Thread: whats the law in franklin county

whats the law in franklin county

I want to open carry my pistol atleast until I get my ccw so what are the open carry laws in franklin county? Where can i find the laws for each towm as well? Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by dakota1820 View Post
    I want to open carry my pistol atleast until I get my ccw so what are the open carry laws in franklin county? Where can i find the laws for each towm as well? Thanks guys.
    You have to check the laws in each municipality you want to open carry in. The unincorporated Franklin County has no laws prohibiting Open carry.

The cities... You must check the local laws at the City Halls to be sure, and these can change.

Never, never ask a police officer if OC is "legal", they are more likely to give their opinion then to quote the laws..

Some municipalities may even require a CCW to OC, be careful, do not get in trouble!!! Especially NOW!!!!
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

I live in Saint Clair but in frequently in Washington in Union Missouri and I cannot find any laws and any of those towns as far as open carry goes they make this kind of hard I guess so people don't do it

i see no prohibition of OC in Washington, MO. reference Section 210.050

http://z2codes.sullivanpublications....=washingtonset

Union, MO also looks good to go. reference Section 215.380

http://z2codes.sullivanpublications....owset=unionset

St. Clair, MO does not look so cut and dried, but it doesn't specifically prohibit OC in so many words.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=14658

Sec. 16-7. - Concealed weapons.
    Any person who shall carry concealed on or about his person any firearm, bowie knife, dirk, dagger, razor, slungshot, metal knuckles or other dangerous weapons of any kind or who shall flourish any pistol, or other firearm or any other deadly weapon within the city shall be deemed guilty of an offense; this section shall not apply to any peace officer in the discharge of his duties.

(Ord. No. 102, § 4, 12-1-30)

State law reference— Dangerous and concealed weapons, RSMo 571.030.
    then again the reference to RSMo 571.030 could be your savior. but IANAL.

in summary it would appear that you are good to go for the most part legally. will you get any guff from LEO? that remains to be seen.
    I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Broondog View Post
    i see no prohibition of OC in Washington, MO. reference Section 210.050

http://z2codes.sullivanpublications....=washingtonset

Union, MO also looks good to go. reference Section 215.380

http://z2codes.sullivanpublications....owset=unionset

St. Clair, MO does not look so cut and dried, but it doesn't specifically prohibit OC in so many words.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=14658

then again the reference to RSMo 571.030 could be your savior. but IANAL.

in summary it would appear that you are good to go for the most part legally. will you get any guff from LEO? that remains to be seen.
    What does ianal and leo mean?

So is it legal to carry in a store openly or any place of business other than the obvious no no's

What does ianal and leo mean?
    IANAL = i am not a lawyer. hence don't take my advice as legal gospel. while the links i provided appear to show the relevant information, laws are fluid and codes may not be updated regularly. telling a cop that Broondog said it was OK to carry will not get you far and i can't help you if you are charged with a crime.

LEO = law enforcement officer.

So is it legal to carry in a store openly or any place of business other than the obvious no no's
    every store has its own policies regarding such things as is their right as property owners. some choose to not allow legal carry while others will follow local laws regarding firearm carry. that sort of thing you must research yourself.

you may however find relevant posts of carry experiences in stores you may frequent here on the board by using the search function.
    Last edited by Broondog; 01-22-2013 at 12:44 AM.
    I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

It is perfectly legal to open carry any place it is not permitted or posted or where you are asked to leave in Missouri.
    The Missouri laws do not prohibit OC, it's a right. Local laws do not have to allow it, like other freedoms granted by our constitution, you are free to exercise those rights.
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

So is it legal to oc loaded? I know common sense says carrying an unloaded gun is dumb but you never know anymore

Quote Originally Posted by mspgunner View Post
    It is perfectly legal to open carry any place it is not permitted or posted or where you are asked to leave in Missouri.
    The Missouri laws do not prohibit OC, it's a right. Local laws do not have to allow it, like other freedoms granted by our constitution, you are free to exercise those rights.
    ^^
    This.

Dakota1820.....just remember, laws are designed to restrict. In MO, it is our right to OC...therefore, open carrying is ok, unless restricted by another law. Unfortunately, our state constitution allows a municipality to 'restrict' that right. Even if the muni allows OC with a CCW, they are restricting the populous to only OC WITH a CCW. The sad part is there are forces within our state who would prefer you NOT to exercise your right...however, they won't follow the law, they will use their position and badge to tell you differently.

Subsequently, it is up to you to know what the laws are in your area and be prepared to encounter those who do not 'approve' of you exercising your right. It is called education. Most folks who OC have learned through the interweb and other various ways of research to further their understanding of their right.

I applaud you for asking and inquiring; however, an internet forum is not always right, unless OC for Me is stating it (OC, remember you're my hero! ). There is a lot of good info here....although, there is a lot of hearsay info, too. Therefore, it is still up to you to research the various areas you plan to traverse to understand their laws. The links above are a great place to start. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions here either.....just remember, verify before you rely on their opinions.

Thanks again for participating in the forum and practicing your R2KBA (Right To Keep & Bear Arms).
    Last edited by Redbaron007; 01-22-2013 at 08:51 AM.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    ^^
    This.

Dakota1820.....just remember, laws are designed to restrict. In MO, it is our right to OC...therefore, open carrying is ok, unless restricted by another law. Unfortunately, our state constitution allows a municipality to 'restrict' that right. Even if the muni allows OC with a CCW, they are restricting the populous to only OC WITH a CCW. The sad part is there are forces within our state who would prefer you NOT to exercise your right...however, they won't follow the law, they will use their position and badge to tell you differently.

Subsequently, it is up to you to know what the laws are in your area and be prepared to encounter those who do not 'approve' of you exercising your right. It is called education. Most folks who OC have learned through the interweb and other various ways of research to further their understanding of their right.

I applaud you for asking and inquiring; however, an internet forum is not always right, unless OC for Me is stating it (OC, remember you're my hero! ). There is a lot of good info here....although, there is a lot of hearsay info, too. Therefore, it is still up to you to research the various areas you plan to traverse to understand their laws. The links above are a great place to start. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions here either.....just remember, verify before you rely on their opinions.

Thanks again for participating in the forum and practicing your R2KBA (Right To Keep & Bear Arms).
    Uh, incorrect, RSMo 21.750.3 is what permits a political subdivision to restrict OC. Always be the "adult in the room" whenever you encounter LE. Follow the law and exercise your rights.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by mspgunner View Post
    sweet! i can carry everywhere now!

oh wait, you got bail money?

Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Uh, incorrect, RSMo 21.750.3 is what permits a political subdivision to restrict OC. Always be the "adult in the room" whenever you encounter LE. Follow the law and exercise your rights.
    My bad...you are correct...as always.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Redbaron007 View Post
    My bad...you are correct...as always.
    Not always, but, I humbly accept your kind compliment.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Raising an old thread. heading back home for a visit soon. Looks like Washington is still good. Union though after reading the law seems it is no good. Reading this SECTION 215.373 Number 6 of the Letter A is the issue. 1 and 7 get a free pass with a CCW but it does not mention 6 which is open carry. Thoughts?

No OC in Union. You are correct.

Accomplished Advocate
    Union is currently confused over the issue, last year when noted they were not enforcing it and stated as much as well as intent to remove it from their code. This year however they are going to enforce it and leave it in the code.

Standard issue dumbass politicians acting like do gooders and ultimatly simply proving out that they are power hungry scumbags and the last thing they want to do is release any tiny bit m=of power they seem to believe they have while trying to establish themselves as the ruling class.

most of them likely got their asses kicked while in grammar school and remain scared of their own shadow.

Tell you how I really feel later.
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."