• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

18JAN13 Milwaukee paper's anti-gun opinion sweep

MKEgal

More push for "reasonable gun control" from the libera Milwaukee media.
I see 7 opinion pieces here, few of which seem to present facts &/or not be anti-gun.
The top piece is "the NRA's foolish resistance to gun control", by Eugene Kane.
Not surprising.

Last edited:

LOERetired

Gun Rights

I tend to agree with the NRA in their opinion of the violence in our society's love of Hollywood movies and video games. T.V. and now high tech video games play a big role in our kids behavior but, I don't see a white house campaign to stop that violence. Compared to the number of guns in the US I agree that these types of events are very rare when you consider the overall population and the number of total crimes.

I joined the NRA today because I am worried about loosing our 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] amendment rights and will continue to fight for those rights.

More push for "reaonable gun control" from the libera Milwaukee media.
I see 7 opinion pieces here, few of which seems to present facts & not be anti-gun.
The top piece is "the NRA's foolish resistance to gun control", by Eugene Kane.
Not surprising.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Reading the idiocy in the comments on kanes opinion truly shows me that we are in fact surrounded by idiots.

I am willing to bet that upwards of 90% of these people calling for bans on "Assault Weapons" have no clue what they are even trying to ban!!

Lets look at what the chitcago tribune published, and these people have fact checkers, T3 internet speeds, access to all sorts of facts, yet they publish this!!!

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2013/01/22/windy-city-assault-front-sling-mount/

Trip20

Reading the idiocy in the comments on kanes opinion truly shows me that we are in fact surrounded by idiots.

I am willing to bet that upwards of 90% of these people calling for bans on "Assault Weapons" have no clue what they are even trying to ban!!

Lets look at what the chitcago tribune published, and these people have fact checkers, T3 internet speeds, access to all sorts of facts, yet they publish this!!!

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2013/01/22/windy-city-assault-front-sling-mount/

On that note. They made an attempt to rectify their failure to report the truth.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I tend to agree with the NRA in their opinion of the violence in our society's love of Hollywood movies and video games.

I don't think video games or movies have any gun violence relationship (maybe smacking your xbox about but not shootings).

Everybody blames everything ... but its usually either a) the shooter's a loon or b) really pissed off about something.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I don't think video games or movies have any gun violence relationship (maybe smacking your xbox about but not shootings).

Everybody blames everything ... but its usually either a) the shooter's a loon or b) really pissed off about something.

Really? It is prohibited that people be seen smoking a cigarette, or drinking alcohol on television because it makes people want to partake in those activities, but shooting rampages in games and movies has zero effect?

Please explain the difference, I am curios to hear it.

Terry Lou

Nah, people are not prohibited from drinking alcohol or smoking cigs, crack, meth, mary, or whatever on television. Those activities are readily viewable on reality shows 24/7.

Trip20

Really? It is prohibited that people be seen smoking a cigarette, or drinking alcohol on television because it makes people want to partake in those activities, but shooting rampages in games and movies has zero effect?

Compare the number of "shooting rampages" to the number of video-gamers and if you draw a conclusion other than the "shooting rampage" bucket is a statistical anomaly, please put your logic in black and white for all to see.

davidmcbeth

Banned

I see movie scenes where folks play russian roulette ... but I'm still here ..

I don't think that people's behavior in movies regarding smoking or drinking affect very many if anyone.

I like watching japanese movies with a lot of slashing ... yet I feel no compulsion to buy a sword and chop people in half.

Why, have you been influenced by movies?

WisconsinDavid

Disagree

Nah, people are not prohibited from drinking alcohol or smoking cigs, crack, meth, mary, or whatever on television. Those activities are readily viewable on reality shows 24/7.

Really? Why were all television ads for cigarettes and hard alcohol banned from the airwaves? The rational was that advertisements such as these would encourage children to view these things differently and be tempted to partake. Isn't it amazing that these murderers are by and large children or young adults who still are very impressionable via the culture surrounding them. I do not believe that glorified violence and the increasing number or bad guys portrayed as heroes is without effect for someone who is young and unstable due to home life, school life or flawed by heredity.

NoTolerance

Really? Why were all television ads for cigarettes and hard alcohol banned from the airwaves?

Alcohol ads - including ads for hard alcohol - are still alive and well on TV. I doubt I'll ever be able to burn the image from my mind of the fat guy in the Speedo walking down the beach, carrying his glass of Southern Comfort...

As for smokes: one could easily argue that was one of the first successful strikes completed by the Nanny State. And they were able to get away with that in large part because smokers, as a general rule, loathe the fact that they smoke and pretty much refuse to stand up for their own rights because we know what we're doing is unhealthy. That, combined with the tobacco industry getting sued to high heaven for glorifying cigarette smoking.

Your overall premise is flawed.

Any action boils down to one thing and one thing only: personal responsibility. But in today's society, everything else is to blame because everyone is a victim.