• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idiot girl on cops....

EMNofSeattle

So I was watching COPS re-runs, and I saw a clip from Brevard County in Florida. so I'm going to see if I can find the video to link here but here's the description.

teenage girl pulled over for speeding by Deputy, the Deputy asks where she's going, she gives out a destination that apparently is out of the way from where she is, after he grills her on that he asks for her license, so he looks at her license and then gives her a warning for speed. pretty normal stop at this point...

now I want you to get yourselves ready, take a moment, drink a can of coke, and get something to eat, and make some popcorn for the next part

The Deputy tells her that she is free to leave at that moment and doesn't need to do anything further, she can go, he asks her "but can I search your car"?

She says.....

Yes...

:banghead::cuss::shocker::eek::rolleyes::question::idea::exclaim:

he finds a thing of crack, she goes to jail on felony charges all while crying some type of babbling incomprehensible stuff about how some friend left it there....

moral of the story.... if you're told you're free to go... GO! but i know i'm preaching to the choir here, i'll try to find a video of it, but it'll be a needle in a haystack search

EMNofSeattle

people convict themselves all the time.

I know, I just haven't quite seen one like that, someone is told they're free to go, they know they have contraband, and then consent to a search.

I mean I've seen the videos in which someone who doesn't know their rights consents, i've seen one in which the officer has a clever double talk that talks someone into consent, never have I seen "you have the right to leave, now can i search" and someone allows the search knowing they would go to jail for it. I mean that's just the next level of wierd.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I know, I just haven't quite seen one like that, someone is told they're free to go, they know they have contraband, and then consent to a search.

I mean I've seen the videos in which someone who doesn't know their rights consents, i've seen one in which the officer has a clever double talk that talks someone into consent, never have I seen "you have the right to leave, now can i search" and someone allows the search knowing they would go to jail for it. I mean that's just the next level of wierd.

There are court cases that discuss the ability of people to exert their will while also being intimidated by the mere presence of the cop--the representative of the all-powerful state and all that. From what I've read, the courts are willing to avoid giving but so much credit to the effect the mere investigative presence of a cop has on people. The courts basically support the state and the cops. At least to a certain extent, they do.

In fact, the whole reason the cop waits until after he tells the person he/she is free to go is because of the case law to this point. I don't think the case law actually says the cop has to wait; I think the cops are trying to pre-empt a later claim that the consent wasn't voluntary because the cop was intimidating or what have you.

I and at least one other forum member regularly follow a legal blog: www.fourthamendment.com I've seen this aspect of Fourth Amendment law discussed a number of times in case excerpts posted on this blog.

You could try googling "court case police voluntary consent" to find out more.

Last edited:

spacecoast321

So I was watching COPS re-runs, and I saw a clip from Brevard County in Florida.

The Deputy tells her that she is free to leave at that moment and doesn't need to do anything further, she can go, he asks her "but can I search your car"?

She says.....

Yes...

I live in Brevard County and have shopped at the Target store in Merritt Island where the stop occurred. I brought all my kids together and replayed that segment of the show. I explained the moment an officer returns your drivers license (and ticket if issued) the stop is over. They should say nothing further and LEAVE!
I also pointed out that not hanging out with druggies, not being seen leaving known drug houses and not possessing drugs would also help.

We can also use the same knowledge when dealing with LEOs that may object to our exercising 2A rights. Be polite (regardless of their attitude), say as little as possible and leave as soon as possible. Exactly how that works out will vary by situation. It has taken me many years of reading to educate myself on the rights and responsibilities I have interacting with LEOs. Hopefully I have given my kids a head start.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

...wouldn't be the first time a 'reality' show, staged something.

I don't think they would have to stage that if you ever were in law enforcement you would see people doing stuip things like that all the time.

It is amazing how many times people with illegal items in their vehicle give permission to search.

LEOs are trained to get permission and there are some that are very good at it.

A simple no thank you or no you can not search and leaveing works well.

The longer you talk with them the more likely they will convince you that a search is in your best interist.

Freedom1Man

F752F6D9763026141BF65AFBEB2710_h316_w628_m5_cXIGCwzYg.jpg
I don't think they would have to stage that if you ever were in law enforcement you would see people doing stuip things like that all the time.

It is amazing how many times people with illegal items in their vehicle give permission to search.

LEOs are trained to get permission and there are some that are very good at it.

A simple no thank you or no you can not search and leaveing works well.

The longer you talk with them the more likely they will convince you that a search is in your best interist.

Cops are just as guilty.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I just paraphrase many state supreme court opinions on this matter and say:

"what, you gonna find any more evidence of me speeding in my glove box? Move along."

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Code:
I just paraphrase many state supreme court opinions on this matter and say:

"what, you gonna find any more evidence of me speeding in my glove box? Move along."

:)

Or, "The 'droids you are looking for are not in the glove box."

(No, don't say any of that. Just say something polite and be on your way.)

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
"Sir, I have too much respect for the law to allow an unlawful search..."