• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Appreciation Day!

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
Folks,

First off, my apologies for "going ghost" for a while. As some of you may know, Baby Jersey Rodriguez was born on November 10th, 2012, and I have been taking some time time off (both before and after) to deal with some unremitting health issues and with Jersey herself. As it turns out, a newborn (our first) is tough business, and I've been spending my time gathering knowledge at places like whattoexpect.com forums instead of the opencarry.org and 1911 forums.

Today, however, is the 19th of January, also known as the very first Gun Appreciation Day: http://gunappreciationday.com
Luckily, there's a gun show in the Miami area that I'll be able to attend (today and tomorrow) where I'll be able to to greet many friends in the Miami area whose friendship I have cultivated throughout many years as a shooter, along with the many gun shops and ranges that have sent legal business my way, and whose facilities I frequently patronized (before the prospect of having a child came along, whereupon I hunkered down to prepare for this latest life challenge).

Yesterday, I went on Zazzle and ordered some Florida Carry gear (even some awesome pink baby-sized stuff), and today I'll be wearing my magnificent NRA constitution shirt to the show. I have nothing to sell; in fact, if firearms were a financial stock, now would be the time for a very firm "Hold what you have and strongly buy what you can." I'll be visiting with some of the finest gunsmiths in the area and chatting it up with some of the finest and most dedicated defenders of freedom I have ever known (in the fields of battle, in the courts, in the gun shops & ranges, and even formerly in the state legislature). While others should be competing, with good cause, for high cap mags and so-called assault rifles, I'll be searching for another Berryville masterpiece (Wilson Combat) and walking out with a wagon of ammunition. I'll "appreciate" my guns today by doing the aforesaid, and by shooting some of that ammo later on during the afternoon (I haven't shot in months). What I will not do is talk to any cameras or any newspapers.

My advice: If you are at the show or at any gun event where the media is present, your best bet is to keep going and not comment. They are mostly there to twist your words around and make you look like a nut. Let's keep that in mind before we say whatever we are inclined to say on camera (or in print). As it stands, the leadership of the NRA, Florida Carry, and The National Coalition to Stop the Gun Ban seem to have a very firm handle on what to say. I am more than happy to allow them to speak for me.

I'll be back at work (and back to posting more regularly) on February 4th. Though I've been absent for a bit, I continue to fiercely support this forum and everything it stands for, and I certainly hope to see you at the Miami show this weekend.

Cheers,
Jojo

77zach

Congratulations jojo. I believe we'll come out of this unscathed as long as people contact their reps, and join nra/goa/fl carry, etc. Just like after columbine. I just hope we can get OC here. Fl is NOT New York!

77zach

Can I get an "Amen" on that one!!

AD

The horror of Newtown should reveal where the lines are drawn. The Northeast and California will fall. NY already has. Time for the rest of the nation to go on the offensive and work for full respect of the this important civil right.

Last edited: