• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can you open carry on State House property

Makarov

Hello everyone.

At high noon tomorrow, Jan 19 2013, there will be a really in front of the State House in Columbus to celebrate 2nd Amendment Appreciation day. Many advertisements for this event say you cannot carry on the outside of State House property. Is this true…open carry out side on State House property Illegal? Please respond.

Thanks

Makarov

eye95

I will be open carrying on the sidewalk along the street. It is my understanding that carry on Statehouse grounds is illegal. I am new to Ohio and cannot cite the ORC, so I am awaiting a knowledgeable person citing the law.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I will be open carrying on the sidewalk along the street. It is my understanding that carry on Statehouse grounds is illegal. I am new to Ohio and cannot cite the ORC, so I am awaiting a knowledgeable person citing the law.
Carry on the grounds is NOT illegal, despite what the grounds people/staff/statehouse security might tell you.

Please post an "after-action" report.

JmE

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/128-4

128-4-02 Capitol buildings or grounds use: general rules and requirement of a permit.

(A) Capitol buildings or grounds are available for use by the public for the purpose of governmental business, public meetings for free discussion of public questions, or for activities of a broad public purpose, provided that, when necessary, the authorized permit procedure has been followed and appropriate approvals have been received. Capitol buildings or grounds are available for use by the public only if such use:

(10) Weapons – with the exception of those carried by peace officers in the course of their duties, firearms or other weapons, concealed or otherwise, are prohibited within the capitol buildings and grounds without the express written permission of the board.

(I) These rules may be waived by the executive director, chairman, or their designees for good cause shown. Any person wishing to obtain a waiver of board rules must contact the board, in writing, within a reasonable time in advance of the event.

Effective: 03/22/2012
Of course, we stayed on the sidewalk as there wasn't the minimum 15 days needed to apply for a permit with waiver from the board.

eye95

Of course, we stayed on the sidewalk as there wasn't the minimum 15 days needed to apply for a permit with waiver from the board.

Like we would have gotten it! HA!

I tried several times to enter the gun-free zone around the State House. There seemed to be some invisible force-field that repelled me each time. Amazing. Gun-free zones actually keep guns out!

Last edited:

JmE

Like we would have gotten it! HA!
You never know unless you try, right?

I tried several times to enter the gun-free zone around the State House. There seemed to be some invisible force-field that repelled me each time. Amazing. Gun-free zones actually keep guns out!
I saw that. Amazing technology the State has these days!