• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

In WA is it Illegal to Open Carry into a Church Since Its Private Property?

hermannr

Jham: I OC at church, there are maybe 5 others that carry concealed at that same church. (in Mt Vernon) we occationally discuss what we carry, like to carry, etc, after service

No, it is not "illegal" and you do not have to ask "permission" either. However, if they specificly ask you to leave...you would need to.

But it sounds to me like you need to get off the Point on Sunday Morning. I'm sure you will find one more to you liking, even in BC (where you cannot carry) or drive down to Blain or B'ham.

PS, don't cry about the border crossing...I've been crossing that border for over 65 years..it is something you just have to put up with.

Last edited:

hermannr

Off topic, I'm curious: how do you get guns and ammo to and from Point Roberts, other than private boat?

Private air plane...:) You can actually take them over the border and back if you have a PAL and proper papers...and the pistol has a barrel length of 108 mm or more.

Freedom1Man

WHAT?????
I do believe I just read ENM had NO comments. Can it be possible that Eric has been met with a subject that he does not know about?
He stated "not illegal to carry in a church unless asked to leave"
Big news for you Eric it would NOT be illegal until you refused and then possibly trespass.
You need to step back and forget the "Book learnin" and get some real world education.

Trigger, this is hairsplitting on one forum rule. Personal attacks....:rolleyes:

Not disagreeing with you, just a friendly reminder....

adam3176

I have been attending a church that can only be described as an apostate church at which I am one of only very few people who oppose Obama, oppose the UN, oppose gun control, and oppose the NWO. I might soon stop attending. I said a politically incorrect prayer a few weeks ago that elicited a very angry response from the wife of one of the volunteer pastors who exploded at me from behind, screaming at the top of her lungs that she was "sick and tired" of my interjecting political comments into my prayers.

(Here was the prayer: "I'd just like to pray for all of us as we head over the fiscal cliff together. As this happens, its important to understand WHY its happening. The Obamination is intentionally destroying our currency via deficit spending in order to trigger martial law so that America will be destroyed and forced into the Council on Foreign Relations long planned North American Union Collectivist Dictatorship which is modeled after the EU, which is a collectivist dictatorship. If you'd like more info, see me after the service in the parish house."

After the service, as I was walking into the parish house, the wife of this pastor unloaded on me verbally, and I calmly informed her (and her pastor husband) that I have the God given unalienable right to freedom of speech, and that I don't need their permission before saying any prayer I feel like saying. Shirley left the building, angry enough to spit nails, while her husband Chuck went and sat down. I got a plate of pot luck food and sat opposite him and asked him point blank if he felt that censorship had any place inside of a church. No reply. He then left.

When I got home I sent an email demanding an immediate apology, telling them I wanted a face to face meeting so we could clear the air. In this email I provided in depth footnoted info to back every word in my prayer, telling them I wanted to discuss it.

No reply, so that Friday, a few days later I called once again reiterating my desire for a face to face meeting, but the pastor told me his wife "didn't want to talk with me." So I told him I had at least tried and that at the very least I expected a written apology from his wife since he'd agreed that censorship had no place inside of a church. He angrily told me that I would "have my apology in the morning."

In the morning I received a one sentence "apology" with the word misspelled in the subject line. I responded to it reitering my desire for a face to face meeting to clear the air, citing additional facts to back my position. In this email I also said that "although the state open carry law would allow me to open carry anywhere in the state, including church if I wanted to, that I would not do this, I just wanted them to be aware of the law."

The next morning, as I headed towards church I saw a County sheriff drive up the hill past me, make a big U turn, and start heading towards me. I half expected lights and sirens as I turned into the church parking lot.

Next thing I knew both deputy sheriffs had their cars on the front lawn of the church as I climbed the steps towards the sanctuary as one of them confronted me saying he wanted me to come over and talk with him. I told him I was busy, that church was about to begin, whereupon I entered and participated in the service, half expecting them to come in and arrest me. I was not armed.

I now think I might have been wrong about the legality of open carrying into a church since it is private property. Was I wrong, and if I had open carried into the church does anyone know what the penalty would have been? I am quite stable, I just don't like the anti gun attitude of the Obamatrons in the Church.

Any insight here would be much appreciated. I had no further trouble from the sheriffs, but am pretty much being shunned by people in the congregation. It is the only church here in Point Roberts. I then sent a detailed white paper to the Church Council expressing my grievances with the rampant apostasy in this church. No response from them, although I was told I would have the chance to meeting with them.I intend to educate them to the best of my ability even though they've been brainwashed to the point where they are hopeless followers of Obama and the UN.

A church or a store, park or places of Business Can claim private property, Government Buildings they will try and claim Government property. No matter what its never in the Interest of the "PEOPLE"

I think They would have to ask you to leave if they knew you had a firearm. I don't have a CPL. I don't believe in it For the simple Fact that once you lose the right to open carry then your fate is totally Under the control of the state that can choose if you can carry or not.

They can ask you to leave, Their is no law that says you can't carry into "GODS" house lol But Since the state has control of "GODS" house it may not be

https://www.youtube.com/user/adam3176?feature=mhee

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

A church or a store, park or places of Business Can claim private property, Government Buildings they will try and claim Government property. No matter what its never in the Interest of the "PEOPLE"

I think They would have to ask you to leave if they knew you had a firearm. I don't have a CPL. I don't believe in it For the simple Fact that once you lose the right to open carry then your fate is totally Under the control of the state that can choose if you can carry or not.

They can ask you to leave, Their is no law that says you can't carry into "GODS" house lol But Since the state has control of "GODS" house it may not be

if a chruch is God's house does that mean God has to ask you leave before it's trespass? is the pastor merely an agent of the owner? did god specifically delegate the agent of the owner powers to the pastor? is god complying with labor laws in regards to how the pastor is being paid and working?

adam3176

if a chruch is God's house does that mean God has to ask you leave before it's trespass? is the pastor merely an agent of the owner? did god specifically delegate the agent of the owner powers to the pastor? is god complying with labor laws in regards to how the pastor is being paid and working?

It would sure make for Good Argument to the state. But since the state claims church and state are separate I dont think they want to Blow their Cover to early!

XD45PlusP

So,

Interesting thread....

What happens when you are a dues paying member of said church? Can't carry cuz its private property? I call BS!

Last edited:

adam3176

Also. I would Like to make it clear so there is no Confusion. I do believe we were created. And I do believe in a creator. Im not trying to bash "GOD". All im saying is i do believe in a creator. The state is bashing god Daily on the news so we cant search for the truth

sudden valley gunner

Are you implying that getting a CPL gives up your right to open carry?

I had the same reservations I was reluctant and the idea of a CPL is still repugnant to me. I think what he is saying is if they outlaw OC, we are no longer in possession of our rights and become a "licensed" privileged few. Yuck!

Freedom1Man

I had the same reservations I was reluctant and the idea of a CPL is still repugnant to me. I think what he is saying is if they outlaw OC, we are no longer in possession of our rights and become a "licensed" privileged few. Yuck!

I got my CPL so I could dodge the wait period for the purchase of handguns.

It's nice to have now to OC in vehicles without unloading.

And yes the State constitution of 1878 does prohibited CC while the Corporate constitution of 1889 does not.

Flopsweat

I’m seeing a church visit that turned into an argument over free speech, fiscal policy, politics, global conspiracy and guns. This is OCDO, not OCD. ;)

On a more serious note, it’s not reasonable to expect a group of people with political views diametrically opposed to yours to tolerate you bashing someone they respect, especially in a pretend prayer. You’re mocking their religion and their politics in one shot. Of course one of them went off on you. It is also quite reasonable to expect them to call the police when you bring up firearms out of the blue in a confrontational letter demanding an in-person apology.

In case I don’t sound self-righteous enough already, I should point out that an apology that is not heartfelt is worthless. When it is coerced, it is nothing more than one person imposing their will on another. I’m not the religious sort and certainly no fan of the current administration, but I think you brought this on yourself by deliberately being obnoxious. My advice would be to apologize and try to be civil from now on. They are not going to change their political views to suit you.

Open carry at church should be a moot point for the time being. After the way you’ve acted, and since you’ve obviously frightened some of them, it would be inappropriate and unwise to open carry there now.

Also, welcome to OCDO.

Z1P2

To the OP, they probably took your comment about carrying as a veiled threat and called the sheriff about it. My question is: Why would you even mention that if it wasn't anything that you were discussing previously. The out of the blue mentioning of that sounds like a veiled threat to me too, and I probably would have done the same and made damn sure I was carrying that day too, I would have also issued a trespass notice to bar you from coming back. If it was something you had been discussing previously that would be a different story though.