Thread: Just got my Michigan CPL

Just got my Michigan CPL

After four months of hard work and close to $300 dollars in miscellaneous fees as of today I am the new proud owner of a Michigan state CPL! I had my gun board last week and it was no big deal. I was in and out in about 20 minutes. There was a brief discussion from one person on the board who was concerned I did not yet meet the required six months of established residency but the other three board members stuck up for me quoting a exception for people with previous CPLs.

I walked into the county clerks office today and they laminated my new CPL in front of me. As much as a hassle as this process was at time I am thrilled now that I have it. Even though I am a huge open carry advocate I have been unable to carry at all the last week or two due to the weather for me being in the single digits. Like it or not there are some parts of the year when you are forced to cover up. That with the benefit of being able to carry in my vehicle and I am happy, happy to get back to a normal life where I no longer have to leave my gun at home.

This was a expensive CPL to get but in terms of reciprocity it is also one of the best one in the country. It will definitely open up a lot of doors when traveling. I have kept you all updated to this point so I just wanted to share the good news with everyone!
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

Congratulations on your CPL. Just some advice, keep rereading the laws for CC and OC with a CPL to avoid getting jammed up. I am sure if you have any questions many here will respond.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

Re: Just got my Michigan CPL

Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    Congratulations on your CPL. Just some advice, keep rereading the laws for CC and OC with a CPL to avoid getting jammed up. I am sure if you have any questions many here will respond.
    Definitely I am not done learning but this is good motivation to keep studying

Congratulations on your CPl.

Cool

MI CPL 356,820 strong and growing you are in good company ;-)

states where you are good to go from http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Now National Reciprocity needs to be next :-)
    Last edited by Sheldon; 01-29-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fire suppressor View Post
    Definitely I am not done learning but this is good motivation to keep studying
    Great job on getting your CPL!!!

I had to renew mine this morning. It only took about 30 minutes. Hopefully, I receive it before my current one expires.

Quote Originally Posted by cm2624 View Post
    I had to renew mine this morning. It only took about 30 minutes. Hopefully, I receive it before my current one expires.
    Good to know the renewal process is easier

Thumbs up

Good to know the renewal process is easier
    Yeah my first renewals were almost as bad as the original license, file paperwork pay fee, several weeks later sent notice of meeting, go to meeting, stand before gun board, swear that my statements were true and nothing had changed, get permit, pay 2 bucks to seal it in plastic.... 2 hours later go home...

Now it's go fill the paperwork, pay the fee, get fingerprinted, (they take the photo now too), 15 minutes later go home and in a few weeks it shows in the mail.
    Last edited by Sheldon; 02-12-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    Yeah my first renewals were almost as bad as the original license, file paperwork pay fee, several weeks later sent notice of meeting, go to meeting, stand before gun board, swear that my statements were true and nothing had changed, get permit, pay 2 bucks to seal it in plastic.... 2 hours later go home...

Now it's go fill the paperwork, pay the fee, get fingerprinted, (they take the photo now too), 15 minutes later go home and in a few weeks it shows in the mail.
    You have to get fingerprinted again!? They are already on file and they do not change. Must just be another way to make money

you only have to be finger printed again if the first time was on the paper finger print card. If you were fringer printed electronically no need to be re finger printed

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    You have to get fingerprinted again!? They are already on file and they do not change. Must just be another way to make money
    They can change, like cuts, burns, amputations, etc.... But they did change the law where you only need it done once.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by mirussell View Post
    you only have to be finger printed again if the first time was on the paper finger print card. If you were fringer printed electronically no need to be re finger printed
    All renewals in Calhoun County you go for the electronic fingerprint, PERIOD, same building, 3 minutes travel on foot. It's part of the background check which they do each renewall....

Took my son last fall to renew his, n yep he had to get fingerprinted... no additional fees is involved...

I'm betting it's not just here either.... Once you do that you return to the clerk and give them the completed form and in about 2 weeks you check your mail...
    Last edited by Sheldon; 02-13-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Just received my new CPL in the mail yesterday. I am relieved I got it before my current one expires.

Just got my Michigan CPL

Quote Originally Posted by cm2624 View Post
    Just received my new CPL in the mail yesterday. I am relieved I got it before my current one expires.
    Your new one shouldn't take effect until the day after your old one expires, right?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Your new one shouldn't take effect until the day after your old one expires, right?
    You are correct. I was worried because the old one had the 180 day extension starting almost 2 weeks after my birthday and was told that I could not conceal carry during that time period. I did not want to go even one day without my CPL. Next time I will renew it sooner then I did this time. I just looked at my CPL and the issue date is on my birthday this year and the expiration is 5 years later on my birthday. I guess I will continue to also carry the old one for a few days after the issue date of the new one, just to be safe.
    Last edited by cm2624; 03-15-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    All renewals in Calhoun County you go for the electronic fingerprint, PERIOD, same building, 3 minutes travel on foot. It's part of the background check which they do each renewall....

Took my son last fall to renew his, n yep he had to get fingerprinted... no additional fees is involved...

I'm betting it's not just here either.... Once you do that you return to the clerk and give them the completed form and in about 2 weeks you check your mail...
    this is from the msp site

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7...0955--,00.html

Beginning January 1, 2007, an applicant who is applying for a renewal of a license is not required to have fingerprints taken again if the applicant's fingerprints have been submitted to and maintained by the Department of State Police for on-going comparison with the automated fingerprint comparison system. The Department of State Police began storing applicant fingerprints on January 1, 2006. Therefore, an applicant is not exempt from this requirement unless the last time fingerprints were submitted was after January 1, 2006.