• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in TN with Virginia Permit

cjakesnyder1988

Hey guys. I moved away from TN ( UNFORTUNATELY) so my TN permit is no longer valid due to moving. I now have a Virginia conceal permit... am I able to open carry with this in TN? My TN permit said HANDGUN CARRY PERMIT.. and my Virginia permit says CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT. Thoughts???

Nascar24Glock

Hey guys. I moved away from TN ( UNFORTUNATELY) so my TN permit is no longer valid due to moving. I now have a Virginia conceal permit... am I able to open carry with this in TN? My TN permit said HANDGUN CARRY PERMIT.. and my Virginia permit says CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT. Thoughts???

Current Tennessee law makes no distinction between open and concealed carry. It is illegal to carry a handgun (regardless of whether it is carried openly or concealed) with the intent to go armed. Possessing a Tennessee handgun carry permit, or an equivalent permit from any state in the country, is a defense to this charge.

Bottom line, if you have your Virginia carry permit, carry it however you want, except in courtrooms, school property, and places that are properly posted as prohibiting firearms.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. None of the above information is, or should be construed as, legal advice. I accept no responsibility for any actions you may or may not take based on this information. For legal advice, consult an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction.

Last edited:

pfries

As Nascar24Glock said.
TN recognizes any permit from any state, just follow TN law as they say "When in Rome" carry on.

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.shtml

1. Tennessee now recognizes a facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit, or a license issued by another state according to its terms,
and will, therefore, authorize the holder of such out-of-state permit or license to carry a handgun only in the state of Tennessee.

2. The person must be in possession of the permit or license at all times such person carries a handgun in Tennessee.

3. Tennessee will enter into written reciprocity agreements with other states that require the execution of such agreements.

4. If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a
Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee.

a. All applicants, regardless of permits issued by another state will be processed as originals. The applicant must be twenty-one (21),
take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar
($115.00) fee, and be fingerprinted.

b. Licensing requirements are not included in the reciprocity agreements between states. The mutual recognition of handgun possession privileges between states has not changed and is listed on this website.

c. A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms
and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this State
provided, however, the provisions of this subsection (r) shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.