• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senate Bill 346 - 2013 - Ban of hi cap mags

DenWin

Honestly, I don't understand Section 3:

SECTION 3. This 2013 Act being necessary for the immediate preservation of the public
peace, health and safety, an emergency is declared to exist, and this 2013 Act takes effect
on its passage.

So is Oregon saying there is a permanent state of emergency? If they declare the state of emergency over does that mean this proposed law would no longer be in effect? Are they forgetting that a good guy with a hi-cap mag stopped a bad guy with hi-cap mags at Clackamas Town Center? What good will this do in Oregon? What are they scared of about hi-caps here? Is this already passed or is it in the process right now?

I guess that's all the questions I have right now ^_^

Gunhobbit

Honestly, I don't understand Section 3:

SECTION 3. This 2013 Act being necessary for the immediate preservation of the public
peace, health and safety, an emergency is declared to exist, and this 2013 Act takes effect
on its passage.

So is Oregon saying there is a permanent state of emergency? If they declare the state of emergency over does that mean this proposed law would no longer be in effect? Are they forgetting that a good guy with a hi-cap mag stopped a bad guy with hi-cap mags at Clackamas Town Center? What good will this do in Oregon? What are they scared of about hi-caps here? Is this already passed or is it in the process right now?

I guess that's all the questions I have right now ^_^

No. That's just boilerplate so that the law takes effect immediately upon the governor's signature, rather than some time down the road. Nothing to do with any "declaration of emergency."

Mattimusmaximus

So this means we can't display one in public and can't buy them.. What if one is already owned? Is it ileagl to own one?

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
So this means we can't display one in public and can't buy them.. What if one is already owned? Is it ileagl to own one?

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

Maybe I missed something. Where does it say that a high cap magazine can't be displayed? To me it seems that they are just preventing the sale of. I don't see anything about getting rid of what you currently have or using them.

Mattimusmaximus

I have heard and am still looking for the facts but supposedly in New York starting next year it will be illegal to own them. Still looking and if someone else finds it.

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

acmariner99

If this for some reason does pass, there seems to be a pretty easy loophole: for those living near the Columbia River, simply buy them in Washington. It doesn't seem to say anything about owning high cap mags or "importing" them as California says.

Mattimusmaximus

Very true I wonder if there will be some guy selling them out of his van lol (shifty eyes) not me :)

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-