• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a suggestion on a new barrel for my Glock 23

Raggs

I was talking about the post that said never ask an LEO about... This implies that ALL LEO are not knowledgeable which is anti-LEO and not true. The powers that be agree with you so be happy.

No just an opinion and we all know that opinions are well worth the price charged......NOTHING lol.

But seriously no it's not anti anything, just an opinion and for the most part true, you have no idea what some of us have seen with LEO's and weapons. Imagine an officer in a large city like Detroit where an officer carries a weapon that literally is rusted so bad it's frozen solid? It has happened and that officer never cleaned it in years. This is why they now have standards that force qualifying with their weapons. Most officer are not unlike your typical 9 to 5 worker, they do their hours and go home. Yet some improve their craft.. Happens in every workplace in this country, we have those who know their jobs and those who could care less. if anyone doubts this just go to a typical store and ask questions, you have find most have not a clue and then you find one that is very knowledgeable.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I was talking about the post that said never ask an LEO about... This implies that ALL LEO are not knowledgeable which is anti-LEO and not true. The powers that be agree with you so be happy.

I would add a caveat, never ask a gun question of any LEO that you do not personally know has a superior working knowledge of firearms.

On the subject of Glocks, I don't care what anyone else says, I just plain don't like them. But that's my personal opinion.

What you have to remember with LEOs is, they may act like they know everything, when in reality, they likely only know somethings. But, like everyone else, they don't like to be shown up as possibly being ignorant as well. This applies to pretty much anyone.

Michigander

Well there is not a need too either... the Army posts this information in the public domain online ...

And police really would not answer such queries anyway...they are like the KGB....

The common army tactics really aren't all that directly translatable into tactics used by civilians, which includes police.

Our most pressing concern in a life or death fight is extremely close distances with handguns. The army is all about taking and holding ground primarily with rifles and heavier weapons.

Police are considerably closer to having our needs since they primarily are armed with handguns unless expecting trouble, and generally get into fights at very close range.

While I generally agree about cops not wanting to talk about their departments training/tactics, I have found that many are willing to, and eagerly even offer to share their knowledge. It's not all that common, but it does happen.

autosurgeon

Yeah factory barrel flock 27 right? The fact is if you are good you are good.... Steve Fisher has proved time and again the gun the trigger the barrel none of these matter. What matters is the operator.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

ken243

Are your sights off? I have/had dozens of pistols, all fixed sights. Only one have I had to have the sight pushed to re-align. I currently own 4 Glocks. All will shoot sub 3" at 25 yards, including my 26. I spent the money on a Lone wolf match barrel for my G17 that I use for carry and IDPA. It turned out to be a waste of money. Same groupings I had with my factory barrel. Glocks are very accurate compared to LEO standards of 5" at 25 yards. They are no 1911 but for self defense you should be able to hit center mass on a silhouette at 21 feet all day long and twice on Sunday.

Bearhawk

Wolf Barrel experience

I bought a new Wolf barrel for my G23. It is in .40 S&W. I bought it to shoot lead bullets but never got that far. It's been back twice and needs to go back again because it has not worked right yet. It fails to lock up. At first the chamber was so tight that as it tried loading the factory round from the Glock mag it would bind when the round was about half way into the chamber. This was with two different types of Federal rounds and one type of Winchester factory rounds. I sent it back and when I got it back it still didn't lock up about every other round. It sat in my desk drawer for about a year because I was disgusted with it. I finally sent it back again a second time and they test fired it and made a youtube and it worked flawlessly for them. They polished it a bit more. When I got it back it doesn't lock up about 1 out of 5 rounds.

They have been good about working on it but the fact remains it doesn't lock up using factory mags. The gun has the stock springs in it. I am sick of paying to ship it back only to be disappointed again. It was a wasted $105.

Don't waste your money. I thought of buying their 40-9 conversion barrel but with the amount of trouble I've had with this one I won't waste my money again on a Wolf barrel. I don't feel like I want to sell a defective product to anyone either. I'll probably just take a dremel to it and fix it myself.

Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you.

WalkingWolf

I bought a new Wolf barrel for my G23. It is in .40 S&W. I bought it to shoot lead bullets but never got that far. It's been back twice and needs to go back again because it has not worked right yet. It fails to lock up. At first the chamber was so tight that as it tried loading the factory round from the Glock mag it would bind when the round was about half way into the chamber. This was with two different types of Federal rounds and one type of Winchester factory rounds. I sent it back and when I got it back it still didn't lock up about every other round. It sat in my desk drawer for about a year because I was disgusted with it. I finally sent it back again a second time and they test fired it and made a youtube and it worked flawlessly for them. They polished it a bit more. When I got it back it doesn't lock up about 1 out of 5 rounds.

They have been good about working on it but the fact remains it doesn't lock up using factory mags. The gun has the stock springs in it. I am sick of paying to ship it back only to be disappointed again. It was a wasted $105.

Don't waste your money. I thought of buying their 40-9 conversion barrel but with the amount of trouble I've had with this one I won't waste my money again on a Wolf barrel. I don't feel like I want to sell a defective product to anyone either. I'll probably just take a dremel to it and fix it myself.

Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you.

Try using a FCD for your ammo. I have had that problem on several guns, mostly lever actions, and my 1911, until running them through a factory crimp die. From what I heard Wolf barrels have very tight tolerances. Lead bullets are sized .001 oversize. Make sure any reloads the COL will allow the cartridge to chamber completely. Don't take a dremel to it, if necessary have a gunsmith run a .40 S&W reamer to factory specs.

Glock214

Are your sights off? I have/had dozens of pistols, all fixed sights. Only one have I had to have the sight pushed to re-align. I currently own 4 Glocks. All will shoot sub 3" at 25 yards, including my 26. I spent the money on a Lone wolf match barrel for my G17 that I use for carry and IDPA. It turned out to be a waste of money. Same groupings I had with my factory barrel. Glocks are very accurate compared to LEO standards of 5" at 25 yards. They are no 1911 but for self defense you should be able to hit center mass on a silhouette at 21 feet all day long and twice on Sunday.

I don't think my sights are off, I've never really noticed a problem. But I will look into that as well.

Glock214

So are you looking for a reliable sd pistol or a bullseye gun? You really cannot have both in one gun.

I'm more concerned with my Glock performing when it counts if I ever have a need to draw and use it for SD. It would be nice to have a bulls eye gun, however I would rather it be reliable. Chances are if the time ever comes that I need to use it for SD, sights probably won't be used as I'm told it's mostly hip shooting, and in those seconds you really may not have the chance to line up your sights. I am waiting for lasermax to come out with a internal laser for the gen 4 23. Then I would have that as well. Any thoughts about lasermax to improve accuracy?

SPOProds

Any thoughts about lasermax to improve accuracy?

IMHO spend the money on ammo or towards a training course.

Unless you can't see regular sights. Chasing a laser will make your reaction slower. Point shooting training and a good set of sights is a better investment. Just my .02

Michigander

IMHO spend the money on ammo or towards a training course.

Unless you can't see regular sights. Chasing a laser will make your reaction slower. Point shooting training and a good set of sights is a better investment. Just my .02

Indeed chasing a laser will make your reaction slower, that's why it can't be the backbone of your ability to shoot accurately.

So long as someone has mastered the fundamentals, which indeed a class or two would be good to help with, and the laser isn't used as the primary means of getting the muzzle on target, but as a supplemental method of ensuring better accuracy where and when it could be useful to the individual shooter, there is nothing wrong with it if they are preferred.

I personally don't have one, and think they are almost completely meaningless for my shooting style, like night sights. But again, if someone who has an effective skill set deems it worth while, there is nothing inherently wrong with that.

Last edited: