• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oopsie ... Virginian-Pilot's Bias Is Showing Again

USNA69

This article appeared in Saturday's Norfolk Virginian-Pilot:
http://epilot.hamptonroads.com/Oliv...pageno=MTk.&entity=QXIwMTkwNg..&view=ZW50aXR5

That prompted me to submit a LTE, taking the reporter to task:

Gun Puns Unprofessional

Reporter Julian Walker’s article in the Saturday, January 19[SUP]th[/SUP] Pilot (A false start for gun-show bill) must have slipped by the copy editors. Of course, I cannot know Mr. Walker’s personal views on firearms, but I can certainly infer them from his choice of metaphors in the article. I might have overlooked “a series of other Democrat-sponsored bills … were shot down in the morning committee hearing”, had it not been followed closely by “The gun bills slain Friday included …”. Slain? Not “rejected”? Not “voted down”?

And then, there was “…the same day a slew of gun-rights advocates are expected to descend on the Capitol.” Slew? Descend? They are not locusts, they are citizens. They are not General Grant’s army laying siege to Richmond.

To illustrate my point, would you publish an article about an abortion bill in committee, in which the reporter stated that legislators were “vacuuming” up votes, “ripping out” amendments, and “terminating” debate?

KBCraig

:banana:

That, Sir, is one helluva letter. It is precise, succinct, well written, and contains just exactly the proper degree of snarkasm.

I salute you!