• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wichita High School teacher here.......hesitent to open carry YET......

ruskiegunlover

I am a serious gun rights advocate, own all kinds of guns, including the scary ones everyone wants to ban. Love guns and target shooting, even hunting occassionally. I am a 2nd year teacher in 259, and am hesitant to OC until I am tenured, as then if I was on the news they couldn't just fire me. Call me paranoid, but I work behind enemy lines when it comes to politics, and do not trust that if I was involved with ANYTHING good or bad I could easily be seen as a problem, or embarrassment for the district. But reading on here about you guys's experiences is great, and makes me more comfortable doing it.

Oh, and I am NOT talking about CC or OC in school. That I know I cannot do (as much as I am in favor of it), and I do not do it. I am just saying until I am tenured, I will not OC anywhere in wichita out of fear of job reprisals given the liberal nature of where I work.

marine0300

Carry In Schools Yes!

per HB2528 Kansas permit holders can carry in schools as long as there building is not posted. Now your a teacher an employ of the district they can fire you but could not bring weapons charges against you as long as you have a permit.

Only buildings can be posted so if they are you can still be on School grounds armed if your a permit holder.

KTCerberus

^Thanks marine0300. I had even the guys at a local gun store freaking when I mentioned that schools must be posted now to disallow CC. They didn't even know that it was legal to carry in unposted bars as long as you are not drinking. I guess they still live under the original Kansas CCP rules which is odd since one is an instructor.

I have open carried since August when Wichita came into compliance with state law. I have only had one person talk to me or approach me in that time and I carry every day, and everywhere. I won't set foot into any stores or buildings that are posted or where it would be illegal to do so (you "can" open carry in posted buildings but you are likely to be thrown out, and possibly arrested. You may beat the rap, but you wont beat the ride.)

Wichita for the most part seems to be full of people who just don't care or who are too oblivious to even notice. Part of the reason I have escaped notice or harassment is likely due to my dress and appearance. I always wear khaki or wool trousers and a button up long sleeved shirt or a polo. I'm in my mid twenties and maintain a decent haircut and trim my facial hair. Looking decent seems to keep people from getting nervous, or accosting you while you go about your business while OCing.

ruskiegunlover

Yeah, all wichita schools are posted, so thats a no go. But I had no idea I COULD if it was not posted. BUT, you mean I can carry at school in my car? In that case, I will start. I am going to call the state attorney generals office to clarify that and make damned sure. But I would carry TO work, and leave in my glove box if allowed.

Had no idea that changed.