• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lobby Day 2013

MamabearCali

Rats I missed him....was looking or him too!

Sorry y'all we did not have a camera. Would have been great if we did. There were tons of people though, so it would have been hard to film inconspicuously. Sadly we don't have those fancy smart phones yet around here.

Jero1987

Today was great although I really missed the rally.

My highlights of the day were multiple delegates both Democrat and Republican calling Joe Morrissey, a "nutcase", "loon", and my personal favorite "so insane he shouldn't be taken seriously."

Also hearing the fact that Delegate Hopes bill to ban guns from the GA building would fail, "Just because Hope put it in." cracked me up.

Glad to see everyone! :)

Last edited:

ryan7068

Did anyone get a chance to talk to senator ken alexander? I did the rounds with the group but had to leave after and didn't get a chance. If so, what happened?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Does anyone know where Paul (skidmark) was today? I was expecting to see him, but I did not. :(

While using the ATV makes me mobile, it does take up quite a bit of space in the halls, and I need to go realllll slow if I do not want to scratch doors that are just barely ADA compliant with width requirements. It uses up almost half an elevator all by itself, so getting space to go up and down was, shall we say, exciting.

So, being the nice, considerate guy I was I made sure everybody coming in at least had the chance to refuse a GSL sticker. I actually went through about 3/4 of a roll just sitting there in front of the Capitol Police dummies. (No! Really! Manniquins of CP and their po-lice dog.)

As usual, I had a number of Capitol Police ask for GSL stickers. Don't care if they were serious or just hoping to make me run out.:p Also gave out GSL stickers to about 20 LEO from various departments (did not see Sheriff Clayton:(), some Colonel from the VaNG and mostly enlisted but also a few officers who were either Reserve or Regular Army. Another year not seeing any Air Force or Marines (nor their taxi drivers from the Navy).

I never did figure out what group/cause they were representing, but several times ladies "of a certain age" would come up in twos or threes and ask for stickers and just as they turned to go at least one would ask for one for her husband. A few said they were "going to make him wear it".:banana:

And y'all think you had fun!

stay safe.

Marco

alob6_zps167b0bf0.jpg

Having a special entrance for Permit holders casued them to have to wait in a long line outside, while I was able to walk in without issue and my firearm was never more than an arms length away. :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Having a special entrance for Permit holders casued them to have to wait in a long line outside, while I was able to walk in without issue and my firearm was never more than an arms length away. :p

I carry mine on my hip and use the front door. :lol:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
We saw these people on our way out. We gave them all our GSL stickers and business cards and they will likely be joining VCDL. They were excited to talk to us.

Bruce found them, too (they left right as we did, about noon) and gave them a few more stickers. I was surprised they didn't know about Lobby Day, but I bet they will next year!

Toad

Founder's Club Member
...You know all of those legislators are going to think twice about voting for gun bans etc, knowing that we'll be out in full force to annoy them ;0).

Wishful thinking there. Most of the freedom hating politicians at the capital realize they only need to deal with the influx of angry constituents one day a year. The rest of the time it is business as usual because they know that the people will not be engaged for the rest of the time. This is realized by the fact that they keep winning re-election. They have nothing to worry about and never have to take responsibility for their actions; just pull the wool once a year and be done with it.

Face it, the majority of people in VA, or the US for that matter, don't even care to have a clue about what is going on in their government. However they will go to the polls and vote for the same anti-freedom idiot over and over because that is what they have always done. Monkeys in the cage really.

While lobby day is a great event to get your point of view in your Representatives face it can't be the only time of the year to do so. As with a young child, you must be consistent and apply proper direction year round to properly care for your Representative. People must remain fully engaged in the process at all times. I only hope that people take something from the event and force themselves to become a daily thorn in the side of another misguided Representative.

For those that don't know about monkeys in a cage:

Start with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the other monkeys with cold water. After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result – all the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon, when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it. Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm! Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth.

Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked. Most of the monkeys that are beating him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey.

After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana.

Why not?

Because as far as they know that’s the way it’s always been done.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wishful thinking there. Most of the freedom hating politicians at the capital realize they only need to deal with the influx of angry constituents one day a year. The rest of the time it is business as usual because they know that the people will not be engaged for the rest of the time. This is realized by the fact that they keep winning re-election. They have nothing to worry about and never have to take responsibility for their actions; just pull the wool once a year and be done with it.

Face it, the majority of people in VA, or the US for that matter, don't even care to have a clue about what is going on in their government.

--snip--

VCDL spends considerable time and resources not just at Lobby Day. There is a cadre of boots on the ground out there getting the job done day after day, frequently into the night.

Be part of the solution - get involved. We are winning inspite of the efforts of those that either will not trust the people or who are opposed to freedom.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Be part of the solution - get involved. ....

This.

If you cannot go to see your Delegate/Senator, call their office. Send them an email.

Most of the time you will get a legislative aide on the other end of the phone. Listen to their name and use it. Tell them who you are and gibve them your address, phone number, and email address. Tell them you want Del/Sen X to vote [FOR] or [AGAINST] a specific bill (use the bill number). That's all you need to say, except that you would appreciate the Del/Sen getting back to you on how they voted. Don't expect to get into long philosophical discussions. If you call often enough they probably will recognize your voice. They might even start off by saying "I guess you are calling about [bill number]."

Both the Delegate and the Senator in my districts are about as anti-gun as you can get. That does not stop me from sending them at least one email a week (not counting anything that comes from VCDL, JPFO, GOA, SAF, CCRKBA, etc.) and a phone call at least every other week when the GA is not in session. When the GA is in session I phone them separately on each bill (if I go over my minutes on my Obamaphone I can call up and get more for free!).

And I'm not an activist. You should see what those folks do!

stay safe.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Face it, the majority of people in VA, or the US for that matter, don't even care to have a clue about what is going on in their government. However they will go to the polls and vote for the same anti-freedom idiot over and over because that is what they have always done. Monkeys in the cage really.

I am amazed every year at Lobby Day at the people who show up with us who don't know who their Senator/Delegate is.

I think after one experience with us, they don't make that mistake again, so it's a learning experience. But there are always a few. The effort is never-ending.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
And you totally didn't even recognize me. After all we've 'been through' together.

That hurt. :lol:

It's not hard to forget what you look like Wylde. I keep expecting someone in full armor, broad sword and battle ax.:lol:

wylde007

It's not hard to forget what you look like Wylde. I keep expecting someone in full armor, broad sword and battle ax.:lol:
I take that as an immense compliment.

I got my hair cut over New Years. Like, all of it.

I was almost sure you walked right past me on Broad Street before me and my cohort turned into T.Miller's for lunch.

ryan7068

My cherry was popped this year and I was in awe! Went to the RCD and they had a very cool menu selection. I believe I was in one of the biggest groups, must of been 20 plus. The aides that we did talk to seem about as receptive as a politician can be. It was all around just great to see the people that make the laws and interact with them or their aide. If possible, I will certainly go next year. Maybe with a more in depth plan and a little more proactive.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My cherry was popped this year and I was in awe! Went to the RCD and they had a very cool menu selection. I believe I was in one of the biggest groups, must of been 20 plus. The aides that we did talk to seem about as receptive as a politician can be. It was all around just great to see the people that make the laws and interact with them or their aide. If possible, I will certainly go next year. Maybe with a more in depth plan and a little more proactive.

At one point at RCD I counted 48 in our litle group. :)