• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry event, Beavercreek, 1000 hrs, 26 Jan

Judas

Friends,
I am coordinating an Open Carry event 1000 next Saturday, 26 January, at Woody's BBQ in Beavercreek. More info will be forthcoming. Let me know if you'd like to attend or have questions. It's open to anyone - friends, family, etc. If you can legally own a firearm in the state of Ohio, you're welcome to attend and carry. I've already coordinated with the restaurant and Beavercreek PD and will coordinate with the media shortly. I need a headcount ASAP! Let me know if there are any questions.

eye95

Next Saturday is one of my rare late days. I don't go into work until 1230, so I can attend and will need to leave early enough to stop by my apartment and disarm before going on base to work. I'll be there.

Can you cross-post this on ohiooc.org?

Judas

I will post it there now. Any other suggestions/sites I should post it on? This is the first time I've ever done this.

Judas

Team,
Just wanted to let everyone know that Woody's serves alcohol and, as such, may preclude many from attending due to laws requiring a CHL at events serving liquor. I am coordinating with the restaurant to either postpone alcohol sales until after the event or push the event back a day - to Sunday. I apologize for the inconvenience; I was unaware of these regulations until this evening. Please standby as I work this issue.

Judas

I spoke with the owner of Woody's BBQ this morning. He will post a sign and suspend alcohol sales until after we leave, so it looks like we are good to go. I will continue to post updates as needed.

eye95

He can't even give it away. Sales don't matter. There must be zero consumption of alcohol while we are there. Zero.

Can we have that assurance?

Hareuhal

He can't even give it away. Sales don't matter. There must be zero consumption of alcohol while we are there. Zero.

Can we have that assurance?

Just to clarify even more than Eye has, consumption includes ANYONE in the building. Workers, owner, patrons, etc.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Judas

I understand that. I spoke to him today on the phone. He said he would post a sign on the door and do whatever it takes - he strongly reemphasized his desire to work with and accommodate us. I will ensure I share our concerns with him and that he understands. Thanks for the guidance.

eye95

May I suggest the following wording:

"Any drinking on these premises today before x:xx will place unlicensed open carriers in this establishment in grave legal peril. Do you really want to piss off a room full of armed folks just for a glass of beer?"

j/k

Judas

Team,
Thanks to all who showed up to support us. Excellent turnout, I enjoyed meeting and talking to everyone. Fox45, WDTN and WHIO all showed up and interviewed some of us. We'll see how it turns out this evening when we see it. We'll definitely do another one in the near future.

JmE

I'm sorry that I missed notice of this one.

Reports, photos, and links to news stories would be great. (If it's already posted on OhioOC.org, I'll catch up when I swing by there this week.)

Judas

Here's a quick report on the OC event we had over the weekend;

About 14 of us met up at Woody's BBQ in Beavercreek. Mike, the owner, was very supportive and accommodating to us the entire time. We hung out and got to know everyone for a while. During this time FOX 45 showed up and interviewed several of us. They were also heading up to a gun show at Hara Arena afterwards to interview a gun control group "Ceasefire Dayton" who was protesting. After the interviews we gathered up and did a short walk down to the Kroger parking lot and through it and then back to Woody's. We were met by a WHIO reporter who did a short interview with a few of us as well. As we were eating a WDTN reporter also showed up for an interview. The link for Fox45 is below, I don't have the other links.

http://fox45now.com/shared/news/top-stories/stories/wrgt_vid_11078.shtml

In my opinion Fox presented us in the best light and gave us the most exposure while the other two only grabbed a short sound bite out of ~20 minutes of interview. I think everyone had a good time and met some new friends, I haven't received anything negative. We got some great ideas about future events; blood drive, community service like roadside trash pick-up, etc. I'm probably going to start planning for another event in mid-March. I didn't take any pictures this time. In hindsight we should have brought our own cameras.