• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help getting OR chl

Peanut170

I live in Vancouver Washington, pretty much 15 mins from downtown portland. I am in the Portland/ Oregon, area quite often with my children and would occasionally feel better to be prepared if the situation arises. And since there is no open carry without a CHL, that leaves me basically defensless. So i sent in an application to Washington county (Hillsboro/ Beaverton area) cause i heard from a couple people id have better luck somewhere other than Multnomah county. I explained that im in Oregon often tarvelling for my sons wrestling events to different cities and states almost every weekend, and had family in multiple parts of Oregon. They then called and denied my application because i dont have actuall business in Washington county that would cause me to be there at least 2 days a week, and or carrying large amounts of cash to be in fear for my safety. wtf. So I am going to try Multnomah county, and hope for better luck and try to write different reasoning why i feel the need for a CHL. Just curious if anyone has any pointers or has gone throiugh this that can point me to a better way of explaining why i should be allowed a CHL without sounding like i wana be a crimefighter. Any help would be appreciated.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While I am not an expert on Oregon law, I believe that the cause for denial was faulty - Oregon is a "shall issue" state with only a limited number of exceptions. Not being in the area 2 days per week is NOT one of those so enumerated.

Oregon will only issue permits to people who are residents of states that border Oregon. Those states are Washington, California, Idaho and Nevada. A non-resident from the states listed can go to any sheriff in Oregon and apply. The sheriff's office from Grant county has been found to have very good customer service and appropriate policies. They can be found at: http://www.oregonsheriffs.org/grant/index.shtml.

In 1989, Oregon also adopted a non-discretionary policy for issuance of handgun permits. The requirements were similar, though not identical to those we have already seen. The applicant must be over 21; must be a resident of the county where the application is made; must have no outstanding arrest warrants; must be "not free on any form of pretrial release"; must have demonstrated competence through any of a number of firearm safety classes; must have no felony convictions; must have no misdemeanor convictions or mental hospital commitments in the preceding four years; and must not be prohibited by a court from owning a firearm for mental illness

http://rkba.org/research/cramer/shall-issue.html#c11

We-the-People

While I am not an expert on Oregon law, I believe that the cause for denial was faulty - Oregon is a "shall issue" state with only a limited number of exceptions. Not being in the area 2 days per week is NOT one of those so enumerated.

Oregon will only issue permits to people who are residents of states that border Oregon. Those states are Washington, California, Idaho and Nevada. A non-resident from the states listed can go to any sheriff in Oregon and apply. The sheriff's office from Grant county has been found to have very good customer service and appropriate policies. They can be found at: http://www.oregonsheriffs.org/grant/index.shtml.

In 1989, Oregon also adopted a non-discretionary policy for issuance of handgun permits. The requirements were similar, though not identical to those we have already seen. The applicant must be over 21; must be a resident of the county where the application is made; must have no outstanding arrest warrants; must be "not free on any form of pretrial release"; must have demonstrated competence through any of a number of firearm safety classes; must have no felony convictions; must have no misdemeanor convictions or mental hospital commitments in the preceding four years; and must not be prohibited by a court from owning a firearm for mental illness

http://rkba.org/research/cramer/shall-issue.html#c11

For non-residents we are "May issue". Only residents get "shall issue" treatment. I would suggest applying in Grant County. As far as I know, sheriff Palmer will NOT deny you unless you should be denied (legitimately denied). He goes out of his way to help non-residents from contiguous states.

ORS 166.291(8) The county sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need.

LINK TO ORS CHAPTER 166: http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
For non-residents we are "May issue". Only residents get "shall issue" treatment. I would suggest applying in Grant County. As far as I know, sheriff Palmer will NOT deny you unless you should be denied (legitimately denied). He goes out of his way to help non-residents from contiguous states.

ORS 166.291(8) The county sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need.

LINK TO ORS CHAPTER 166: http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

Appreciate the clarification - at least I got the recommendation to apply in Grant County right and the OP has now been so directed. :)

Peanut170

Ok thanks for the replies, grant county is about 5 hours away so I will try multnomah county first and come up with some better reasoning. But if that doesn't work ill figure out a day to get to grant county, thank you.

hermannr

So when is "contiguous" going to be replaced with "any"? :mad:

The State of WA is contigous to the State Of Oregon. OR will issue Non-Resident permits only to states that border them, that is WA, ID, NV and CA.

The county you apply in, as a WA resident, does not have to be next the applicants county in WA.

randian

The State of WA is contigous to the State Of Oregon.
As a resident of a non-contiguous state, that does not help me, hence my desire to change Oregon's rule from "contiguous" to "any", or universal reciprocity. As I recall, universal reciprocity got passed by the OR House and got a treacherous stab in the back in the Senate.

We-the-People

As a resident of a non-contiguous state, that does not help me, hence my desire to change Oregon's rule from "contiguous" to "any", or universal reciprocity. As I recall, universal reciprocity got passed by the OR House and got a treacherous stab in the back in the Senate.

You are likely to have better luck at the federal level as Oregon has far too many anti-gun legislators to make any headway on the subject. It is within the constitutional powers of Congress to enact national reciprocity. This power is described in Article 4, Section 1 of the Constitution.

"Article IV
Section 1. Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And Congress may by general laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records, and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof."

While I'm not generally in favor of the federal government dictating what states do, Congress most certainly has the constitutional authority to require all states to recognize the licenses of other states. This is not limited to just marriage and drivers licenses, but also would include concealed carry licenses.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip-- It is within the constitutional powers of Congress to enact national reciprocity. This power is described in Article 4, Section 1 of the Constitution.

Please no national gun permit reciprocity.

The power to give carries with it the power to deny/restrict - that camel has a cold nose.

hermannr

How do you manage to keep shall-issue and OC?

Mostly by the court and the Oregon State Constitution. BTW: as much flack as I will get from the Oregon guys for this...Read the law...carefully.

ORS 166.250(3) says the th restrictions in this chapter "do not apply to a pistol carried openly on the hip". Also read ORS 166.173 Pay special attention to (2)(c) and (2)(d).

Please note: the execption in (c) is not identical to the exception in (d). Exemption (d) requires a Oregon CHL...absolutely no question.

Yes, when they attempted to clean up 166 back in 2009, they made the exemption in (c) to read abundantly clear...(c) is ment to mean any license to carry concealed by any any state or local government. (This is for OC only...we are not talking CC here with this exemption. Exemption (d) is for CC) Even without the change proposed in 2009, it still means the same, it is just not as clearly stated.

hermannr

Please no national gun permit reciprocity.

The power to give carries with it the power to deny/restrict - that camel has a cold nose.

The only thing the federal government has the legal power to do is to make the states recognize the lawful acts of the other states. I do not understand why you are afraid of this?

As the last attempt showed...it would do nothing more than say...if you allow your citizens to carry with a permit, you must recognize the same from otehr states. No attempt to impose anything else (they have no constitutional right to impose more that that)

We are not talking about a national permit, just a state permit being recognized just like your drivers license is recognized in all the states.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The only thing the federal government has the legal power to do is to make the states recognize the lawful acts of the other states. I do not understand why you are afraid of this?

As the last attempt showed...it would do nothing more than say...if you allow your citizens to carry with a permit, you must recognize the same from otehr states. No attempt to impose anything else (they have no constitutional right to impose more that that)

We are not talking about a national permit, just a state permit being recognized just like your drivers license is recognized in all the states.

You are talking about enforced national reciprocity - please cite where the federal government has that authority.

Driving licenses are NOT under a federal statute/mandate to be recognized in other states - the reciprocity is gained solely by agreement between the states.

http://www.shafferengle.com/Traffic...e-Compact-Reciprocity-with-other-states.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Compact

We-the-People

You are talking about enforced national reciprocity - please cite where the federal government has that authority.

Driving licenses are NOT under a federal statute/mandate to be recognized in other states - the reciprocity is gained solely by agreement between the states.

http://www.shafferengle.com/Traffic...e-Compact-Reciprocity-with-other-states.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Compact

I see it in Article IV, Section 1 & 2 of the U.S. Constitution though I could be reading more into it than the Supreme Court would.

Article. IV. Section. 1.
Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Section. 2. The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

It's certainly a lot closer to point than the "commerce clause" which has been used to justify all manner of things including forcing people to participate in commerce (i.e. buying health insurance).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I see it in Article IV, Section 1 & 2 of the U.S. Constitution though I could be reading more into it than the Supreme Court would.

Article. IV. Section. 1.
Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Section. 2. The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

It's certainly a lot closer to point than the "commerce clause" which has been used to justify all manner of things including forcing people to participate in commerce (i.e. buying health insurance).

Thank you - you make my point that there is no cite, only the opinion of some that Privileges and Immunities would prevail as the deciding factor. In that there are different standards for a permit in the various states and even where reciprosity exists you are bound by the laws of the state in which you are standing, which set up standards should be the model? Would you have congress decide that for all of the states - one standard for all?

I say nay. A thousand times nay! I do not want the ATF, Homeland Security or any federal agency in charge of concealed permits NOR keeping records of same = registration. Let the states work out their differences and come to some common ground as they wish. This has worked out well with driving licenses w/o direct application of federal pressure.

We-the-People

Thank you - you make my point that there is no cite, only the opinion of some that Privileges and Immunities would prevail as the deciding factor. In that there are different standards for a permit in the various states and even where reciprosity exists you are bound by the laws of the state in which you are standing, which set up standards should be the model? Would you have congress decide that for all of the states - one standard for all?

I say nay. A thousand times nay! I do not want the ATF, Homeland Security or any federal agency in charge of concealed permits NOR keeping records of same = registration. Let the states work out their differences and come to some common ground as they wish. This has worked out well with driving licenses w/o direct application of federal pressure.

If the Constitution is not a valid citation to the laws of the land then the second amendment itself is worthless. I doubt many here would take that stance.

When the Constitution says that, "Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof", well I think that pretty much gives them authority to require states to recognize each others concealed carry licences (by whatever name they call them). I does NOT give them authority to create a new, federally issued license, nor to set the standards within a particular state. But I see it as saying that each state must recognize the license of the other states.

The feds don't need to create a federal standard, individuals would simply need to comply with the concealed license standards of the state in which they found themselves. Just as we currently must obey the traffic laws even if they're different from the ones in the state where our drivers license is issued. Just as with our marriage licenses, and all manner of other Acts, Records, and Judicial Proceedings.

ONLY if the feds tried to institute their own, controlling, system would they run afoul of the limitations of the Constitution, for THAT is not within their powers.