Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Lake Washington Institute of Technology, will be doing a lock down drill 1FREB2013

  1. #1
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690

    Lake Washington Institute of Technology, will be doing a lock down drill 1FREB2013

    For your information.

    From: Sturgill Patrick
    Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 3:34 PM
    To: All College Employees
    Subject: LOCK-DOWN DRILL, FEB 1, 2013

    LWIT will conduct a Lock-Down Drill on Friday, February 1, 2013, at 9:19 AM.

    PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS ONLY A DRILL.

    Here's what to expect on February 1:


    * An announcement on the Campus PA system, at 9:19 AM, will notify you of the start of the drill. This drill is scheduled to last approximately 30 minutes. At the announcement of the drill please initiate lock-down procedures:

    1.) Lock and close classroom and office doors

    2.) Close windows and blinds

    3.) Barricade doors if possible

    4.) Turn off lights

    5.) take cover (sit or lay down) out of sight of windows and doors

    6.) Silence cell phones. .

    7.) Remain in lock-down until released by LWIT or Police Officials

    For this drill only, DO NOT call 911.

    PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS A LOCK-DOWN DRILL ONLY, NOT AN EVACUATION DRILL. The purpose of this drill is to measure our ability to successfully lock down our facility should we have a need to do so. Evacuation drills will follow at a later date.

    Designated LWIT Employees and Kirkland Police Officers will be moving about the halls to assess the effectiveness of the drill.

    We will gather participant feedback so we can improve on LWIT emergency response procedures.

    It is essential that everyone participates in this Drill. Your cooperation and assistance is greatly appreciated!

    Additional information will be provided in the days leading up to the February 1, 2013 drill.

    REMEMBER: FEBRUARY 1, 2013, 9:19 AM: LWIT EMERGENCY LOCK-DOWN DRILL.

    Sincerely,

    Pat

    Patrick E. Sturgill, Manager
    Campus Safety and Security
    Chair, Campus Safety Committee

    Lake Washington Institute of Technology
    East Building, Room E-145
    11605 132nd Avenue NE
    Kirkland, WA 98034
    Main Office Phone: 425-739-8224
    Private Desk Phone: 425-739-8135
    FAX: 425-739-8335
    [cid:image001.jpg@01CD08E0.3D362EB0]
    Washington State Representative, Past-President, and Member of the Board of Directors of the Western Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators (WACLEA), an affiliate of the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators (IACLEA)

    Edit-----

    I am thinking that they are trying to train students to be victims rather than having them learn to take responsibility for their own defense.
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 01-23-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  2. #2
    Regular Member Motofixxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the Rainbow
    Posts
    972
    So I wonder what they would do to a student if they refused to participate. Say for example you continue to sit in your seat or stay outside on the grass or???
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

    The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

    "To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

    http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

  3. #3
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer View Post
    So I wonder what they would do to a student if they refused to participate. Say for example you continue to sit in your seat or stay outside on the grass or???
    My question is, since this is a state owned college, would not the preemption apply here?

    Seattle tried to get around it by allowing the difference offices to create restrictions.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Fema region 10
    Posts
    6

    Drills...

    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    My question is, since this is a state owned college, would not the preemption apply here?

    Seattle tried to get around it by allowing the difference offices to create restrictions.
    Just throwing this out there, there has been many "bad situations" happen in recent history surrounding these drills. Aroura, 7/7 London, Sandy Hook, etc. They are the perfect cover for the excact thing they are supossedly trying to prevent, keep your eyes on this one...

  5. #5
    Regular Member massivedesign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Olympia, Washington, USA
    Posts
    866
    When the bells go off, and the PA sound comes on... Stand on your desk and rip open your shirt to expose a Superman outfit. Don a cape and run out the door... Please? I dare you!
    www.WaGuns.org

    Currently mapping locations of Shooting Areas as well as Gun Stores - Let me know what is missing!

  6. #6
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    My question is, since this is a state owned college, would not the preemption apply here?

    Seattle tried to get around it by allowing the difference offices to create restrictions.
    This is my understanding of the law and court decisions so far. The SCHOOL can restrict their employees, if they so desire. Sanctions could be dismissal, or whatever, depending on the employment contract.

    Students can be sanction by withholding of transcripts.

    Private citizens, in places that are unrestrictedly open to the public, they can do nothing.

    Private citizens in places that are not open to the general public, can be trespssed if they do not leave when asked to. (think class room, administrators office)

    Consider the UW Arboritum. It is open to the general public without restriction. UW property, but they can do nothing about a private citizen OCing on the Arboritum grounds (I've done it) The UW campus police will probably harass the h$%^ out of you if they see you, and will call the SPD...but it is worth a good 1983 suit if they do.

