• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lake Washington Institute of Technology, will be doing a lock down drill 1FREB2013

Freedom1Man

For your information.

Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 3:34 PM
To: All College Employees
Subject: LOCK-DOWN DRILL, FEB 1, 2013

LWIT will conduct a Lock-Down Drill on Friday, February 1, 2013, at 9:19 AM.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS ONLY A DRILL.

Here's what to expect on February 1:

* An announcement on the Campus PA system, at 9:19 AM, will notify you of the start of the drill. This drill is scheduled to last approximately 30 minutes. At the announcement of the drill please initiate lock-down procedures:

1.) Lock and close classroom and office doors

2.) Close windows and blinds

3.) Barricade doors if possible

4.) Turn off lights

5.) take cover (sit or lay down) out of sight of windows and doors

6.) Silence cell phones. .

7.) Remain in lock-down until released by LWIT or Police Officials

For this drill only, DO NOT call 911.

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS A LOCK-DOWN DRILL ONLY, NOT AN EVACUATION DRILL. The purpose of this drill is to measure our ability to successfully lock down our facility should we have a need to do so. Evacuation drills will follow at a later date.

Designated LWIT Employees and Kirkland Police Officers will be moving about the halls to assess the effectiveness of the drill.

We will gather participant feedback so we can improve on LWIT emergency response procedures.

It is essential that everyone participates in this Drill. Your cooperation and assistance is greatly appreciated!

Additional information will be provided in the days leading up to the February 1, 2013 drill.

REMEMBER: FEBRUARY 1, 2013, 9:19 AM: LWIT EMERGENCY LOCK-DOWN DRILL.

Sincerely,

Pat

Patrick E. Sturgill, Manager
Campus Safety and Security
Chair, Campus Safety Committee

Lake Washington Institute of Technology
East Building, Room E-145
11605 132nd Avenue NE
Kirkland, WA 98034
Main Office Phone: 425-739-8224
Private Desk Phone: 425-739-8135
FAX: 425-739-8335
[cid:image001.jpg@01CD08E0.3D362EB0]
Washington State Representative, Past-President, and Member of the Board of Directors of the Western Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators (WACLEA), an affiliate of the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators (IACLEA)

Edit-----

I am thinking that they are trying to train students to be victims rather than having them learn to take responsibility for their own defense.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

So I wonder what they would do to a student if they refused to participate. Say for example you continue to sit in your seat or stay outside on the grass or???

My question is, since this is a state owned college, would not the preemption apply here?

Seattle tried to get around it by allowing the difference offices to create restrictions.

nadaslave

Drills...

My question is, since this is a state owned college, would not the preemption apply here?

Seattle tried to get around it by allowing the difference offices to create restrictions.

Just throwing this out there, there has been many "bad situations" happen in recent history surrounding these drills. Aroura, 7/7 London, Sandy Hook, etc. They are the perfect cover for the excact thing they are supossedly trying to prevent, keep your eyes on this one...

massivedesign

When the bells go off, and the PA sound comes on... Stand on your desk and rip open your shirt to expose a Superman outfit. Don a cape and run out the door... Please? I dare you!

hermannr

This is my understanding of the law and court decisions so far. The SCHOOL can restrict their employees, if they so desire. Sanctions could be dismissal, or whatever, depending on the employment contract.

Students can be sanction by withholding of transcripts.

Private citizens, in places that are unrestrictedly open to the public, they can do nothing.

Private citizens in places that are not open to the general public, can be trespssed if they do not leave when asked to. (think class room, administrators office)

Consider the UW Arboritum. It is open to the general public without restriction. UW property, but they can do nothing about a private citizen OCing on the Arboritum grounds (I've done it) The UW campus police will probably harass the h$%^ out of you if they see you, and will call the SPD...but it is worth a good 1983 suit if they do.

May I add. it is interesting that at WSU they restrict the students, but not the staff.

Last edited:

Difdi

I wonder, what the college's reaction would be if this scenario played out...

Alarm sounds, door is locked, person (student or otherwise) draws lawfully-carried sidearm and takes up a guard position along the wall by the door with gun at low ready, to defend against incoming hypothetical murderer...

Since it's a drill, you could even use a simulated weapon. Nerf pistol, perhaps.

I have little doubt how the college administration would react, but it would certainly be entertaining...

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

This is my understanding of the law and court decisions so far. The SCHOOL can restrict their employees, if they so desire. Sanctions could be dismissal, or whatever, depending on the employment contract.

Students can be sanction by withholding of transcripts.

Private citizens, in places that are unrestrictedly open to the public, they can do nothing.

Private citizens in places that are not open to the general public, can be trespssed if they do not leave when asked to. (think class room, administrators office)

Consider the UW Arboritum. It is open to the general public without restriction. UW property, but they can do nothing about a private citizen OCing on the Arboritum grounds (I've done it) The UW campus police will probably harass the h$%^ out of you if they see you, and will call the SPD...but it is worth a good 1983 suit if they do.

May I add. it is interesting that at WSU they restrict the students, but not the staff.

I am wondering of punishing students, that way, would be legal.

