• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spokane- Downtown Zip's Restaurant experience

p85-GSXwheelman

Hey everyone! Its been awhile since I've been on here. Well, I'll get right to it. I work fairly close to the Zips restaurant in downtown spokane on 3rd and Lincoln. I eat there VERY frequently on my lunch breaks and have never had a problem, always great service...and fast too. However today, the manager, John approached me and asked if I had a CPL. Although none of his d*** business, I obliged him anyway by answering "yes". He says, "you need to cover that (my 5.25" XDm-.45) up! Thats why It's called CONCEALED!" I realized I'm in his restaurant so I replied, "Okay, not a problem sir, I can take that under advisement for my next visit here. But are you aware that Washington is an open carry state?" he replies, "NO ITS NOT! ITS GOTTA BE COVERED!" I said, "Okay, well it is...and I would encourage you to research it for yourself, sir." He started walking away while I was talking and about 10 minites later....called my employer to "make sure he COVERS THAT UP WHEN HE COMES IN HERE!!!" My goodness....Im at a loss here. I dont wanna confront him anymore even in a friendly way, especially when my boss tells me "when yer in uniform, you represent this company....no open carrying while wearing it!" I cant risk my employment by engaging this moron any further....advice?

Trigger Dr

Follow the company policy for employees and the directions of your supervsor. Go to the restaurant for lunch, ask for the manager and let them know you have been a regular customer but that has come to an end due to his
attitude. Never go back.

dadada

I can see calling your boss "sir", but somebody else, why? You're not subservient to them. Did you roll over on your back and let him scratch your belly also? Don't give the stock, "I was being respectful" crap. It's not.

Last edited:

darkside

Sorry to hear what happened. As far as advice, I have a few suggestions.

1. Print a flyer for the manager so as to enlighten him about open carry in the state of Washington.
2. Follow your boss' orders and dont open carry as he instructed you.
3. When you give the manager at zips the flyer, inform him that his recent actions will have a large
influence on whether or not you decide to eat at his restaurant. Then leave.

These are my suggestions, take them for what they are, the typing of someone on the internet who may or may not have a clue as to what they are talking about.:lol:

Hey dadada, when i wore an employers uniform i was told to be polite to everyone no matter what because it would reflect on the company. Or maybe wheelman was raised to be polite by his parents. Which ever it is, it most definetly not your place to judge him.

Last edited:

p85-GSXwheelman

"sir", is a perfectly acceptable response to a stranger. Its how I was raised. And it IS respectful, everyone deserves respect until they show me otherwise. This gentleman being uneducated on the issue does not make him any less deserving of simple courtesy. It is ppl that are defensive right away and arrogant pricks that smear the name of reasonable law abiding OC'ers like me.

Thor80

Was that around 2:30 or 3ish this afternoon? Just curious I happened to be listening to my Iphone Police Scanner while driving and overheard parts of what sounded like a MWAG call. One of the responding officers asked dispatch to ask the complainant about how the gun was carried and specifically asked if it could just be an "Open Carry" call. Dispatch came back and said that it was just in a holster on the hip and I think the call died off after that. There was originally 4 units dispatched but I didn't hear anything after dispatch told them it was basically an OC person....

But basically my advice is while in company uniform even when on personal time you still represent the company you work for.... I think at this point my suggestions would be the same as Darkside suggested since he already knows your employer and could cause issues for you if you further engage him. Be subtle, and it may not hurt to record if you do as Darkside suggested with taking him a flyer and letting him know that you will no longer be eating at his restaurant so that he cannot say that you did something you did not do. Just make sure you stay in public so there is no expectation of privacy or let him know you're recording.....

-Thor

Grim_Night

I basically agree with the previous posters but I would suggest that if you do decide to approach the manager, do not do it while on company time or in uniform. That way, it can not be used against you at your job because you were doing it in a personal mannor

LarryM

I wouldn't worry.....

That particular Zip's is run by intellectual midgets anyway, and the store in Cheney runs a close second...I'm sure you can find other culinary venues right there close to downtown so no need to grace them with your custom from now on....

