• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry in comercial trucks

papa bear

Yeah, i know that this has been discussed before. but in light of this latest gun grab, i wanted to know if the rules have changed. my son is currently a driver and he would like to know.

i know the rules were under the federal transport rules if you were traveling in an anti state. that you had to obey the local laws and ordinances. has anyone heard of any changes

also, i had some one at wally world tell me about, making ammo go bad. anyone have anything on this also

WalkingWolf

I openly carried a handgun in my commercial truck. Here is the problems. You are not allowed to take firearms onto state ports, though they never searched my truck. You are not allowed to take firearms onto military installations and they will search your truck. If a driver does not have to make pick ups or deliveries in either places it is mostly good to go. Port work is fair pay but a pain in the rear, usually long waits for loading. Military is usually extremely good pay, but usually involves taking or picking up in ports which again is a pain. If you are going onto a base find something to do with the handgun before going on base.

I was searched going onto Fort Bragg, but not Camp Lejuene, but we had so many trucks hauling to Lejuene that the guards just waved us through.

papa bear

When I contacted US DOT they said it was a state issue.

So contact your State Patrol.

Sorry 223-45, i wouldn't trust a LEO to have a correct answer. as of right now there is no difference in carry in a private vehicle than a commercial vehicle.

we just heard a rummer that it was going to change

WalkingWolf

Sorry 223-45, i wouldn't trust a LEO to have a correct answer. as of right now there is no difference in carry in a private vehicle than a commercial vehicle.

we just heard a rummer that it was going to change
I don't see how they can change it, actually the Heller ruling would put a kabosh on changing it as long as the truck has a sleeper. While on the road the truck is the drivers home. As to trusting a LEO I agree, use the internet on a phone or at a truck stop to research each states law. The biggest problem would probably be NJ and NY. But the police cannot search the sleeper without a warrant though.

papa bear

like i said , i know we have discussed this before . so no new territory

just trying to verify or debunk a rumor.

agreed WALKINGWOLF. ports and bases can be a hassle. but i do know that bases you can check your firearm at the gate and pick it back up as you leave

as far as NY or such places the federal transport rules come to effect you can unload and secure it in a locked area, and you're good to go. though you still could be arrested, as was the Sargent in DC.

as for the sleeper, the present rules are there is no deference from a private vehicle. of course this is subject to state rules. but i do get the sleeper thing. i know here in NC it does matter

mrjam2jab

as far as NY or such places the federal transport rules come to effect you can unload and secure it in a locked area, and you're good to go. though you still could be arrested, as was the Sargent in DC.

FOPA doesn't apply if a driver is picking up/delivering to a state like NY. In that case the stop in NY makes it the destination.

papa bear

FOPA doesn't apply if a driver is picking up/delivering to a state like NY. In that case the stop in NY makes it the destination.

affirmitive. though if you have everything like fed codes you could possible get by. also what reason would they have for searching your truck. unless you say something stupid like; "why , yes officer i do have a gun in the truck"

that is what happened to the Sargent in DC. he stopped for a medical check

WalkingWolf

Now this is just a rumor and I have no personal knowledge, but if you put your gun box in your chain box it won't show up on x-rays.