Thread: Senate Bill 346 - 2013 - Ban of hi cap mags

Campaign Veteran

Senate Bill 346 - 2013 - Ban of hi cap mags

http://www.leg.state.or.us/13reg/mea...0346.intro.pdf

SECTION 1. (1) A person commits the crime of unlawfully transferring a large capacity
    magazine if the person knowingly sells, or otherwise transfers for consideration, a large capacity
    magazine.

Honestly, I don't understand Section 3:

SECTION 3. This 2013 Act being necessary for the immediate preservation of the public
    peace, health and safety, an emergency is declared to exist, and this 2013 Act takes effect
    on its passage.

So is Oregon saying there is a permanent state of emergency? If they declare the state of emergency over does that mean this proposed law would no longer be in effect? Are they forgetting that a good guy with a hi-cap mag stopped a bad guy with hi-cap mags at Clackamas Town Center? What good will this do in Oregon? What are they scared of about hi-caps here? Is this already passed or is it in the process right now?

I guess that's all the questions I have right now ^_^

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Thanks for posting about these two senate bills. Write your state senator about SB 346 and SB 347. Find their contact information here: http://www.leg.state.or.us/findlegsltr/

Quote Originally Posted by DenWin View Post
    Honestly, I don't understand Section 3:

SECTION 3. This 2013 Act being necessary for the immediate preservation of the public
    peace, health and safety, an emergency is declared to exist, and this 2013 Act takes effect
    on its passage.

So is Oregon saying there is a permanent state of emergency? If they declare the state of emergency over does that mean this proposed law would no longer be in effect? Are they forgetting that a good guy with a hi-cap mag stopped a bad guy with hi-cap mags at Clackamas Town Center? What good will this do in Oregon? What are they scared of about hi-caps here? Is this already passed or is it in the process right now?

I guess that's all the questions I have right now ^_^
    No. That's just boilerplate so that the law takes effect immediately upon the governor's signature, rather than some time down the road. Nothing to do with any "declaration of emergency."

So this means we can't display one in public and can't buy them.. What if one is already owned? Is it ileagl to own one?

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattimusmaximus View Post
    So this means we can't display one in public and can't buy them.. What if one is already owned? Is it ileagl to own one?

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-
    Maybe I missed something. Where does it say that a high cap magazine can't be displayed? To me it seems that they are just preventing the sale of. I don't see anything about getting rid of what you currently have or using them.

I have heard and am still looking for the facts but supposedly in New York starting next year it will be illegal to own them. Still looking and if someone else finds it.

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattimusmaximus View Post
    I have heard and am still looking for the facts but supposedly in New York starting next year it will be illegal to own them. Still looking and if someone else finds it.
    Yup. http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms-faq

Work on your google-fu.

If this for some reason does pass, there seems to be a pretty easy loophole: for those living near the Columbia River, simply buy them in Washington. It doesn't seem to say anything about owning high cap mags or "importing" them as California says.

Very true I wonder if there will be some guy selling them out of his van lol (shifty eyes) not me

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-