Thread: how best to report spammers?

how best to report spammers?

Is it sufficient to report one of the posts by a spammer, or do they all need to be tagged?
    I'm thinking of these repeated multiple posts by the electronics jerks.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Is it sufficient to report one of the posts by a spammer, or do they all need to be tagged?
    I'm thinking of these repeated multiple posts by the electronics jerks.
    Report each one as you find them using the triangle exclamation point. Might seem redundant, but it is possible for new spam to be posted before a block is completed.

Also consider a reply on the thread to indicate you have reported the violation to help reduce multiple reports of the same thing.

There really isn't nearly as much spam getting through as there was at one time thanks to CloudFlare and individual attention of users like you. Thanks.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-22-2013 at 10:09 AM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    I disagree with replying to the thread. It bumps it and starts discussions keeping the spam thread going.

One of the great things about this site is that spam threads are almost NEVER responded to. Let's don't change that!

Founder's Club Member
    How best to report spammers?

Just steer them to hamburger. Its much better than luncheon meat.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    How best to report spammers?

Just steer them to hamburger. Its much better than luncheon meat.

That hurt.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I have sent a PM to John with an idea for disabling posts that are reported (for any reason) until an administrative decision is reached regarding what to do. The idea was to prevent a flood of reports being made, which still ups the view count. Also to stop the "+1" comments when someone posts that they have reported the original post.

If it can be done, and if it will be done if possible, remain to be seen.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Almost all of the spam I have seen is coming from one company.

The admins just need to report them and they should be taken down.

Their registrar is register.com and I think their host is weebly.com.

This assumes that this isn't being done by a competitor of theirs to cause them flack.

direct-saleslimited.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> @localhost direct-saleslimited.com NS ; (2 servers found) ;; global options: printcmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 17559 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;direct-saleslimited.com. IN NS ;; ANSWER SECTION: direct-saleslimited.com. 2364 IN NS dns142.c.register.com. direct-saleslimited.com. 2364 IN NS dns198.b.register.com. direct-saleslimited.com. 2364 IN NS dns082.d.register.com. direct-saleslimited.com. 2364 IN NS dns137.a.register.com. ;; Query time: 1 msec ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1) ;; WHEN: Tue Jan 29 15:41:17 2013 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 142

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> @localhost direct-saleslimited.com A ; (2 servers found) ;; global options: printcmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 22448 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0 ;; QUESTION SECTION: ;direct-saleslimited.com. IN A ;; ANSWER SECTION: direct-saleslimited.com. 2284 IN A 199.34.228.100 ;; Query time: 0 msec ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1) ;; WHEN: Tue Jan 29 15:42:04 2013 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 57
    The IP of 199.34.228.100 goes to Weebly.com

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE2536-ARIN
    OrgAbuseName: Abuse
    OrgAbusePhone: +1-415-375-3268
    OrgAbuseEmail:
    OrgAbuseRef: http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ABUSE2536-ARIN

http://www.weebly.com/abuse.php
    http://www.weebly.com/spam.php

I should add that they are known to spam from IP's 63.141.237.105 and 79.143.179.42.
    http://www.stopforumspam.com/search

If you search the company name you will see forum after forum spammed. Since I am not an admin on this site I can not verify the spam truly originates from them and not an evil competitor.
    Last edited by sharkey; 01-29-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Freaking Tab Froze. errrgh firefox.
    "Public opinion and votes have nothing to do with this. The challenge of the Court is not what they're going to do with votes. The challenge-- of the Court is are they going to protect people's rights." - Al Sharpton

I report them but do not reply to the thread.

I generally only report one of the posts although sometimes there are a few.

Should one report all of the threads?

Should we reply to the post?

:applause: ------> Sharkey

Quote Originally Posted by pfries
    I report them but do not reply to the thread.
    I generally only report one of the posts although sometimes there are a few.
    Should one report all of the threads?
    Should we reply to the post?
    See posts #1 & 2... Grapeshot says it'd be a good idea to report each one, & whoever the first person to do it is, they should simply say that it's been reported so there aren't a flood of reports for the admins to deal with.

I understand not giving the spammers attention, but I think it's a fair compromise & will take work off the admins.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    :applause: ------> Sharkey

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12793106-shy-emoticon.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	9934
    "Public opinion and votes have nothing to do with this. The challenge of the Court is not what they're going to do with votes. The challenge-- of the Court is are they going to protect people's rights." - Al Sharpton

After more research I'm sure the spammer is the same company that is linked. They don't even really sell anything, it appears to be a harvesting website.

Can't admin simply block all posts with direct-saleslimited.com?

Great thread! I've reported the most recent spammer(s) to Grapeshot, and mentioned this thread to John Pierce for his input.

Great info sharkey!

The IPs we have seen over the last month cover the globe from Canada to LA to Singapore to Anonymous proxies.

John

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    Almost all of the spam I have seen is coming from one company.

The admins just need to report them and they should be taken down.

Their registrar is register.com and I think their host is weebly.com.

This assumes that this isn't being done by a competitor of theirs to cause them flack.

direct-saleslimited.com

The IP of 199.34.228.100 goes to Weebly.com

OrgAbuseHandle: ABUSE2536-ARIN
    OrgAbuseName: Abuse
    OrgAbusePhone: +1-415-375-3268
    OrgAbuseEmail:
    OrgAbuseRef: http://whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ABUSE2536-ARIN

http://www.weebly.com/abuse.php
    http://www.weebly.com/spam.php

I should add that they are known to spam from IP's 63.141.237.105 and 79.143.179.42.
    http://www.stopforumspam.com/search

If you search the company name you will see forum after forum spammed. Since I am not an admin on this site I can not verify the spam truly originates from them and not an evil competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by John Pierce View Post
    The IPs we have seen over the last month cover the globe from Canada to LA to Singapore to Anonymous proxies.

John
    Is there anyway to block any post with "direct-saleslimited.com" in it?

Or maybe this would help? I just did a cursory review, I don't use vbulletin.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042

ETA. Have you reported them to their host?
    Last edited by sharkey; 02-06-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Pierce View Post

John
    I use this on another vbulletin forum and it does a good job at blocking the spammers from registering:

http://www.stopforumspam.com/

vb =
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042

How it Works
    This data responsible for blocking user registrations comes from the stopforumspam.com (SFS) spammer database. After the user who is trying to register passes the built-in vBulletin registration checks which you have configured in your vBulletin settings, SOM then checks the SFS database to see if the IP, username, or email address that the user is trying to register with has been recently tagged as a known spam source on other forums around the Internet. Also can be configured to check the Akismet service for known comment spam.
    HTH
    Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the Government's purposes are beneficent.
    Louis Dembitz Brandeis