• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So here's a fun fact:

Oramac

A car going just 4 MPH has more energy than a bullet. Sounds kinda crazy, but I got the math to back it up. Pretty interesting perspective when you consider that people are afraid of guns, but don't think twice about getting in a car and going 90.

Math (hopefully my formatting carries over):

“A car traveling at just 4 MPH has more energy than a bullet”
E = ½ (mv[sup]2[/sup])
E = energy
M = Mass
V = Velocity

We assume a car weighing 3000 pounds, or 1360.777 kilograms. 4 MPH = 1.787 m/s
E[sub](car)[/sub] = ½ (1360.777)(1.787[sup]2[/sup])
E[sub](car)[/sub] = ½ (1360.777)(3.193)
E[sub](car)[/sub] = ½ (4344.960)
E[sub](car)[/sub] = 2172.48 Joules

Assume: 9mm 115 grain bullet at 1190 fps = .0074518 kg @ 362.712 m/s
E[sub](9mm)[/sub] = ½ (.0074518)(362.712[sup]2[/sup])
E[sub](9mm)[/sub] = ½ (.0074518)(131559.99)
E[sub](9mm)[/sub] = ½ (980.3587)
E[sub](9mm)[/sub] = 490.179 Joules

Assume: .223 round from AR15: 55 grain @ 3240 fps = .003563 kg @ 987.552 m/s
E[sub](223)[/sub] = ½ (.003563)(987.552[sup]2[/sup])
E[sub](223)[/sub] = ½ (.003563)(975258.952)
E[sub](223)[/sub] = ½ (3474.847)
E[sub](223)[/sub] = 1737.423 Joules

Assume: .50BMG sniper rifle: 750 grain @ 2700 fps = .048599 kg @ 822.960 m/s
E[sub](50)[/sub] = ½ (.048599)(822.960[sup]2[/sup])
E[sub](50)[/sub] = ½ (.048599)(677263.1616)
E[sub](50)[/sub] = ½ (32914.312)
E[sub](50)[/sub] = 16457.156 Joules

So, a .50 caliber rifle has more energy than a car, right? WRONG! Remember, the car in our example is going just FOUR miles per hour. Let’s see what a car going 50 miles per hour has.

Assume: 3000 pound car @ 50 MPH = 1360.777 kg @ 22.352 m/s
E[sub](car@50)[/sub] = ½ (1360.777)(22.352[sup]2[/sup])
E[sub](car@50)[/sub] = ½ (1360.777)(499.611)
E[sub](car@50)[/sub] = ½ (679860.387)
E[sub](car@50)[/sub] = 339930.193 Joules

Very interesting comparison.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Interesting.

However, at four miles per hour I am able to dodge that "bullet." A 9mm, not hardly. Energy transfer is irrelevant if that transfer is not to you. Also, if I am not able to dodge the "bullet" I have a very high probability of hopping a ride. A 9mm? Well.....not hardly.

As always raw data needs to be placed in a proper context.

Though, I have got me some trivia to toss at my drinking buddies. I foresee some free beer in my future.

+1 to you Sir.

Oramac

Interesting.

However, at four miles per hour I am able to dodge that "bullet." A 9mm, not hardly. Energy transfer is irrelevant if that transfer is not to you. Also, if I am not able to dodge the "bullet" I have a very high probability of hopping a ride. A 9mm? Well.....not hardly.

As always raw data needs to be placed in a proper context.

Though, I have got me some trivia to toss at my drinking buddies. I foresee some free beer in my future.

+1 to you Sir.

Thanks! And again, I wasn't looking at this so much for the practical aspect as for the "fear aspect" (for lack of a better term).

Many people are terrified of guns, yet don't think twice about driving their car, even though the car is arguably more dangerous. And frankly, it's not that easy to get out of the way of a car. Especially if it's going more than 4 mph. lol.

OC for ME

Thanks! And again, I wasn't looking at this so much for the practical aspect as for the "fear aspect" (for lack of a better term).

Many people are terrified of guns, yet don't think twice about driving their car, even though the car is arguably more dangerous. And frankly, it's not that easy to get out of the way of a car. Especially if it's going more than 4 mph. lol.
I respectfully submit that folks are terrified of guns.....in the hands of folks they do not know. Or, more correctly, they are terrified of folks who do not see the world as they see it.

Oramac

I respectfully submit that folks are terrified of guns.....in the hands of folks they do not know.

Or, more correctly, they are terrified of folks who do not see the world as they see it.

Those are not the same thing.

For the first, if that were the case, they would be afraid of all folks they don't know, since that is the crux of their fear. They would not be afraid if they knew the person, so it's not the gun, or even the person, they fear. It's the fact they haven't met the person. Which has nothing to do with the gun, or the unknown person, and everything to do with their own irrational fear.

The second would be true whether guns were involved or not. If they are terrified of differing views, the gun would have little to do with that fear.

OC for ME

Those are not the same thing.

For the first, if that were the case, they would be afraid of all folks they don't know, since that is the crux of their fear. They would not be afraid if they knew the person, so it's not the gun, or even the person, they fear. It's the fact they haven't met the person. Which has nothing to do with the gun, or the unknown person, and everything to do with their own irrational fear.

The second would be true whether guns were involved or not. If they are terrified of differing views, the gun would have little to do with that fear.
It seems we have diverged in our discussion. I may have not adequately communicated my point. Please permit me to rephrase.

I respectfully submit that folks are terrified of guns.....in the hands of folks they do not know.
When a citizen sees a gun on another citizen who they do not know they are either "terrified" and call LE, or they are not terrified and ignore the gun. This example occurs quite frequently. Yes, terrified is the incorrect term for all citizens who call LE, "fear" is more appropriate I think. If that same citizen saw a gun on someone they know, acquaintance or friend/family member, it is unlikely that they would be terrified (fearful). It is unlikely that a call is placed to LE.

Or, more correctly, they are terrified of folks who do not see the world as they see it.
Well done and point taken. +1 to you Sir.

Oramac

It seems we have diverged in our discussion. I may have not adequately communicated my point. Please permit me to rephrase.

When a citizen sees a gun on another citizen who they do not know they are either "terrified" and call LE, or they are not terrified and ignore the gun. This example occurs quite frequently. Yes, terrified is the incorrect term for all citizens who call LE, "fear" is more appropriate I think. If that same citizen saw a gun on someone they know, acquaintance or friend/family member, it is unlikely that they would be terrified (fearful). It is unlikely that a call is placed to LE.

Well done and point taken. +1 to you Sir.

I stand under. Thanks for clarifying it. We did diverge a bit, but such is life.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Thats it, I have had it!

I will be open carrying my car from now on!!

/me wonders about oramac.... simple statistic, cars kill more folks than guns every single day so ocforme must indeed be SUPERMAN lolol

Just humor guys, I have spent a great deal of time not arguing around here to try and help the cause a little this year, don't get me started lol.