Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a suggestion on a new barrel for my Glock 23

Looking for a suggestion on a new barrel for my Glock 23

Looking to upgrade my factory Glock 23 barrel, and had a discussion with an Allegan County Sheriff Deputy whom I work with that he doesn't like Glocks due to them being inaccurate out of the box. He recommended that I try putting in a different barrel over the factory ones, and he said I would never go back to factory barrels again. So after a discussion on OC at work, I decided to take his advice. I've had my sidearm for a while now, why not upgrade it a little bit. If it tightens my groups as he stated, it's well worth it. Any recommendations? I don't have any issues with my groups now, however if a quick simple upgrade can improve them, why not right?

Carry On!

Glock214
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Yeah your friend is a goof. Factory glock barrels are plenty accurate. If you like shooting lead some people like lone wolf barrels as they have standard land and groove rifling instead of polygonal rifling. personally i have shot thousands of lead projectiles through a polygonal rifled barrel with no more leading than land and groove.

As for more accurate you are better served taking a few advanced pistol shooting classes than fooling with barrels.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

It's only as accurate as the person shooting it IMO.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Banned
    Get one for simunition

Re: Looking for a suggestion on a new barrel for my Glock 23

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Get one for simunition
    Trying to get simunition to use it with is like well...

I have never heard Glocks were inaccurate out of the box. They are though not designed to use lead ammo, and get lousy accuracy with lead bullets, not to mention possible kabooms. If you wish to use lead bullets then yes you should buy a button rifled barrel.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

That's what I thought, my groups are rather tight as it is, but I thought, he's a deputy sheriff, so he has to know guns. But thank you for all weighing in on my question. I appreciate it, and have decided after reading the responses to stick with my factory Glock as I have no issues with accuracy myself. Thanks to everyone. I thought I would get good honest opinions on here, and as, always I did.

Carry On!

Glock214
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

I suspect there are a great many here who I would think no more about guns than a majority of police officers. My glock was pretty accurate out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock214 View Post
    That's what I thought, my groups are rather tight as it is, but I thought, he's a deputy sheriff, so he has to know guns. But thank you for all weighing in on my question. I appreciate it, and have decided after reading the responses to stick with my factory Glock as I have no issues with accuracy myself. Thanks to everyone. I thought I would get good honest opinions on here, and as, always I did.

Carry On!

Glock214
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

but I thought, he's a deputy sheriff, so he has to know guns.
    RULE #1: Never ask a LEO for legal advice.

RULE #2: Never ask a LEO for gun advice.

Quote Originally Posted by SPOProds View Post

+1000
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Isn't this anti LEO? I would say it was, but I doubt that will matter.

My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

I would ask police questions about tactics, especially if their department uses good ones. I would however almost never ask a cop about either gun mechanical specs or the law based on them being a cop.

Your Glock is already well more accurate than you will ever need it to be for defensive purposes. Bear in mind that it's a rarity in a defensive situation to have the chance to so much as use your sights. Hip shooting is the rule, not the exception when it comes to civilians defending themselves with handguns.

If your glock printed 30" groups at 25 yards out of a ransom rest that would still likely work just fine. That doesn't however change the fact that with jacketed ammo of any quality Glocks are essentially tack drivers.
    Last edited by Michigander; 01-21-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    No, it's anti asking people that pretend to be experts for advice.

Banned
    Trying to get simunition to use it with is like well...
    Ah, make your own ! Its only laundry detergent with a little bit of polyvinyl alcohol as a binder I think. Or maybe just pressed detergent. You could likely use many biodegradable products too...

No one said anything disparaging; they were just dispensing with advice that has proven itself over time. Some LEOs are knowledgeable about law AND firearms, some are not, and you may never know the difference until its too late.

The forums are filled with stories about LEOs that teach the legal portion of CPL classes, dispensing opinion as legal fact to a vulnerable group. Not every cop is a 'gun guy'. Just because I work on a PC all day does not qualify me as an expert on PCs; cops & guns, same thing.

You know what they call the guy who graduates at the bottom of his class at the police academy?
    Last edited by Shadow Bear; 01-21-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

I got a 357 Sig barrel for my G23. Still uses the same mags. As far as shooting lead ammo in the factory barrel, it needs to be hard alloys.
    Lower the crime rate by lowering the criminal survival rate!
    When people say 'God Bless America' I'm sure He says, "I gave you Texas!"

Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    Yeah your friend is a goof. Factory glock barrels are plenty accurate. If you like shooting lead some people like lone wolf barrels as they have standard land and groove rifling instead of polygonal rifling. personally i have shot thousands of lead projectiles through a polygonal rifled barrel with no more leading than land and groove.

As for more accurate you are better served taking a few advanced pistol shooting classes than fooling with barrels.
    +1

Actually, Glocks are known to be exceptionally accurate just out of the box. I have an extra barrel for my G23 (.40sw)...a 9mm conversion barrel . My thought at the time was that at some point in the future .40sw would become hard to find. Boy, was I wrong... right now I can find plenty of .40sw and have seen very little 9mm as of late..
    Last edited by DrTodd; 01-21-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I have never heard Glocks were inaccurate out of the box. They are though not designed to use lead ammo, and get lousy accuracy with lead bullets, not to mention possible kabooms. If you wish to use lead bullets then yes you should buy a button rifled barrel.
    I beg to differ.. It is more about slugging the barrel and selecting the correct diameter bullets.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Your friend is not a "goof" and he probably has done competition shooting which frames his attitude toward the Glock. The Glock is made reliable first so accuracy can suffer as a result. For those of us who have shot National Competition the Glock lacks a little, and if you have shot a customized 1911 you will see a huge different in accuracy. Now what is accurate to one person may be inadequate to others. But saying all this, the Glock can be improved and a decent barrel will do such. You might get on the glock talk forums and see what is done to improve accuracy, but always keep in mind if you carry, reliability is paramount. I don't worry about cutting the same hole at 50 feet when I carry, frankly a 3 inch group in a self defense situation (center mass) is not an issue. So you must find that balance that suits your needs. My Browning BDA, all my 1911's grouped so tight that 5 out of 7 rounds touched each other on the target, and my Glock is not that consistent. But to be honest I carry the Glock 21 exclusively for self defense. Reliability is the most important factor for me, and the Glock has proven itself in that venue. Several of my buddies have shot Law Enforcement comp with the Glocks and placed well, but they did have work done and improved barrels were used.

Well I hope this clears things up a little. Try a barrel first then go from there, I am planning on ordering a new Lone wolf Barrel soon, and I thinks one that's a full 5 inches this time will be my choice.

Looking to upgrade my factory Glock 23 barrel, and had a discussion with an Allegan County Sheriff Deputy whom I work with that he doesn't like Glocks due to them being inaccurate out of the box. He recommended that I try putting in a different barrel over the factory ones, and he said I would never go back to factory barrels again. So after a discussion on OC at work, I decided to take his advice. I've had my sidearm for a while now, why not upgrade it a little bit. If it tightens my groups as he stated, it's well worth it. Any recommendations? I don't have any issues with my groups now, however if a quick simple upgrade can improve them, why not right?

Carry On!

Glock214

No just an opinion and we all know that opinions are well worth the price charged......NOTHING lol.

But seriously no it's not anti anything, just an opinion and for the most part true, you have no idea what some of us have seen with LEO's and weapons. Imagine an officer in a large city like Detroit where an officer carries a weapon that literally is rusted so bad it's frozen solid? It has happened and that officer never cleaned it in years. This is why they now have standards that force qualifying with their weapons. Most officer are not unlike your typical 9 to 5 worker, they do their hours and go home. Yet some improve their craft.. Happens in every workplace in this country, we have those who know their jobs and those who could care less. if anyone doubts this just go to a typical store and ask questions, you have find most have not a clue and then you find one that is very knowledgeable.

I was talking about the post that said never ask an LEO about... This implies that ALL LEO are not knowledgeable which is anti-LEO and not true. The powers that be agree with you so be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
    No just an opinion and we all know that opinions are well worth the price charged......NOTHING lol.

But seriously no it's not anti anything, just an opinion and for the most part true, you have no idea what some of us have seen with LEO's and weapons. Imagine an officer in a large city like Detroit where an officer carries a weapon that literally is rusted so bad it's frozen solid? It has happened and that officer never cleaned it in years. This is why they now have standards that force qualifying with their weapons. Most officer are not unlike your typical 9 to 5 worker, they do their hours and go home. Yet some improve their craft.. Happens in every workplace in this country, we have those who know their jobs and those who could care less. if anyone doubts this just go to a typical store and ask questions, you have find most have not a clue and then you find one that is very knowledgeable.
    My reasons to OC
    7. Self defense

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    I would ask police questions about tactics, .
    Well there is not a need too either... the Army posts this information in the public domain online ...

And police really would not answer such queries anyway...they are like the KGB....

I was talking about the post that said never ask an LEO about... This implies that ALL LEO are not knowledgeable which is anti-LEO and not true. The powers that be agree with you so be happy.
    I would add a caveat, never ask a gun question of any LEO that you do not personally know has a superior working knowledge of firearms.

On the subject of Glocks, I don't care what anyone else says, I just plain don't like them. But that's my personal opinion.

What you have to remember with LEOs is, they may act like they know everything, when in reality, they likely only know somethings. But, like everyone else, they don't like to be shown up as possibly being ignorant as well. This applies to pretty much anyone.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Well there is not a need too either... the Army posts this information in the public domain online ...

And police really would not answer such queries anyway...they are like the KGB....

The common army tactics really aren't all that directly translatable into tactics used by civilians, which includes police.

Our most pressing concern in a life or death fight is extremely close distances with handguns. The army is all about taking and holding ground primarily with rifles and heavier weapons.

Police are considerably closer to having our needs since they primarily are armed with handguns unless expecting trouble, and generally get into fights at very close range.

While I generally agree about cops not wanting to talk about their departments training/tactics, I have found that many are willing to, and eagerly even offer to share their knowledge. It's not all that common, but it does happen.

So are you looking for a reliable sd pistol or a bullseye gun? You really cannot have both in one gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast