Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lobby Day 2013

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Lobby Day 2013

Estimates are between 750 and 1000 people.

This the group starting to gather!
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-21-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Merged and trimmed

Lobby Day

Estimates are between 750 and 1000 people.

This the group starting to gather!

Always looking for converts

Another Pro Gun Group!

The only Anti's I saw

Somehow I got two threads started. Mods, can you move one to the other.
    Sorry!

Done
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-21-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Merged threads

Had a great time! Most people were polite and very encouraging.

Had an interesting experience in Delegate Spruills office. Either him or his legislative assistant (and I think it was him--but I don't know him well enough to be 100% certain) covered his ears when he heard things he did not like and several times said "I don't care about the constitution". I don't know if it is legal to have covert videography, but it would have been nice for his constituents to hear that he does not care about the constitution.

This was in response to a conversation about firearms education. After hearing him blather on for a while about the difficulties of firearm education, my husband pointed to my five and seven year old and said that they know about safe firearm handling (and they do, appropriate knowledge for their age), he then covered his ears. When a person objected to the idea that one would have to take a class to own a gun because that is not constitutional, he said he did not care about the constitution.

I do not expect delegates to act worse than toddlers. I do not permit my toddler to cover his ears when he hears things he does not like.

Even with that it was a great experience. Looking forward to our next action.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MamabearCali View Post
    --snipped--
    I do not expect delegates to act worse than toddlers. I do not permit my toddler to cover his ears when he hears things he does not like.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I'm still transferring video over but I wanted to thank the BOD for the most successful lobby day in many years.
    Thanks to the EM's that did a lions share of the work also.

There were some problems with the C Police as usual, but nothing major.

Even without he Bell tower it was a slam dunk day and there is no way the Legislators could miss it.

There was a solid wave of GSL stickers everywhere you looked.

pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by MamabearCali View Post
    Had an interesting experience in Delegate Spruills office. Either him or his legislative assistant (and I think it was him--but I don't know him well enough to be 100% certain) covered his ears when he heard things he did not like and several times said "I don't care about the constitution". I don't know if it is legal to have covert videography, but it would have been nice for his constituents to hear that he does not care about the constitution.
    I must see this video. Wow....

Founder's Club Member
    It was a good day! I was glad to run across one person after another who had never attended before and seemed impresed with the whole affair.

I had a great time and am looking forward to next year. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I had a pretty easy line-up with the delegates. All except for Senator Puckett, I believe it was. He just couldn't wrap his mind around teachers carrying pistols into schools. We in the group all articulated our points very well in my opinion. But he said we could "agree to disagree". He did one other thing that annoys the crap out of me. He started his little anti speech with "I'm a member of the NRA and I own guns". As soon as someone starts with that crap, something anti 2a always follows.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I'm still transferring video over but I wanted to thank the BOD for the most successful lobby day in many years.
    Thanks to the EM's that did a lions share of the work also.

There were some problems with the C Police as usual, but nothing major.

Even without he Bell tower it was a slam dunk day and there is no way the Legislators could miss it.

There was a solid wave of GSL stickers everywhere you looked.
    Interesting thing when I entered the building. The officer checked my ID/CHP, and then proceed to wand me with the wand turned off. It never made a sound as it moved over my gun, ammo, voice recorder, or anything else. It was obvious what he was doing, and I thanked him for it. He didn't want to be wanding people who had a CHP and weren't a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowesmobile View Post
    I had a great time and am looking forward to next year. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I had a pretty easy line-up with the delegates. All except for Senator Puckett, I believe it was. He just couldn't wrap his mind around teachers carrying pistols into schools. We in the group all articulated our points very well in my opinion. But he said we could "agree to disagree". He did one other thing that annoys the crap out of me. He started his little anti speech with "I'm a member of the NRA and I own guns". As soon as someone starts with that crap, something anti 2a always follows.
    I recently had someone say this to me and so I said pardon me, but please show me your membership card. There was an amazing amount of hmming and hawing and finally an admission to not really being a member of the NRA.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    I recently had someone say this to me and so I said pardon me, but please show me your membership card. There was an amazing amount of hmming and hawing and finally an admission to not really being a member of the NRA.
    Now that is funny! - Will have to remember that response.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Does anyone know where Paul (skidmark) was today? I was expecting to see him, but I did not.
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

Re: Lobby Day

I took a coworkers down. Looks like this will be a standard event for us now. Maybe next year I will have a holster for my smith 629 :-)

I had it out with my rep who wants people in courts. I think it was clear what I thought of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post
    Does anyone know where Paul (skidmark) was today? I was expecting to see him, but I did not.
    Skid was just inside the main entrance check point.......watchin' the watchers watch us and handing out GSL stickers to anyone who made it that far w/o one. If you came in the CHP entrance, he was just around the corner to the right, hiding in plain sight.

Lobby Day

Aw man, I must have not seen him
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

Rats I missed him....was looking or him too!

Sorry y'all we did not have a camera. Would have been great if we did. There were tons of people though, so it would have been hard to film inconspicuously. Sadly we don't have those fancy smart phones yet around here.

Today was great although I really missed the rally.

My highlights of the day were multiple delegates both Democrat and Republican calling Joe Morrissey, a "nutcase", "loon", and my personal favorite "so insane he shouldn't be taken seriously."

Also hearing the fact that Delegate Hopes bill to ban guns from the GA building would fail, "Just because Hope put it in." cracked me up.

Glad to see everyone!
    Last edited by Jero1987; 01-21-2013 at 11:19 PM.

Did anyone get a chance to talk to senator ken alexander? I did the rounds with the group but had to leave after and didn't get a chance. If so, what happened?
    "Yes, I am carrying a loaded firearm. Why aren't you? "

Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post
    While using the ATV makes me mobile, it does take up quite a bit of space in the halls, and I need to go realllll slow if I do not want to scratch doors that are just barely ADA compliant with width requirements. It uses up almost half an elevator all by itself, so getting space to go up and down was, shall we say, exciting.

So, being the nice, considerate guy I was I made sure everybody coming in at least had the chance to refuse a GSL sticker. I actually went through about 3/4 of a roll just sitting there in front of the Capitol Police dummies. (No! Really! Manniquins of CP and their po-lice dog.)

As usual, I had a number of Capitol Police ask for GSL stickers. Don't care if they were serious or just hoping to make me run out. Also gave out GSL stickers to about 20 LEO from various departments (did not see Sheriff Clayton), some Colonel from the VaNG and mostly enlisted but also a few officers who were either Reserve or Regular Army. Another year not seeing any Air Force or Marines (nor their taxi drivers from the Navy).

I never did figure out what group/cause they were representing, but several times ladies "of a certain age" would come up in twos or threes and ask for stickers and just as they turned to go at least one would ask for one for her husband. A few said they were "going to make him wear it".

And y'all think you had fun!

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post

Having a special entrance for Permit holders casued them to have to wait in a long line outside, while I was able to walk in without issue and my firearm was never more than an arms length away.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast