Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: bar fight

  1. #1
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    bar fight

    So, I was at the bar last night. Long story short, one girl in our group asked where her boyfriend was. I said I saw him just a second ago on the stairs talking with someone. She asked who, and I described the brunette girl that he was talking with.

    About 10 minutes later, I had gone to the restroom and walked back down to my friends. Her boyfriend immediately starting yelling, asking if I told his g/f about the other girl. I kept my hands in front of me and said relax, it's cool, relax. He tried to jump over the table between us. He then walked around and pushed me. I kept telling him to relax - I was cornered.

    He was yelling, calling me names, and threatening me. A crowd was forming. He pushed me again then swung with his right and caught me square in the cheekbone. I kinda feel stupid for not seeing it coming. Oddly enough, it didn'tphase me. I stepped forward, looked him in the eye, and said "you don't have to hit me". His eyes went from rage to confusion. He stumbled back, grabbed his jacket, and left. The crowd stared at me dumbfounded.

    Just then my girlfriend and her friend walked up. They wanted to dance...so we danced! They had no idea what happened, and that was ok.

    I had the means to severely injure that man last night. I'm glad I didn't.

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,628
    Quote Originally Posted by DreQo View Post
    So, I was at the bar last night. Long story short, one girl in our group asked where her boyfriend was. I said I saw him just a second ago on the stairs talking with someone. She asked who, and I described the brunette girl that he was talking with.

    About 10 minutes later, I had gone to the restroom and walked back down to my friends. Her boyfriend immediately starting yelling, asking if I told his g/f about the other girl. I kept my hands in front of me and said relax, it's cool, relax. He tried to jump over the table between us. He then walked around and pushed me. I kept telling him to relax - I was cornered.

    He was yelling, calling me names, and threatening me. A crowd was forming. He pushed me again then swung with his right and caught me square in the cheekbone. I kinda feel stupid for not seeing it coming. Oddly enough, it didn'tphase me. I stepped forward, looked him in the eye, and said "you don't have to hit me". His eyes went from rage to confusion. He stumbled back, grabbed his jacket, and left. The crowd stared at me dumbfounded.

    Just then my girlfriend and her friend walked up. They wanted to dance...so we danced! They had no idea what happened, and that was ok.

    I had the means to severely injure that man last night. I'm glad I didn't.
    You showed great restraint and wisdom in your final actions. Can't honestly say as much regarding the first paragraph above - but maybe that is just me.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member pfries's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    182
    Grapeshot is right, keep in mind Life is a tough teacher, and she gives you the test before the lesson.

    Knowing when is when can be hard and costly if you get it wrong.

    Under the circumstances I think you handled it great, just reflect on what happened and make any changes you feel necessary to avoid the situations in the first place.

    Just my two cents, but good job on not escalating a situation that could have easily gotten out of hand.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA
    Posts
    31

    Re: bar fight

    Good on you for taking a threatening, frankly scary, situation and turning it to your advantage. I'm glad it ended well.

    Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    You showed great restraint and wisdom in your final actions. Can't honestly say as much regarding the first paragraph above - but maybe that is just me.
    If I had been intentionally instigating (which I've been known to do) or being nosey, I would feel more responsible. Honestly though, she asked where he was, I said talking on the stairs, she asked with who, and I said I didn't know the person, but she had dark hair and was wearing a black coat. I thought she might be a friend. *shrug*

    I just found out today that she is a very jealous girl apparently. Oops.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by DreQo View Post
    If I had been intentionally instigating (which I've been known to do) or being nosey, I would feel more responsible. Honestly though, she asked where he was, I said talking on the stairs, she asked with who, and I said I didn't know the person, but she had dark hair and was wearing a black coat. I thought she might be a friend. *shrug*

    I just found out today that she is a very jealous girl apparently. Oops.
    Very mature way to handle the situation. Good Job.

    JJC

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mountain Home, Arkansas, United States
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by DreQo View Post
    If I had been intentionally instigating (which I've been known to do) or being nosey, I would feel more responsible. Honestly though, she asked where he was, I said talking on the stairs, she asked with who, and I said I didn't know the person, but she had dark hair and was wearing a black coat. I thought she might be a friend. *shrug*

    I just found out today that she is a very jealous girl apparently. Oops.

    All you did was answer her questions. If her boyfriend's intent was good he wouldn't have reacted that way.

    You showed restraint because he is or was a friend but what if that had been a stranger? I guess I'm not that impressed with showing restraint with a friend. I've been in fights with friends too words are said and fisticuffs break out but I've never been a feared for my life from a friend. If I was we wouldn't be friends.
    Last edited by Packer fan; 01-26-2013 at 05:08 AM.
    Don't confuse me with the facts, I have my emotions!

    I guess that's the difference between no crime and "stopping" a crime in progress. I prefer no crime.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    OP is not Irish ... clearly

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4pPdOoAsRM

    When I'm drinking its usually ends up in a dance, just a different dance.

    And NO, I do not have a drinking problem ... other people have the problem.

    har har har ......talking about me youthful adventures

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    37
    I know in Arkansas it is a felony if you carry into a Bar. Glad to hear you had some restraint but I would have gone Chuck Norris on his a$$ with a beer bottle!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,202
    This a prime case of it is not smart to go to bars. A lot of bad things happen when you are around people who have been drinking.

    I find it is much better to advoid those places all togather.

    Do not go to bars and one well advoid bar fights. One will be away from stuip a$$ drunks that could ruin your life even if your totally in the right.

    One can spend many years and tens of thousands of dollars defending yourself even if your totally in the right.

    Stay away from trouble spots and one will find you well get into less trouble.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    You showed great restraint and wisdom in your final actions. Can't honestly say as much regarding the first paragraph above - but maybe that is just me.
    They weren't underway so he has no obligation to keep a secret. Personally it's not my job to police my friends or their romantic entanglements.

  12. #12
    Activist Member golddigger14s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lacey, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,991
    Quote Originally Posted by DreQo View Post

    I had the means to severely injure that man last night. I'm glad I didn't.
    Does this mean you had a gun in a bar? I can't speak for the laws in your state, but I know in WA you would be in legal trouble.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,628
    Quote Originally Posted by golddigger14s View Post
    Does this mean you had a gun in a bar? I can't speak for the laws in your state, but I know in WA you would be in legal trouble.
    Different states = different laws.

    In but a very few states is it totally banned.
    http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=150
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  14. #14
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by DreQo
    I just found out today that she is a very jealous girl apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Packer fan
    All you did was answer her questions.
    If her boyfriend's intent was good he wouldn't have reacted that way.
    Agreed. Maybe she's too jealous, but it seems she has something to worry about.

    Quote Originally Posted by sopranos27
    in Arkansas it is a felony if you carry into a Bar.
    Another case of "know your laws". Here in WI it's legal to carry concealed in a "tavern"* unless you're drinking alcohol.
    To make it more confusing, it's legal to OC with permission from the owner or manager, and the only restriction on alcohol is that you must not be "materially impaired". Since that's flexible & mostly undetermined, best not to try it.

    * Tavern = bar or restaurant which serves alcohol for on-premises consumption.

    I would have gone Chuck Norris on his a$$ with a beer bottle!
    In some states, you could be convicted of aggravated assault simply for committing assault while in possession of a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

  15. #15
    Regular Member We-the-People's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    White City, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    2,234
    Know your states laws alrighty......In Oregon it's perfectly legal to OC (or CC with permission slip) in a bar. It's even perfectly legal (though pretty stupid) to be flat out drunk while carrying. Strangely (sarcasm), we don't get many gunfights in bars. Hmmmmmm could the brady bunch be wrong?
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •