• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New gun bills and changes

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Needless to say, I disagree with the P4P bill, but only mildly. I'll be honest, the BOD is doing such a good job this year, I don't have much to bitch about.

From VCDL Alerts

Here are changes to current bills that I just sent to John Pierce so he can update the VCDL Legislation Tracking Tool. New bills were just introduced, both bad and good (from restoring the One Handgun A Month law to providing CHP holders a faster background check when buying a gun). Other items are changing status, such as from STRONGLY SUPPORT to NEUTRAL, etc, after the bill has been changed in committee.1. Change HB 1391 from STRONGLY SUPPORT to STRONGLY OPPOSE. New description: " in current form bans guns from General Assembly Building, except for legislators."2. Change SB 786 from STRONGLY OPPOSE to NEUTRAL. New description: "current version requires police to enter stolen gun information into the NCIC system."3. Change SB 864 from STRONGLY OPPOSE to NEUTRAL. New Description: "provides that a person subject to an emergency protective order cannot physically possess a gun in the home of the alleged victim nor transport a gun once served."4. New: STRONGLY OPPOSE: HB 2251, Delegate Lopez, places severe restrictions on the sale, transfer, & possession of magazines that will hold more than 20 rounds. The restrictions would not apply to the police or military. Possession of such a magazine is only allowed if no lower capacity magazine will work in the firearm and possession requires registration and a background check. A registrant is limited to three high capacity magazines and must otherwise dispose of all magazines in excess of that limit.5. New: STRONGLY OPPOSE: HB 2263, Delegate Krupicka, authorizes the state to temporarily confiscate the firearms and ammunition of anyone who certain medical and other professionals feels has made a threat of suicide or other violence. This law would discourage someone from seeking help.6. Change SB 1214 from OPPOSE to NEUTRAL. New Description: "adds items to violent felonies"7. Change HB 1746 from OPPOSE to NEUTRAL. New Description: "adds items to violent felonies"8: New: OPPOSE: HB 2235, Delegate Lingamfelter, increases the penalties for using a gun in a crime. This is a “feel good” measure that will not make anyone any safer and it, yet again, villainizes guns. What this bill says is that the penalty for a crime should be determined by the tool the criminal uses. So, if a criminal uses a knife to murder someone, that’s not a big deal. But if they use a gun to murder the same person, then we’re really going to go after them! Why don’t we go after them equally anytime they commit a murder or other violent crime? Dead is dead and murder is murder, irrespective of the tool the murderer uses.8: Change HB 1415 from NEUTRAL to OPPOSE9. New: NEUTRAL: HB 2240, Delegate Cosgrove, shares information on protective orders and other gun purchase/possession disqualifications with the federal government.10. NEW: STRONGLY SUPPORT: HB 2317, Delegate Anderson, allows military personnel residing in a nearby state and commuting to a duty post in Virginia, to be able to purchase guns in Virginia.11. New: STRONGLY OPPOSE: HB 2327, Delegate Brink, reimplements the old “One Handgun a Month” rationing law.12: New: STRONGLY SUPPORT: HB 2340, Delegate Marshall, prohibits state agencies, local governments, or employees thereof from assisting the federal government in any searches, seizures related to firearms, ammunition, or magazines. Also any federal attempt to create a private sale background check requirement will be treated likewise.13: New: STRONGLY SUPPORT: HB 2340, Delegate Lingamfelter, gives CHP holders an expedited background check when purchasing a firearm.

Last edited:

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
I'm glad to see new bills are still being introduced.

Perhaps there's a glimmer of hope for my two top priority bills:

- Constitutional Carry (it's the only logical approach)

- Elimination of the inept State Police background check unit (a right delayed is a right denied, and delays are ongoing)

A nice surprise: HB 2340, Delegate Marshall, prohibits state agencies, local governments, or employees thereof from assisting the federal government in any searches, seizures related to firearms, ammunition, or magazines. Also any federal attempt to create a private sale background check requirement will be treated likewise.

It doesn't sound as strong as approaches being considered by states like Wyoming, but still it's nice to see.

tkd2006

I'm glad to see new bills are still being introduced.

Perhaps there's a glimmer of hope for my two top priority bills:

- Elimination of the inept State Police background check unit (a right delayed is a right denied, and delays are ongoing)

This is the most insane thing I've heard here in quite a while. The state check is all that stands between the Feds and your guns. Right now the checks that are done by the VA State Police are better than the service provided by the Feds. Maybe you should do more research before wishing for things that can and will come back to haunt VA residents. The feds are currently delayed by up to 18 to 24 hours due to the volume of gun sales.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
This is the most insane thing I've heard here in quite a while. The state check is all that stands between the Feds and your guns. Right now the checks that are done by the VA State Police are better than the service provided by the Feds. Maybe you should do more research before wishing for things that can and will come back to haunt VA residents. The feds are currently delayed by up to 18 to 24 hours due to the volume of gun sales.

People are bitching all over the state about the hold-ups, all because the state won't give up it's welfare-to-the-govt program, having us fund some inept state police bureau for a redundant check.

My reps have heard from me repeatedly on this, and will hear from me more at Lobby Day.

The Fed system has much greater capacity. If the state system were revamped/replaced with something reliable, maybe then it would be reliable.

You're a Californian, right? Most who are too scared to fill out their location profile end up being from California. Why should your perspective matter?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Maybe if the State Police used the fee they collect to fund the background check unit, instead of whatever they do with the money, we would not be hearing that they "just don't have enough people" to do the checks.

Talk with your Senator and Delegate about that.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Breathe, Peter, breathe.

stay safe.

Here are changes to current bills that I just sent to John Pierce so he can update the VCDL Legislation Tracking Tool. New bills were just introduced, both bad and good (from restoring the One Handgun A Month law to providing CHP holders a faster background check when buying a gun). Other items are changing status, such as from STRONGLY SUPPORT to NEUTRAL, etc, after the bill has been changed in committee.

1. Change HB 1391 from STRONGLY SUPPORT to STRONGLY OPPOSE. New description: " in current form bans guns from General Assembly Building, except for legislators."

2. Change SB 786 from STRONGLY OPPOSE to NEUTRAL. New description: "current version requires police to enter stolen gun information into the NCIC system."

3. Change SB 864 from STRONGLY OPPOSE to NEUTRAL. New Description: "provides that a person subject to an emergency protective order cannot physically possess a gun in the home of the alleged victim nor transport a gun once served."

4. New: STRONGLY OPPOSE: HB 2251, Delegate Lopez, places severe restrictions on the sale, transfer, & possession of magazines that will hold more than 20 rounds. The restrictions would not apply to the police or military. Possession of such a magazine is only allowed if no lower capacity magazine will work in the firearm and possession requires registration and a background check. A registrant is limited to three high capacity magazines and must otherwise dispose of all magazines in excess of that limit.

5. New: STRONGLY OPPOSE: HB 2263, Delegate Krupicka, authorizes the state to temporarily confiscate the firearms and ammunition of anyone who certain medical and other professionals feels has made a threat of suicide or other violence. This law would discourage someone from seeking help.

6. Change SB 1214 from OPPOSE to NEUTRAL. New Description: "adds items to violent felonies"

7. Change HB 1746 from OPPOSE to NEUTRAL. New Description: "adds items to violent felonies"

8: New: OPPOSE: HB 2235, Delegate Lingamfelter, increases the penalties for using a gun in a crime. This is a “feel good” measure that will not make anyone any safer and it, yet again, villainizes guns. What this bill says is that the penalty for a crime should be determined by the tool the criminal uses. So, if a criminal uses a knife to murder someone, that’s not a big deal. But if they use a gun to murder the same person, then we’re really going to go after them! Why don’t we go after them equally anytime they commit a murder or other violent crime? Dead is dead and murder is murder, irrespective of the tool the murderer uses

.8: Change HB 1415 from NEUTRAL to OPPOSE

9. New: NEUTRAL: HB 2240, Delegate Cosgrove, shares information on protective orders and other gun purchase/possession disqualifications with the federal government.

10. NEW: STRONGLY SUPPORT: HB 2317, Delegate Anderson, allows military personnel residing in a nearby state and commuting to a duty post in Virginia, to be able to purchase guns in Virginia.

11. New: STRONGLY OPPOSE: HB 2327, Delegate Brink, reimplements the old “One Handgun a Month” rationing law.

12: New: STRONGLY SUPPORT: HB 2340, Delegate Marshall, prohibits state agencies, local governments, or employees thereof from assisting the federal government in any searches, seizures related to firearms, ammunition, or magazines. Also any federal attempt to create a private sale background check requirement will be treated likewise.

13: New: STRONGLY SUPPORT: HB 2340, Delegate Lingamfelter, gives CHP holders an expedited background check when purchasing a firearm.