Absolutely no need to call that nose-picker "sir" or engage him/her/it in any conversation whatsoever. His attitude set the tone, It is absolutely none of his business whether or not you possess a CPL, and I certainly wouldn't have told him. If covering up wasn't something you wanted to do or was unable to do legally, all you would have to say was "I'm leaving" so potential witnesses could hear, (avoiding a tresspass citation) and then never set foot in there again....

o2ryan

I have half a mind to go in there myself, hand John a flyer and inform him that neither I nor anyone in my family will be patronizing his restaurant do to his actions and attitude toward OC. If the OP is the only one to do so, it won't have much impact, but if a dozen or so of us did, it would get the point across.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
P-85, get in contact with the owner and let him know how the manager handled the situation and the extent he (manager) took it to call your employer, you may end up being surprised that the situation gets resolved.
There are managers that act outside the owners preferences.

hermannr

Hey everyone! Its been awhile since I've been on here. Well, I'll get right to it. I work fairly close to the Zips restaurant in downtown spokane on 3rd and Lincoln. I eat there VERY frequently on my lunch breaks and have never had a problem, always great service...and fast too. However today, the manager, John approached me and asked if I had a CPL. Although none of his d*** business, I obliged him anyway by answering "yes". He says, "you need to cover that (my 5.25" XDm-.45) up! Thats why It's called CONCEALED!" I realized I'm in his restaurant so I replied, "Okay, not a problem sir, I can take that under advisement for my next visit here. But are you aware that Washington is an open carry state?" he replies, "NO ITS NOT! ITS GOTTA BE COVERED!" I said, "Okay, well it is...and I would encourage you to research it for yourself, sir." He started walking away while I was talking and about 10 minites later....called my employer to "make sure he COVERS THAT UP WHEN HE COMES IN HERE!!!" My goodness....Im at a loss here. I dont wanna confront him anymore even in a friendly way, especially when my boss tells me "when yer in uniform, you represent this company....no open carrying while wearing it!" I cant risk my employment by engaging this moron any further....advice?

The proper response is: Ok, if you do not want me to enter your restaurant, I won't be eating here any more.

Freedom1Man

Hey everyone! Its been awhile since I've been on here. Well, I'll get right to it. I work fairly close to the Zips restaurant in downtown spokane on 3rd and Lincoln. I eat there VERY frequently on my lunch breaks and have never had a problem, always great service...and fast too. However today, the manager, John approached me and asked if I had a CPL. Although none of his d*** business, I obliged him anyway by answering "yes".
I find that it's better to dodge the question and not answer it. When I run into this kind of thing I tell them that it's an open carry state and as long at it's not concealed then I don't need a CPL.

He says, "you need to cover that (my 5.25" XDm-.45) up! That's why It's called CONCEALED!" I realized I'm in his restaurant so I replied, "Okay, not a problem sir, I can take that under advisement for my next visit here. But are you aware that Washington is an open carry state?" he replies, "NO ITS NOT! ITS GOTTA BE COVERED!"snip...

My response to that would have been, "fine I will be leaving now." Then, if I was either waiting for my order or in the middle of eating it then I would skip the bill. If I am being asked to leave then I will comply. If they wish me to pay then I will tell them, "I would have gladly paid for my meal, however I wished to comply with your request for me to leave promptly and so I have. Since waiting around for the bill might put me at odds with the trespass laws I made the choice to promptly leave per your request. If you would like me to pay then, I will sit back down and finish my meal in peace. If that would be at odds with you then I will leave and you can eat the cost. Either way I will not be coming back and I will notify others that your establishment does not deserve the patronage of anyone else." It's the effect that you want. It would not have be exactly that.

The problem is that you answered a question that you, in my opinion, should have dodged. By not answering the question, yes the police may have been called, however idiots like him tend to believe it when a LEO tells him that you've not breaking any law.

Also was has already been addressed, call the owner and let him/her know about this experience if the manager WAS acting per their interests then you will not be coming back and will be drawing other business away from them with you.

I really hope it was just an idiot manager and you're apologized to.

Last edited: