• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traveling to Federal Way, want to OC

handsomrob

Hey everybody, I'm going up to see a friend of mine in Federal Way to help him make a decision on his first handgun next moday and I want to carry, but don't have a Washington CPL so open carry is my only option. What do I need to know about Washington law regarding open carry? I've done some research, found out I can't carry loaded in my vehicle:( but seems that I can be loaded everywhere outside of a vehicle, other than that it doesn't seem any different than Oregon open carry? Also wanted some opinions on open carry with an IWB holster.

BTW I carry as much as my work allows in Oregon so carrying is not new to me.

Jeff Hayes

Other than in or on a vehicle you can OC anywhere you can CC. Schools, bars, post offices, federal buildings, the secure parts of airports, police stations, jails and mental institutions are off limits. If you are asked to leave a business simply do so or you could be charged with trespass.

Have fun OC is generally not a problem in Washington.

Keep in mind the 1000' federal school zone laws, I think this will be something we will see being enforced in the near future.

I used to OC in an IWB holster all the time, if you can see it it is OC.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Make sure your gun is unloaded when you get back in the car. You say you have an IWB, does it have any type of retention? Not legally required, but I would never OC without level II or better. When, and where are you going? Some of the locals may be willing to do a meet, and greet.

handsomrob

Thanks Orphan and golddigger, I appreciate it. I'm familiar with most of what you listed since it is the same in Oregon. Bars are new to the list, but i don't drink so not an issue.

The holster is similar to a crossbreed supertuck, leather backing with kydex. I think I'll just switch to a different gun. I have a thumb break holster and I am comfortable using it, just doesn't work with my XD which is what I prefer to carry. I agree with you golddigger, I am much more comfortable having some sort of active retention with open carry. Jan 27 & 28, not sure where though... Know of any good ranges in the area that rent firearms? We were thinking about Federal Way Discount Guns, since it's right next to where he lives.