• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In WA is it Illegal to Open Carry into a Church Since Its Private Property?

jham

I have been attending a church that can only be described as an apostate church at which I am one of only very few people who oppose Obama, oppose the UN, oppose gun control, and oppose the NWO. I might soon stop attending. I said a politically incorrect prayer a few weeks ago that elicited a very angry response from the wife of one of the volunteer pastors who exploded at me from behind, screaming at the top of her lungs that she was "sick and tired" of my interjecting political comments into my prayers.

(Here was the prayer: "I'd just like to pray for all of us as we head over the fiscal cliff together. As this happens, its important to understand WHY its happening. The Obamination is intentionally destroying our currency via deficit spending in order to trigger martial law so that America will be destroyed and forced into the Council on Foreign Relations long planned North American Union Collectivist Dictatorship which is modeled after the EU, which is a collectivist dictatorship. If you'd like more info, see me after the service in the parish house."

After the service, as I was walking into the parish house, the wife of this pastor unloaded on me verbally, and I calmly informed her (and her pastor husband) that I have the God given unalienable right to freedom of speech, and that I don't need their permission before saying any prayer I feel like saying. Shirley left the building, angry enough to spit nails, while her husband Chuck went and sat down. I got a plate of pot luck food and sat opposite him and asked him point blank if he felt that censorship had any place inside of a church. No reply. He then left.

When I got home I sent an email demanding an immediate apology, telling them I wanted a face to face meeting so we could clear the air. In this email I provided in depth footnoted info to back every word in my prayer, telling them I wanted to discuss it.

No reply, so that Friday, a few days later I called once again reiterating my desire for a face to face meeting, but the pastor told me his wife "didn't want to talk with me." So I told him I had at least tried and that at the very least I expected a written apology from his wife since he'd agreed that censorship had no place inside of a church. He angrily told me that I would "have my apology in the morning."

In the morning I received a one sentence "apology" with the word misspelled in the subject line. I responded to it reitering my desire for a face to face meeting to clear the air, citing additional facts to back my position. In this email I also said that "although the state open carry law would allow me to open carry anywhere in the state, including church if I wanted to, that I would not do this, I just wanted them to be aware of the law."

The next morning, as I headed towards church I saw a County sheriff drive up the hill past me, make a big U turn, and start heading towards me. I half expected lights and sirens as I turned into the church parking lot.

Next thing I knew both deputy sheriffs had their cars on the front lawn of the church as I climbed the steps towards the sanctuary as one of them confronted me saying he wanted me to come over and talk with him. I told him I was busy, that church was about to begin, whereupon I entered and participated in the service, half expecting them to come in and arrest me. I was not armed.

I now think I might have been wrong about the legality of open carrying into a church since it is private property. Was I wrong, and if I had open carried into the church does anyone know what the penalty would have been? I am quite stable, I just don't like the anti gun attitude of the Obamatrons in the Church.

Any insight here would be much appreciated. I had no further trouble from the sheriffs, but am pretty much being shunned by people in the congregation. It is the only church here in Point Roberts. I then sent a detailed white paper to the Church Council expressing my grievances with the rampant apostasy in this church. No response from them, although I was told I would have the chance to meeting with them.I intend to educate them to the best of my ability even though they've been brainwashed to the point where they are hopeless followers of Obama and the UN.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Moved thid thread from Forum Rules where it had no application to the Washington sub-forum - questions are state specific.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Not illegal to carry open, or concealed in a church in WA. As a private organization they can say you can't, and you need to leave. Weapon not even in consideration it sounds like an incompatible organization with your beliefs.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I have been attending a church that can only be described as an apostate church at which I am one of only very few people who oppose Obama, oppose the UN, oppose gun control, and oppose the NWO. I might soon stop attending. I said a politically incorrect prayer a few weeks ago that elicited a very angry response from the wife of one of the volunteer pastors who exploded at me from behind, screaming at the top of her lungs that she was "sick and tired" of my interjecting political comments into my prayers.

(Here was the prayer: "I'd just like to pray for all of us as we head over the fiscal cliff together. As this happens, its important to understand WHY its happening. The Obamination is intentionally destroying our currency via deficit spending in order to trigger martial law so that America will be destroyed and forced into the Council on Foreign Relations long planned North American Union Collectivist Dictatorship which is modeled after the EU, which is a collectivist dictatorship. If you'd like more info, see me after the service in the parish house."

