• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a suggestion on a new barrel for my Glock 23

Glock214

Looking to upgrade my factory Glock 23 barrel, and had a discussion with an Allegan County Sheriff Deputy whom I work with that he doesn't like Glocks due to them being inaccurate out of the box. He recommended that I try putting in a different barrel over the factory ones, and he said I would never go back to factory barrels again. So after a discussion on OC at work, I decided to take his advice. I've had my sidearm for a while now, why not upgrade it a little bit. If it tightens my groups as he stated, it's well worth it. Any recommendations? I don't have any issues with my groups now, however if a quick simple upgrade can improve them, why not right?

Carry On!

Glock214

autosurgeon

Yeah your friend is a goof. Factory glock barrels are plenty accurate. If you like shooting lead some people like lone wolf barrels as they have standard land and groove rifling instead of polygonal rifling. personally i have shot thousands of lead projectiles through a polygonal rifled barrel with no more leading than land and groove.

As for more accurate you are better served taking a few advanced pistol shooting classes than fooling with barrels.

WalkingWolf

I have never heard Glocks were inaccurate out of the box. They are though not designed to use lead ammo, and get lousy accuracy with lead bullets, not to mention possible kabooms. If you wish to use lead bullets then yes you should buy a button rifled barrel.

Glock214

That's what I thought, my groups are rather tight as it is, but I thought, he's a deputy sheriff, so he has to know guns. But thank you for all weighing in on my question. I appreciate it, and have decided after reading the responses to stick with my factory Glock as I have no issues with accuracy myself. Thanks to everyone. I thought I would get good honest opinions on here, and as, always I did.

Carry On!

Glock214

Raggs

I suspect there are a great many here who I would think no more about guns than a majority of police officers. My glock was pretty accurate out of the box.

That's what I thought, my groups are rather tight as it is, but I thought, he's a deputy sheriff, so he has to know guns. But thank you for all weighing in on my question. I appreciate it, and have decided after reading the responses to stick with my factory Glock as I have no issues with accuracy myself. Thanks to everyone. I thought I would get good honest opinions on here, and as, always I did.

Carry On!

Glock214

Michigander

I would ask police questions about tactics, especially if their department uses good ones. I would however almost never ask a cop about either gun mechanical specs or the law based on them being a cop.

Your Glock is already well more accurate than you will ever need it to be for defensive purposes. Bear in mind that it's a rarity in a defensive situation to have the chance to so much as use your sights. Hip shooting is the rule, not the exception when it comes to civilians defending themselves with handguns.

If your glock printed 30" groups at 25 yards out of a ransom rest that would still likely work just fine. That doesn't however change the fact that with jacketed ammo of any quality Glocks are essentially tack drivers.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Trying to get simunition to use it with is like well... :banghead:

Ah, make your own ! Its only laundry detergent with a little bit of polyvinyl alcohol as a binder I think. Or maybe just pressed detergent. You could likely use many biodegradable products too...

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Isn't this anti LEO? I would say it was, but I doubt that will matter.

No one said anything disparaging; they were just dispensing with advice that has proven itself over time. Some LEOs are knowledgeable about law AND firearms, some are not, and you may never know the difference until its too late.

The forums are filled with stories about LEOs that teach the legal portion of CPL classes, dispensing opinion as legal fact to a vulnerable group. Not every cop is a 'gun guy'. Just because I work on a PC all day does not qualify me as an expert on PCs; cops & guns, same thing.

You know what they call the guy who graduates at the bottom of his class at the police academy?

Last edited:

mark-in-texas

I got a 357 Sig barrel for my G23. Still uses the same mags. As far as shooting lead ammo in the factory barrel, it needs to be hard alloys.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Yeah your friend is a goof. Factory glock barrels are plenty accurate. If you like shooting lead some people like lone wolf barrels as they have standard land and groove rifling instead of polygonal rifling. personally i have shot thousands of lead projectiles through a polygonal rifled barrel with no more leading than land and groove.

As for more accurate you are better served taking a few advanced pistol shooting classes than fooling with barrels.

+1

Actually, Glocks are known to be exceptionally accurate just out of the box. I have an extra barrel for my G23 (.40sw)...a 9mm conversion barrel . My thought at the time was that at some point in the future .40sw would become hard to find. Boy, was I wrong... right now I can find plenty of .40sw and have seen very little 9mm as of late..

Last edited:

autosurgeon

I have never heard Glocks were inaccurate out of the box. They are though not designed to use lead ammo, and get lousy accuracy with lead bullets, not to mention possible kabooms. If you wish to use lead bullets then yes you should buy a button rifled barrel.

I beg to differ.. It is more about slugging the barrel and selecting the correct diameter bullets.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

alphamale

Your friend is not a "goof" and he probably has done competition shooting which frames his attitude toward the Glock. The Glock is made reliable first so accuracy can suffer as a result. For those of us who have shot National Competition the Glock lacks a little, and if you have shot a customized 1911 you will see a huge different in accuracy. Now what is accurate to one person may be inadequate to others. But saying all this, the Glock can be improved and a decent barrel will do such. You might get on the glock talk forums and see what is done to improve accuracy, but always keep in mind if you carry, reliability is paramount. I don't worry about cutting the same hole at 50 feet when I carry, frankly a 3 inch group in a self defense situation (center mass) is not an issue. So you must find that balance that suits your needs. My Browning BDA, all my 1911's grouped so tight that 5 out of 7 rounds touched each other on the target, and my Glock is not that consistent. But to be honest I carry the Glock 21 exclusively for self defense. Reliability is the most important factor for me, and the Glock has proven itself in that venue. Several of my buddies have shot Law Enforcement comp with the Glocks and placed well, but they did have work done and improved barrels were used.

Well I hope this clears things up a little. Try a barrel first then go from there, I am planning on ordering a new Lone wolf Barrel soon, and I thinks one that's a full 5 inches this time will be my choice.

Looking to upgrade my factory Glock 23 barrel, and had a discussion with an Allegan County Sheriff Deputy whom I work with that he doesn't like Glocks due to them being inaccurate out of the box. He recommended that I try putting in a different barrel over the factory ones, and he said I would never go back to factory barrels again. So after a discussion on OC at work, I decided to take his advice. I've had my sidearm for a while now, why not upgrade it a little bit. If it tightens my groups as he stated, it's well worth it. Any recommendations? I don't have any issues with my groups now, however if a quick simple upgrade can improve them, why not right?

Carry On!

Glock214

alphamale

No just an opinion and we all know that opinions are well worth the price charged......NOTHING lol.

But seriously no it's not anti anything, just an opinion and for the most part true, you have no idea what some of us have seen with LEO's and weapons. Imagine an officer in a large city like Detroit where an officer carries a weapon that literally is rusted so bad it's frozen solid? It has happened and that officer never cleaned it in years. This is why they now have standards that force qualifying with their weapons. Most officer are not unlike your typical 9 to 5 worker, they do their hours and go home. Yet some improve their craft.. Happens in every workplace in this country, we have those who know their jobs and those who could care less. if anyone doubts this just go to a typical store and ask questions, you have find most have not a clue and then you find one that is very knowledgeable.

Isn't this anti LEO? I would say it was, but I doubt that will matter.