory. Now it does allow pretty much anyone to get a CPL now, but at the expense of a compromise to the minority that had CPL's prior. You accused MOC of throwing the minority of gun owners (OC) "under the bus" for better CPL laws. Didn't passing Shall Issue, which benefited the majority throw the minority at the time (prior CPL holders) under the bus? I think this is what is referred to as situational ethics. If a compromise affects me badly, I am against it no matter how many people benefit over all.

Ezerharden

I lost the ability to CC in the now PFZ's. have you not been reading what I wrote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ezerharden

Ok let me try this slower. You put in bold "I LOST something to a compromise that is said to be a victory." then ask what I lost. I have repeated many times, I, and others, lost the ability to CC in what are now PFZ's. PFZ's were added to get Shall Issue passed. It was a COMPROMISE. Before Shall Issue, follw me here, I did say BEFORE, there were no PFZ's for CC. You could CC pretty much anywhere except of course courthouses, federal buildings. Now along comes a bill to make Michigan a Shall Issue state, benefiting most of the states citizens at the expense of adding PFZ's. So the minority (the ones with CPL's already) were "thrown under the bus" as most here like to say for the benefit of the majority. It was a compromise. Now also understand that prior to Shall Issue, you could not OC or CC in many places like schools. With the advent of Shall Issue, you can OC in a school all because of a compromise made by CC'rs that gave you the ability to more easily get a CPL that you have to OC have to carry in a school.

So your ability to OC in a PFZ that you are so fond of came about because people lost the right they already had to CC there to make Michigan Shall Issue, making getting a CPL easier, and making OC in a PFZ allowable.

Get it now? Prior to 2001, I could CC in many areas I can not now because Shall Issue introduced PFZ's.

Last edited:

TheQ

i got my first cpl in 1996 in monroe county, no issues. So yes, i lost something to a compromise that is said to be a victory. Now it does allow pretty much anyone to get a cpl now, but at the expense of a compromise to the minority that had cpl's prior. You accused moc of throwing the minority of gun owners (oc) "under the bus" for better cpl laws. Didn't passing shall issue, which benefited the majority throw the minority at the time (prior cpl holders) under the bus? I think this is what is referred to as situational ethics. If a compromise affects me badly, i am against it no matter how many people benefit over all.

qft

TheQ

Ok let me try this slower. You put in bold "I LOST something to a compromise that is said to be a victory." then ask what I lost. I have repeated many times, I, and others, lost the ability to CC in what are now PFZ's. PFZ's were added to get Shall Issue passed. It was a COMPROMISE. Before Shall Issue, follw me here, I did say BEFORE, there were no PFZ's for CC. You could CC pretty much anywhere except of course courthouses, federal buildings. Now along comes a bill to make Michigan a Shall Issue state, benefiting most of the states citizens at the expense of adding PFZ's. So the minority (the ones with CPL's already) were "thrown under the bus" as most here like to say for the benefit of the majority. It was a compromise. Now also understand that prior to Shall Issue, you could not OC or CC in many places like schools. With the advent of Shall Issue, you can OC in a school all because of a compromise made by CC'rs that gave you the ability to more easily get a CPL that you have to OC have to carry in a school.

So your ability to OC in a PFZ that you are so fond of came about because people lost the right they already had to CC there to make Michigan Shall Issue, making getting a CPL easier, and making OC in a PFZ allowable.

Get it now? Prior to 2001, I could CC in many areas I can not now because Shall Issue introduced PFZ's.

Let me apologize for everyone here that either supported shall issue or did nothing to oppose it and how it cost you and others in "shall issue" counties their rights.

FUDDs!

What kind if gun owners are they -- so willing to compromise away YOUR rights for theirs...*sighs*.

Michigander and DanM: you should be ashamed!

Last edited:

DanM

I addressed that (bolded for emphasis):

DanM said:
Other than a few areas that were exceptions, those were political favors handed out like candy to cronies.

I reiterate that it is a fair characterization to say, before shall-issue, CC and CC in PFZ's were not among the gun rights available to the general population of Michigan. So, what shall-issue represented was a reduction of the PFZ from the whole state to a few areas for the whole of the law-abiding citizenry of Michigan.

I say again that shall-issue was a pure ADVANCE, with no compromise of generally available gun rights at the time, for the general citizenry.

Last edited:

TheQ

I addressed that (bolded for emphasis):

I reiterate that it is a fair characterization to say, before shall-issue, CC and CC in PFZ's were not among the gun rights available to the general population of Michigan. So, what shall-issue represented was a reduction of the PFZ from the whole state to a few areas for the whole of the law-abiding citizenry of Michigan.

I say again that shall-issue was a pure ADVANCE, with no compromise of generally available gun rights at the time, for the general citizenry.

Since the general citizenry doesn't OC you could then categorize SB 59 as an advance with no compromise.

Do you think shall issue was worth losing CC in PFZs and requiring people who already had unrestricted permits to take training in order to LOSE rights?