After the service, as I was walking into the parish house, the wife of this pastor unloaded on me verbally, and I calmly informed her (and her pastor husband) that I have the God given unalienable right to freedom of speech, and that I don't need their permission before saying any prayer I feel like saying. Shirley left the building, angry enough to spit nails, while her husband Chuck went and sat down. I got a plate of pot luck food and sat opposite him and asked him point blank if he felt that censorship had any place inside of a church. No reply. He then left.

When I got home I sent an email demanding an immediate apology, telling them I wanted a face to face meeting so we could clear the air. In this email I provided in depth footnoted info to back every word in my prayer, telling them I wanted to discuss it.

No reply, so that Friday, a few days later I called once again reiterating my desire for a face to face meeting, but the pastor told me his wife "didn't want to talk with me." So I told him I had at least tried and that at the very least I expected a written apology from his wife since he'd agreed that censorship had no place inside of a church. He angrily told me that I would "have my apology in the morning."

In the morning I received a one sentence "apology" with the word misspelled in the subject line. I responded to it reitering my desire for a face to face meeting to clear the air, citing additional facts to back my position. In this email I also said that "although the state open carry law would allow me to open carry anywhere in the state, including church if I wanted to, that I would not do this, I just wanted them to be aware of the law."

The next morning, as I headed towards church I saw a County sheriff drive up the hill past me, make a big U turn, and start heading towards me. I half expected lights and sirens as I turned into the church parking lot.

Next thing I knew both deputy sheriffs had their cars on the front lawn of the church as I climbed the steps towards the sanctuary as one of them confronted me saying he wanted me to come over and talk with him. I told him I was busy, that church was about to begin, whereupon I entered and participated in the service, half expecting them to come in and arrest me. I was not armed.

I now think I might have been wrong about the legality of open carrying into a church since it is private property. Was I wrong, and if I had open carried into the church does anyone know what the penalty would have been? I am quite stable, I just don't like the anti gun attitude of the Obamatrons in the Church.

Any insight here would be much appreciated. I had no further trouble from the sheriffs, but am pretty much being shunned by people in the congregation. It is the only church here in Point Roberts. I then sent a detailed white paper to the Church Council expressing my grievances with the rampant apostasy in this church. No response from them, although I was told I would have the chance to meeting with them.I intend to educate them to the best of my ability even though they've been brainwashed to the point where they are hopeless followers of Obama and the UN.

QFT.

That's quite a doozy for a first post.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
It is not illegal in WA to carry in a church. However, it is private property and they have private property rights. If asked to leave, you must or risk being trespass from the property and being cited.

deanf

Was I wrong, and if I had open carried into the church does anyone know what the penalty would have been?

I think you are wrong all the way around. To just "casually" mention that you could start carrying a gun to church (even though you won't) after a disagreement with these folks? What was the point of that, exactly? I think it was to antagonize them, in a passive-aggressive way. I'm not surprised they called the police.

I'd just like to pray for all of us as we head over the fiscal cliff together. As this happens, its important to understand WHY its happening. The Obamination is intentionally destroying our currency via deficit spending in order to trigger martial law so that America will be destroyed and forced into the Council on Foreign Relations long planned North American Union Collectivist Dictatorship which is modeled after the EU, which is a collectivist dictatorship. If you'd like more info, see me after the service in the parish house."

That's not a prayer. That's a mini-manifesto. If I was religious, and if I went to church, I would find your faux-prayer most annoying, and might just say something to you about it.

Alpine

Church is private property, they can ask you to leave, but it takes them actually asking you to.

As far as I know this is the reason that McGinn holds a lot of his rallies and "town halls" in churches so the OC folk can't get in to embarrass him after his failed gun ban.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Church is private property, they can ask you to leave, but it takes them actually asking you to.

As far as I know this is the reason that McGinn holds a lot of his rallies and "town halls" in churches so the OC folk can't get in to embarrass him after his failed gun ban.

Of course the only real thing it does is prevent OC...

Ultra09

Pretty sure I'd find a new church for more then one reason!
A church is just a building.....

FrayedString

In this email I also said that "although the state open carry law would allow me to open carry anywhere in the state, including church if I wanted to, that I would not do this, I just wanted them to be aware of the law."

I feel like a part of the story is missing, this sentence just seems completely out of place with the rest of your post... Unless it's just a reference to how the rest of the congregation is pro-Obama-and-everything-he-does-or-wants... But... that aside.. Yeah, as others have said there is no legal restriction against openly carrying on private property; but if the "owner" (pastor? priest? deacon?) says to leave; you'd better head for the exit as the crow flies so as to not get charged with trespassing.

By the way, welcome to OCDO.

skeith5

Welcome to OCDO...

So let's recap... during a "prayer" you go off on a political tirade, which obviously wasn't taken well or the first time you've done this. Then you write a letter to them demanding an apology and you inform them that open carry of a firearm is legal in a church.

Why e-mail them demanding an apology? Why not just find another church to attend? What was your reasoning behind this "prayer"? If I witnessed the situation as you describe it I would have thought you were just trying to cause problems. Then to even talk about carrying a firearm in church? I would have never even let you back into the building if that was the case.

Scott

EMNofSeattle

I'll answer the question in the title... no it is not illegal to carry a gun into a church unless asked to leave, then it's trespassing

as to the body of the thread... well I have no comment

Trigger Dr

I'll answer the question in the title... no it is not illegal to carry a gun into a church unless asked to leave, then it's trespassing

as to the body of the thread... well I have no comment

WHAT?????
I do believe I just read MNM had NO comments. Can it be posible that Eric has been met with a subjec that he does not know about?
He stated "not illegal to carry in a church unless asked to leave"
Big news for you Eric it wouldl NOT be illegal until you refused and then possibly trespass.
You need to step back and forget the "Book lernin" and get some real world education.

kparker

1. Calling a political rant a "prayer" doesn't make it a prayer.

2. I yield to no man in my disagreement with, and indeed contempt for, many of our current President's policies. However, cutesy words like "Obamanation" do nothing to further the discussion with those who don't already agree with you; what's the point in not using more sober terminology to get across the same point?

3. As for the oc business, I'm with skeith.

LarryM

Unfortunately, there are a few leftists use the Church and Christianity as a visual and spritual prop - attempting to justify inherently immoral beliefs and lifestyles through an insincere profession of faith in Jesus Christ. Like true liberals, they become uncomfortable when someone sees through their sham and calls them on it, hence the tirade from the so-called "preacher's" wife....

Although I applaud you for expressing what is in your spirit through prayer, it seems like this "Church" exists in name only. I would bow out gracefully, and like other members have already posted, find a congregation that is more in line with your beliefs and values. I know that in liberal western Washington state that is a challenge, but it may be worth your while to at least do some research.

As for the open carry issue, I wouldn't in this particular place. The congregants are obviously hostile, and who knows if the politics of the local Sheriff will coincide and/or mesh with your 2A rights. No reason to spend a night in jail on a trespass charge.

sudden valley gunner

I wonder who the deputies are?

We have our church at Starbucks, Sunday mornings at 10 AM Bakerview and Northwest, our belief system is based on liberty and freedom of speech come on down.:lol:

EMNofSeattle

WHAT?????
I do believe I just read MNM had NO comments. Can it be posible that Eric has been met with a subjec that he does not know about?
He stated "not illegal to carry in a church unless asked to leave"
Big news for you Eric it wouldl NOT be illegal until you refused and then possibly trespass.
You need to step back and forget the "Book lernin" and get some real world education.

I think you're hairsplitting. on the wording.
because a person of average intelligence reading both our comments would get the same idea, when asked to leave, LEAVE

as far as his comment... This guy seems like a real character.......

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

I wonder who the deputies are?

We have our church at Starbucks, Sunday mornings at 10 AM Bakerview and Northwest, our belief system is based on liberty and freedom of speech come on down.:lol:

I don't know Rob, from the story I think the deputies were called by a church official, sounds like he's been agitating them for some time now.

Also if he does come to your meet up I hope he knows he Can't OC driving through Canada to get there....

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
jham clearly you used a different venue to voice your political viewpoints then what this time was intended for.
Don't get all butt hurt over someone else's objection and expect others to accept your view points.

Clearly you have other issues then just with the church, becoming outraged at someone objecting to your views, amazing.
Then demand an apology immediately and when you did not get it in a timely or desired manor you continued your outrage, anger issues?