Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: anxiety medication and Virginia Gun ownership

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lynchburg
    Posts
    167

    Question anxiety medication and Virginia Gun ownership

    My dad is getting ready to retire and is under a great deal of stress and pressure at work. He is considering taking a mild anxiety to help him sleep and get through to his retirement which is in August. I told him before you do let me make sure there's no laws saying he can no longer OC due to taking anxiety meds. Is there a Va prescription database that gets scan when buying a gun? This isn't a mental illness but give the gun grabbers an inch and they snatch a mile. Any and all info would help.
    Last edited by love4guns; 01-23-2013 at 12:38 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member crazydude6030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairfax, va
    Posts
    507

    Re: anxiety medication and Virginia Gun ownership

    I have been on meds for that for a year or so and just bought a 44 mag last week. From what I can tell he should be fine.

    However, those meds can mess with a man so don't carry for a few weeks when adjusting. Just some advice. :-)

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lynchburg
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydude6030 View Post
    I have been on meds for that for a year or so and just bought a 44 mag last week. From what I can tell he should be fine.

    However, those meds can mess with a man so don't carry for a few weeks when adjusting. Just some advice. :-)

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks!

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    N. Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    28,497
    Quote Originally Posted by love4guns View Post
    My dad is getting ready to retire and is under a great deal of stress and pressure at work. He is considering taking a mild anxiety to help him sleep and get through to his retirement which is in August. I told him before you do let me make sure there's no laws saying he can no longer OC due to taking anxiety meds. Is there a Va prescription database that gets scan when buying a gun? This isn't a mental illness but give the gun grabbers an inch and they snatch a mile. Any and all info would help.
    There is no such data base at this time.

    However their is a bill before the GA that could have a similar impact.

    HB 2263, Krupicka, allows the police to confiscate the guns of someone who a mental health professional feels might be a threat to their life or the lives of others, based solely on the word of said professional. VCDL STRONGLY OPPOSES

    HB 2263 will be heard in the evening on Thursday at 5 PM in the Militia, Police, and Public Safety subcommittee #1 meeting in the 4th Floor West Conference Room of the General Assembly Building.

    Expect it will go down in flames.
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

    Yata hey

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    89
    as crazy said above,

    No issue with the prescriptions, however like all meds of this nature avoid use of heavy machinery ( aka gun ) initially. Sometimes the anxiety meds have bad reactions.

    If he has been taking it already for a while and has adjusted to the medications then no problem carrying imho.

    As to the question of if VA takes a look, I dont believe so, but i would assume with the new measures coming federally this might be looked at and scrutinized.

  6. #6
    Regular Member crazydude6030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairfax, va
    Posts
    507

    Re: anxiety medication and Virginia Gun ownership

    Quote Originally Posted by moriar View Post
    as crazy said above,

    No issue with the prescriptions, however like all meds of this nature avoid use of heavy machinery ( aka gun ) initially. Sometimes the anxiety meds have bad reactions.

    If he has been taking it already for a while and has adjusted to the medications then no problem carrying imho.

    As to the question of if VA takes a look, I dont believe so, but i would assume with the new measures coming federally this might be looked at and scrutinized.

    This is a fear I have that suddenly I will be forced between being "normal" or having panic attacks when driving. Granted driving in nova can do that to anyone lol

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    16,850
    Dad should really look into these drugs first. They monkey with the brain's chemistry. Here is a psychiatrist who doesn't buy into his industry's hype about these drugs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARZ2Wv2BoFs

    Also, there's no telling about how the psych will evaluate his symptoms. Psychiatry is notoriously arbitrary. There's video on YouTube where an undercover somebody with a camera hidden in a hand bag went to several different psych's and they all gave differing diagnoses.

    Almost anything is going to be a better solution than these drugs. Long walks, relaxation exercises, meditation, etc.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-23-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. (Because that is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--for each other and everybody else--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.)

    Equality and consent of the governed: We're all equal. How can another legitimately govern me without my express consent?

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA, ,
    Posts
    8,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    ....

    Almost anything is going to be a better solution than these drugs. Long walks, relaxation exercises, meditation, etc.
    I am surprised and disappointed!

    You left out recoil therapy and prolonged exposure to combusted smokeless powder.

    If the OP's father can find a range that allows it, bring a stuffed Barney or Grover or Dora the Explorer doll. Do clean up afterwards, but leave the very small pieces for the birds and rodents to use as nesting material.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  9. #9
    Regular Member crazydude6030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairfax, va
    Posts
    507

    Re: anxiety medication and Virginia Gun ownership

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Almost anything is going to be a better solution than these drugs. Long walks, relaxation exercises, meditation, etc.
    Sometimes those things help but trust me on this, sometimes they don't.

    You also left out changing your diet.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Richmond Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    654
    The OP stated two different medical issues. #1. Anxiety and #2 trouble sleeping. Sleeping medication is no big issue. Anxiety is another story. I urge you to have your Dad speak with a medical doctor and have them suggest the best approach. Another choice is taking a beta blocker, which is nothing more than a blood pressure reducer. Perhaps this "anxiety" is all blood pressure related. Frequently beta blockers are prescribed to performers to help take the edge off before a performance. I call them butter fly reducers. They help get rid of the perceived butterflies in ones stomach.

    Whatever he decides it may take his body a few days or weeks to get use to the medication. In my situation having something to help me sleep on those stressful days fixed me right up.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,615
    I don't claim to be a medical professional at all. Whether or not he chooses to take something is between him and his doctor. And you've already learned there is no database.

    What I will say is that you've been given good advice about keeping a wary eye until the body adjusts to the new chemistry. I would also caution you that the other end is also true ... if/when one stops taking these medications there can also be serious differences in behavior and attitude.

  12. #12
    Regular Member OC for ME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    White Oak Plantation
    Posts
    8,441
    A cool frosty friendly, administered six times a day, in 12 oz doses, knocks the edge off and addresses most sleep related issues. Trust me, I'm in pre-med.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

    Politicians are the tyrants 3000 miles away; thug cops are 3000 tyrants 1 mile away. (Adapted from Benjamin Martin, fictional character extraordinaire)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •