• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Off duty LEOs can't carry at CLink.

Flopsweat

I'd like to publicly thank Mr. Wickman explaining why I carry:

That explanation isn't good enough for Wickman.

"The reality is you can have all the uniformed officers you want, but the criminals will be able to identify them and avoid the areas where they are," he said.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I believe the decision does not enhance public safety, but it is consistent. The policy avoids creating a privileged class.

I would like to believe this. Especially in the face of

CenturyLink management has decided that off-duty officers going to events at CenturyLink as fans can no longer bring guns through the gates.

That move isn't sitting well with many officers, who say bringing their weapons to events while off duty is part of their job to protect and serve, even as spectators.

which brings out my second-most-favorite rant: off-duty cops being "on duty" 24/7.

Best way to find out if a cop is "off duty" is to ask your state worker's compensation board how they would handle a claim when a cop, while "off duty" jumped in and began waving their badge around. They (WC boards) do like specific scenarios so they can address the various issues in play. I have a nice, crisp Federal Reserve Note saying that an "off-duty" cop at a ball game (or any other entertainment venue) that whipped out and started waving their badge until they got hurt would be told, bottom line, that they were not on the clock and therefore should have called 9-1-1 just like any other good citizen.

OTOH, many LEAs have written policy requiring sworn employees to carry (either their duty weapon or an approved alternative) while off duty. Most of the policies I have read (about 100 or so) address personal/officer safety, and are completely silent on the question of an "off-duty" LEO suddenly going back on the clock when they witness a crime in progress. (Yes, sworn officers have the authority to enforce all local laws locally, and usually all state laws statewide. At best that eliminates the worst of the pitfalls of making a citizen's arrest, but does not make them "on-duty" 24/7.)

If the cops are saying they must comply with department policy to carry 24/7 then they are SOL, as I have another crisp, new Federal Reserve Note that says there is no department policy that says they must attend a ball game as a fan.

stay safe.

Last edited:

LarryM

CenturyLink? Mediocre service all the way around and now they're jumping on the anti bandwagon? :lol::lol::lol:

What a joke...

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
"We currently have an abundance of uniformed police officers working every event at the stadium and we feel that CenturyLink Field is perhaps one of the safest venues ...".................That explanation isn't good enough for Wickman. [cool, you try this excuse while being 'trespassed']

The change comes after two unarmed and off-duty Bellevue Police officers were kicked out of the stadium last season for unruly behavior. [do you think their conduct had anything to do with it?]

"I guess my first thought is that they should be required to do whatever the average citizen can do, and if the average citizen isn't allowed to take a concealed weapon in then I'm not sure police officers should be either," [Whats good for the goose, is good for the gander.]

Bottom line.....No weapon, No money. I will go elsewhere.