I know that in the late 1990's the school had posted no firearms/guns signs everywhere. Now there are no signs and you have to really look to find the part that says guns are not allowed on campus at all, except for the police that is.

I would think that wording like that would be a direct violation of the preemption statute. Besides it's not posted and the most of the place is open to the general public.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
Sounds more like a "lambs to slaughter" drill to me. Barricading everybody in the room and locking the door seems like just waiting for the inevitable to happen. I can't help but wonder how many of those children at Sandy Hook might have gotten away if the plan was instead to have everybody run away from the school once a gunshot is heard.

The interior doors of most schools do not provide much of a barrier. Maybe school designs should require at least two exits from each room so that instead of being trapped and waiting to be killed you have a means to escape.

As an adult attending a college campus, I am not sure how cooperative I would be if the school went into lockdown.

tombrewster421

Sounds more like a "lambs to slaughter" drill to me. Barricading everybody in the room and locking the door seems like just waiting for the inevitable to happen. I can't help but wonder how many of those children at Sandy Hook might have gotten away if the plan was instead to have everybody run away from the school once a gunshot is heard.

The interior doors of most schools do not provide much of a barrier. Maybe school designs should require at least two exits from each room so that instead of being trapped and waiting to be killed you have a means to escape.

As an adult attending a college campus, I am not sure how cooperative I would be if the school went into lockdown.

As someone who has worked on schools I can tell you that they do require at least two exits from every classroom. Sometimes it is accomplished by having a door into the adjacent class, sometimes just another door to the hallway or outside. The doors themselves are actually very solid and typically weigh at least 90 pounds. The older doors are better though because they usually only had a small window. The new ones have glass big enough to crawl through and a lot of the classrooms in remodels also have large windows in the hallway. With blinds of course. I thought that requiring blinds for every window was a huge waste of money considering all one has to do is break the window and push the blinds out of the way.

Freedom1Man

As someone who has worked on schools I can tell you that they do require at least two exits from every classroom. Sometimes it is accomplished by having a door into the adjacent class, sometimes just another door to the hallway or outside. The doors themselves are actually very solid and typically weigh at least 90 pounds. The older doors are better though because they usually only had a small window. The new ones have glass big enough to crawl through and a lot of the classrooms in remodels also have large windows in the hallway. With blinds of course. I thought that requiring blinds for every window was a huge waste of money considering all one has to do is break the window and push the blinds out of the way.

This does not apply to colleges evidently.

There are many class rooms with only one door and some with only one door and no windows.

adam3176

For your information.

Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 3:34 PM
To: All College Employees
Subject: LOCK-DOWN DRILL, FEB 1, 2013

LWIT will conduct a Lock-Down Drill on Friday, February 1, 2013, at 9:19 AM.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS ONLY A DRILL.

Here's what to expect on February 1:

* An announcement on the Campus PA system, at 9:19 AM, will notify you of the start of the drill. This drill is scheduled to last approximately 30 minutes. At the announcement of the drill please initiate lock-down procedures:

1.) Lock and close classroom and office doors

2.) Close windows and blinds

3.) Barricade doors if possible

4.) Turn off lights

5.) take cover (sit or lay down) out of sight of windows and doors

6.) Silence cell phones. .

7.) Remain in lock-down until released by LWIT or Police Officials

For this drill only, DO NOT call 911.

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS A LOCK-DOWN DRILL ONLY, NOT AN EVACUATION DRILL. The purpose of this drill is to measure our ability to successfully lock down our facility should we have a need to do so. Evacuation drills will follow at a later date.

Designated LWIT Employees and Kirkland Police Officers will be moving about the halls to assess the effectiveness of the drill.

We will gather participant feedback so we can improve on LWIT emergency response procedures.

It is essential that everyone participates in this Drill. Your cooperation and assistance is greatly appreciated!

Additional information will be provided in the days leading up to the February 1, 2013 drill.

REMEMBER: FEBRUARY 1, 2013, 9:19 AM: LWIT EMERGENCY LOCK-DOWN DRILL.

Sincerely,

Pat

Patrick E. Sturgill, Manager
Campus Safety and Security
Chair, Campus Safety Committee

Lake Washington Institute of Technology
East Building, Room E-145
11605 132nd Avenue NE
Kirkland, WA 98034
Main Office Phone: 425-739-8224
Private Desk Phone: 425-739-8135
FAX: 425-739-8335
[cid:image001.jpg@01CD08E0.3D362EB0]
Washington State Representative, Past-President, and Member of the Board of Directors of the Western Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators (WACLEA), an affiliate of the International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators (IACLEA)

Edit-----

I am thinking that they are trying to train students to be victims rather than having them learn to take responsibility for their own defense.

I don't Believe the Sheeple Really Understand what we are up against. I really dont think most of the gun owners really even can get an Idea on the scale of the situation we are in. These Drills are pre programing for planned events. Drills always end up going live at some point. They hire in advance people that will respond to future shootings that IMO are staged. I been looking at this for many years. They need Chaos to do what they are doing. And chaos is what we will get. And if the sheeple cant look past this and get their mind back we are in serious trouble.

This agenda is on a global basis. And if people think its there government they can see On tv they got something else coming. Because they cant fight an enemy if they can't see how they are operating