    May I add. it is interesting that at WSU they restrict the students, but not the staff.
    Last edited by hermannr; 01-23-2013 at 04:46 PM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Difdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    996
    I wonder, what the college's reaction would be if this scenario played out...

    Alarm sounds, door is locked, person (student or otherwise) draws lawfully-carried sidearm and takes up a guard position along the wall by the door with gun at low ready, to defend against incoming hypothetical murderer...

    Since it's a drill, you could even use a simulated weapon. Nerf pistol, perhaps.

    I have little doubt how the college administration would react, but it would certainly be entertaining...
    Last edited by Difdi; 01-23-2013 at 05:47 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    This is my understanding of the law and court decisions so far. The SCHOOL can restrict their employees, if they so desire. Sanctions could be dismissal, or whatever, depending on the employment contract.

    Students can be sanction by withholding of transcripts.

    Private citizens, in places that are unrestrictedly open to the public, they can do nothing.

    Private citizens in places that are not open to the general public, can be trespssed if they do not leave when asked to. (think class room, administrators office)

    Consider the UW Arboritum. It is open to the general public without restriction. UW property, but they can do nothing about a private citizen OCing on the Arboritum grounds (I've done it) The UW campus police will probably harass the h$%^ out of you if they see you, and will call the SPD...but it is worth a good 1983 suit if they do.

    May I add. it is interesting that at WSU they restrict the students, but not the staff.
    I am wondering of punishing students, that way, would be legal.

    I know that in the late 1990's the school had posted no firearms/guns signs everywhere. Now there are no signs and you have to really look to find the part that says guns are not allowed on campus at all, except for the police that is.

    I would think that wording like that would be a direct violation of the preemption statute. Besides it's not posted and the most of the place is open to the general public.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
    Posts
    753
    Sounds more like a "lambs to slaughter" drill to me. Barricading everybody in the room and locking the door seems like just waiting for the inevitable to happen. I can't help but wonder how many of those children at Sandy Hook might have gotten away if the plan was instead to have everybody run away from the school once a gunshot is heard.

    The interior doors of most schools do not provide much of a barrier. Maybe school designs should require at least two exits from each room so that instead of being trapped and waiting to be killed you have a means to escape.

    As an adult attending a college campus, I am not sure how cooperative I would be if the school went into lockdown.

  10. #10
    Regular Member tombrewster421's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Roy, WA
    Posts
    1,329

    Lake Washington Institute of Technology, will be doing a lock down drill 1FREB2013

    Quote Originally Posted by 911Boss View Post
    Sounds more like a "lambs to slaughter" drill to me. Barricading everybody in the room and locking the door seems like just waiting for the inevitable to happen. I can't help but wonder how many of those children at Sandy Hook might have gotten away if the plan was instead to have everybody run away from the school once a gunshot is heard.

    The interior doors of most schools do not provide much of a barrier. Maybe school designs should require at least two exits from each room so that instead of being trapped and waiting to be killed you have a means to escape.

    As an adult attending a college campus, I am not sure how cooperative I would be if the school went into lockdown.
    As someone who has worked on schools I can tell you that they do require at least two exits from every classroom. Sometimes it is accomplished by having a door into the adjacent class, sometimes just another door to the hallway or outside. The doors themselves are actually very solid and typically weigh at least 90 pounds. The older doors are better though because they usually only had a small window. The new ones have glass big enough to crawl through and a lot of the classrooms in remodels also have large windows in the hallway. With blinds of course. I thought that requiring blinds for every window was a huge waste of money considering all one has to do is break the window and push the blinds out of the way.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

  11. #11
    Regular Member Freedom1Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Greater Eastside Washington
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by tombrewster421 View Post
    As someone who has worked on schools I can tell you that they do require at least two exits from every classroom. Sometimes it is accomplished by having a door into the adjacent class, sometimes just another door to the hallway or outside. The doors themselves are actually very solid and typically weigh at least 90 pounds. The older doors are better though because they usually only had a small window. The new ones have glass big enough to crawl through and a lot of the classrooms in remodels also have large windows in the hallway. With blinds of course. I thought that requiring blinds for every window was a huge waste of money considering all one has to do is break the window and push the blinds out of the way.
    This does not apply to colleges evidently.

    There are many class rooms with only one door and some with only one door and no windows.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

  12. #12
    Regular Member tombrewster421's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Roy, WA
    Posts
    1,329

    Lake Washington Institute of Technology, will be doing a lock down drill 1FREB2013

    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    This does not apply to colleges evidently.

    There are many class rooms with only one door and some with only one door and no windows.
    If they remodel they must bring it up to code.
    Guns don't kill people, bullets do!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •