Thread: Concealed Carry In Your Own Place Of Business

Concealed Carry In Your Own Place Of Business

Hello,

After doing a lot of research on this forum and reading the Maine laws I have come to the following conclusion and would like to make sure I am understanding everything correctly.

1. Am I correct in believing that I am legally allowed to Conceal Carry INSIDE My own house as I walk around.

and

2. Am i correct in believing that I am legally allowed to Conceal Carry INSIDE my own business? I own the Retail Business but I am renting the building space. The renter has no information in the lease about guns, and there are no signs posted around the building. Its basically a strip mall type building, 4 businesses in all, which all have exterior doors.

Tank you.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-23-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Fixed title

Quote Originally Posted by madfrenchie View Post
    Hello,

After doing a lot of research on this forum and reading the Maine laws I have come to the following conclusion and would like to make sure I am understanding everything correctly.

1. Am I correct in believing that I am legally allowed to Conceal Carry INSIDE My own house as I walk around.

and

2. Am i correct in believing that I am legally allowed to Conceal Carry INSIDE my own business? I own the Retail Business but I am renting the building space. The renter has no information in the lease about guns, and there are no signs posted around the building. Its basically a strip mall type building, 4 businesses in all, which all have exterior doors.

Tank you.
    If you have a concealed carry permit, then yes. If you do not have a concealed carry permit then, since Title 25 Sec 2001-A does not have any exceptions for private property, you would not be allowed to carry concealed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    If you have a concealed carry permit, then yes. If you do not have a concealed carry permit then, since Title 25 Sec 2001-A does not have any exceptions for private property, you would not be allowed to carry concealed.
    Really? I did read the section but I would question how they can have jurisdiction inside your house? Its looney if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Really? I did read the section but I would question how they can have jurisdiction inside your house? Its looney if they do.
    Are you allowed to have meth in your house? Are you allowed to grow pot in your house? Of course they have Jurisdiction.

Regular Member Ballistic Otters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    Are you allowed to have meth in your house? Are you allowed to grow pot in your house? Of course they have Jurisdiction.
    You can drive a car on private property without a license, no?

Anyway, as the law is worded, it would be illegal to CC on private property (but difficult to enforce). A business, however, is not entirely private property. The public has access to it, and current case law makes it look like you don't have the same rights in your business as your home.