• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB207 - another facsicts bill - registry for recording gun deaths/injuries

davidmcbeth

Banned
General Assembly

Proposed Bill No. 207

January Session, 2013

LCO No. 717

Referred to Committee on PUBLIC SAFETY AND SECURITY

Introduced by:

SEN. LOONEY, 11th Dist.

AN ACT ESTABLISHING A REGISTRY OF FIREARM-RELATED INJURIES AND DEATHS.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:

That chapter 529 of the general statutes be amended to require the Division of State Police within the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection to maintain a registry documenting the circumstances under which persons are killed or injured by firearms.

Statement of Purpose:

To improve public safety by requiring the state police to store data pertaining to gun-related injuries and death.

davidmcbeth

Banned
w/o also requiring when guns were used to prevent injury or death, this registry is only meant for the purposes of stealing guns

LQM

Huh??

General Assembly

Proposed Bill No. 207

January Session, 2013

LCO No. 717

Referred to Committee on PUBLIC SAFETY AND SECURITY

Introduced by:

SEN. LOONEY, 11th Dist.

AN ACT ESTABLISHING A REGISTRY OF FIREARM-RELATED INJURIES AND DEATHS.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:

That chapter 529 of the general statutes be amended to require the Division of State Police within the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection to maintain a registry documenting the circumstances under which persons are killed or injured by firearms.

Statement of Purpose:

To improve public safety by requiring the state police to store data pertaining to gun-related injuries and death.

Really??!! Really!!??

So currently the State Police simply forgets what happened? They throw out all their reports at the end on the month? If this isn't already being tracked how does FBI Crime Data get collected? On what basis do we say the state is safer due to a reduction in crime rates? I know there is a disclaimer to FBI stats that it is data of 'reported' crimes, but is Mr. Looney saying that CT does not tracking or reporting any of this data?

I may be looking at this too simplistically but it seems to me a waste of money.

Johnny W

I think that in many cases the data isn't actually collected as "deaths/injuries caused by firearms", but simply as "deaths/injuries", or perhaps those involved in a crime (if the State Police are recording it). This might be why FBI statistics aren't as accurate as they could be--they poll various law-enforcement agencies, and do their best to get useable data.

It'd be nice if this law also included an attempt to track crimes/injuries/deaths prevented by firearms, even though that would be much harder to do, since I'm sure many more people fail to report a crime prevented than do an injury or death caused by guns.

davidmcbeth

Banned
It'd be nice if this law also included an attempt to track crimes/injuries/deaths prevented by firearms, even though that would be much harder to do, since I'm sure many more people fail to report a crime prevented than do an injury or death caused by guns.

I think that without knowing how may injuries have been prevented then the idea is just meant to collect useless information..