• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trying to sort out Michigans Handgun Purchasing rules for NON CPL holders

fierotaz

New to the site. Hope someone on here can answer a few questions on Purchasing & Transport to the gun range out of state for me.. No one in my area can get the firearm that i want BUT did find it in South Bend,Indiana. I know I have to get a LTP from/at my local dealer before I purchase the firearm in Indiana and then have it transfered to my local dealer in Michigan. Is there a time limit as to when the Purchase Record has to be sent back to the MSP? Ive read where you have 10 days to send it in. But if you have it transfered when does the 10 days start? Can it just be mailed in? I drive a semi cross country so im gone several days at a time so if my wife can send them in or take them in since one is going to be hers and the other mine that would be good.. & the other question my wife and I had is can we once registered & with out a CPL take our firearms back to indiana to the fireing range to shoot Legaly? or is that only allowed if you have a CPL? Thanks for the help in advance.. look forward to your answers. :confused:

griffin

New to the site. Hope someone on here can answer a few questions on Purchasing & Transport to the gun range out of state for me.. No one in my area can get the firearm that i want BUT did find it in South Bend,Indiana. I know I have to get a LTP from/at my local dealer before I purchase the firearm in Indiana and then have it transfered to my local dealer in Michigan. Is there a time limit as to when the Purchase Record has to be sent back to the MSP? Ive read where you have 10 days to send it in. But if you have it transfered when does the 10 days start? Can it just be mailed in? I drive a semi cross country so im gone several days at a time so if my wife can send them in or take them in since one is going to be hers and the other mine that would be good.. & the other question my wife and I had is can we once registered & with out a CPL take our firearms back to indiana to the fireing range to shoot Legaly? or is that only allowed if you have a CPL? Thanks for the help in advance.. look forward to your answers. :confused:

The ten days starts once you "acquire" the pistol. Also, you can mail the license in, and according to the written law, the police seem to accept a postmark within the ten days as valid, although in reality people have turned in some licenses (like RI-60s) even six months late without problem.